possible eggbound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible eggbound?

I have one female who laid a clutch july 28th. She was supposed to lay last week and is super gravid just hasnt dropped like the other female. She laid 2 eggs, both infertile but this is her first year. She had a calcium problem earier this year, But I took care of that and got her calcium back up. What should I do? When is she gonna lay? I dont want her to do die this was my fist one. Old Faithful!

mmmmmm.. maybe theres no suitable places to lay eggs? .. or not.. haha r u sure that shes gravid if so then id go to a vet asap! sorry i couldnt help much.. i thikn crestedlady here can help u with eggbound animals

Comment

she has a laying box with moss. she laid in there last time! I dont know what to do!!!! HELP! She has to be gravid! She is huge and laid her first clutch a few weeks ago. She cant lay one clutch a year can she?

Comment

hmm... mayb eits a calcium deficiecny.. or possibly just a BIT more time.. =\ i hope crested gets here quick

Comment

she gets her share of calcium I dust the crickets then handfeed some to her. She gets it all over her! she was fine after I treated her in december. I hope shes ok. should I seperate from the male?

Comment

you might want to regulate the calciums from what you've said you are giving her a lot.. as to the nest box, how big is it and what's it look like, as well the moss doesn't sound righ try using some of the other nest box materials like coco bedding or vermiculite...
            Carpe Diem - Panta Rei

Comment

ok ill try the cooc.

Comment

And if that doesn't work you should just send her to me
                Ken
                http://www.kenssnakes.com

Comment

no jokes this is a seirous matter.. blahh i feelso bad.. and YES you shoudl seperate her for mthe male deifntly

Comment

Palex-

I currently am dealing with an eggbound female problem. She was supposed to lay her clutch a month ago and after a week of waiting for her to drop her eggs (I can always tell within a few days of when they're going to lay... both by my record keeping and by palpatation), I took her to the vet.

Unfortunately, in my area, we don't have any vets that are willing to work with reptiles. I called every vet in town, even the emergency vet that charges a bazillion dollars just for a Band-Aid... noone would see her until I called Banfield (at PetsMart... that was opening THAT DAY).

After examination, I was the one who had to tell the doctor what was wrong. He had no clue what kind of gecko it was or if she was eggbound. (*shakes head*) I asked him about several treatments. I asked whether an injection of oxytocin would work, whether he knew someone who could do the surgery, whether he could do SOMETHING. He left to call another vet and then told me that the only thing he could do was subcutaneous fluids now and surgery later. However, he said that surgery would most likely kill her, that she would die from the stress of it. Since surgery was about $250-350 and he said that she would probably die anyway, that option was out.

He took her in the back and gave her subcutaneous fluids (I wish he'd have told me that's what he was doing, I could have easily done this at home. HOWEVER, I've done it before... DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE BEEN PROPERLY TRAINED!!!) and then sent her home. Well, that was a few weeks ago. I've been watching her like a crazy person for any signs of stress and/or pain... and so far she's shown nothing. In the meantime, I've upped her calcium dosage SOMEWHAT (do not overdose your animal) by giving her liquid calcium drops every now and again.

Animals become eggbound for several reasons:

1.) lack of calcium (not the case with Penelope, her calcium sacks look great)
                    2.) lack of proper egg-laying site. Check your lay box.
                    3.) The egg is just too darned big. (This appears to be Penelope's problem... however not sure.)

What you should do:

1.) Take your animal to the vet ASAP. Get liquid calcium drops. Lack of calcium, I'm told, is usually the problem.
                    2.) Have the vet give her sub-cutaneous fluids. My vet did this to Penelope to help "lubricate her insides so the egg can pass easier". Ever tried to swallow with a dry mouth? Hydrating should help that little sucker pop out if it's going to pop out.
                    3.) SEPARATE HER ASAP! If she's eggbound, she doesn't need the added stress of an enthusiastic male jumping on her all the time. Keep her by herself to start the recovery.
                    4.) Make sure she's eating and drinking. I have to occasionally syringe feed Penelope. Make sure she stays hydrated. If you gently pull her skin and it stays "tented"... she needs more water.

The most important one:

5.) Make sure that she's actually eggbound. Some people get really nervous if the geckos don't drop their eggs on the day that expect them too. I've observed some girls digging around for days before laying their eggs. Be sure that you aren't coming to the "eggbound" conclusion prematurely. If you're not used to palpating, sometimes a large poo can feel almost like an egg. Make sure that she's pooping normally and that she doesn't just have a "really big one" in there. Make sure she stays hydrated b/c if it is a poo, being hydrated will help lessen the monster and get it OUT.

Good luck with your female! I hope everything turns out alright.
                    Last edited by Crested Lady; 01-07-2007, 10:31 AM. Reason: Left out a quotation mark... looked goofy.
                    ~Sarah~
                    www.CrestedLady.com

"This is your life, are you who you want to be?" -Switchfoot

Comment

***UPDATE: Definitely do all of the aforementioned... Penelope just now laid her eggs!***
                      ~Sarah~
                      www.CrestedLady.com

"This is your life, are you who you want to be?" -Switchfoot

Comment

Originally posted by Crested Lady
                        ***UPDATE: Definitely do all of the aforementioned... Penelope just now laid her eggs!***

yay thats so good to hear! good news for everyone.. was worried about her.. now we have palex's gecko to worry . jus tdo what crested lady advised dand im sure everythign will turn out okay.

Comment

Working...
                        X