Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie here!!

Hello all,

My husband and I picked up two female cresties at a show last weekend. We are pretty excited to find out more about them. We've set up the terrarium pretty well I think, and they seem to be settled in. . . pretty much
    Visit the little site I made with their pics at http://crestieladies.googlepages.com/thegirls

The lighter one (Kalian) is very adventurous and inquisitive about us, always watching, but the darker one (Mori) is very timid. She stays on her little leaf pretty much all the time.

Last night they both were out and about when we got home just before 9. We got a light with a red bulb for our viewing pleasure, and when I was setting it up I dropped it making a very loud noise. Needless to say, they both dissapeared pretty quickly after that. Kalian came out within 15 minutes and started wandering around, but Mori has not moved yet.

The food we put out last night before we went to bed was not touched. I am worried Mori is too stressed out.

Is there anything we should be watching out for?

Welcome to the Forum from VA! It may take them a few days of settling in before they want to eat. You said they were making noises, Cresties typically do that during mating or possibly fighting..
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Comment

Your site is cute! I love your pictures. Welcome.
      Melanie
      3.1 Chahoua
      6.20.19 Crested Gecko
      https://www.facebook.com/BertopiaGeckos?ref=hl
      http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser...a-b6af2bc66138

Comment

They are beautiful!! Welcome to the addiction....ha!!

Most of my geckos won't eat their food the first night...they seem to like it the second night (I feed every other day). I guess they prefer it older....just before it turns into a fruit roll up....hehe.

I have seen that posted many times on this board...so I am confident that it is very normal.
        5.7.1 Crested Gecko
        2.0 Leopard Gecko

Comment

What a nice album and your setup is beautiful, I love the big bamboo thing you ahve in there. Pretty girls too
          2.2.2crested geckos 1 ambilobe Cham
          1.1 PI chahoua 1.2 leachie 1 leopard gecko 1.0 Bearded Dragon 1.0 Hamster 0.2 Tortoises 1 possum
          1.2 KSBoa

http://www.iherp.com/cslinca

Comment

thanks for putting my mind at ease. i just felt badly because mori had been out but i must have scared the bejeebas out of her.

*note:it was the bang of the light that made the noise, not the lizards

when i was home for lunch she was still in the same position (not that i expect her to move around a lot during the day

i'd read that i should put the food in at night then remove it in the morning. if they don't look like they've eaten any of it can i leave it in the tank until it gets to the fruit roll up stage?

Comment

Got ya! They usually sleep during the day and are active at night. I leave mine in for two days tops
              Crestopia Reptiles
              http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Comment

Originally posted by leaping lizards View Post
                thanks for putting my mind at ease. i just felt badly because mori had been out but i must have scared the bejeebas out of her.

*note:it was the bang of the light that made the noise, not the lizards

when i was home for lunch she was still in the same position (not that i expect her to move around a lot during the day

i'd read that i should put the food in at night then remove it in the morning. if they don't look like they've eaten any of it can i leave it in the tank until it gets to the fruit roll up stage?
                Many geckos prefer their food a bit aged. I put it in on Monday, and pull it out on Wednesday night when I go to give them fresh stuff. I repeat on Friday, and then leave it over the weekend.
                ~ Funny Farm Geckos (UNDER CONSTRUCTION) | http://www.iherp.com/Kitishane ~
                1.0.0 - Ball Python (Titus)
                1.0.0 - Western Hognose (Boris von Huffenpuff)
                2.3.0 - Crested Gecko (Ace, Cosmos, Amelia, Dixie, Ducky)
                1.1.1 - Gargoyle Gecko (Gomez, Morticia, "Racer X")
                1.0.0 - Human (Mr. Hubbs McDowner)

Comment

we were going to feed them crickets on the weekends, so i'll probably put the mixed food in there for two days at a time for the rest of the week.

how do we know that they are both eating? just by how they are growing? we were worried about competition.

Comment

The easiest way to tell that they are eating is to look for feces. However, because you have a natural set up, and your geckos are rather young, it may be difficult to spot! Monitor their weight with a digital gram scale (I use the one Matt sells here) once they've settled in, and keep an eye out for waste.
                    ~ Funny Farm Geckos (UNDER CONSTRUCTION) | http://www.iherp.com/Kitishane ~
                    1.0.0 - Ball Python (Titus)
                    1.0.0 - Western Hognose (Boris von Huffenpuff)
                    2.3.0 - Crested Gecko (Ace, Cosmos, Amelia, Dixie, Ducky)
                    1.1.1 - Gargoyle Gecko (Gomez, Morticia, "Racer X")
                    1.0.0 - Human (Mr. Hubbs McDowner)

Comment

Welcome!.....I Leave my CGD in for two days also....My feeding schedule goes like this:

Monday= CGD
                      Tuesday= leftover CGD
                      Wednesday= Dusted crickets
                      Thursday= CGD
                      Friday= Leftovers CGD
                      Sat= Dusted crickets/treat
                      Sun= Nothing

This has worked well for me and helps me keep a schedule for myself and my cresties.

I love your tank....I would add a jungle vine or something just to give them something to climb since they love to so much....also it keeps them from hanging upside down on a side wall which can cause floppytail after a long period of time.

Oh ya!....and make room cuz your def gonna want more!..lol!
                      STEVEN

Comment

Originally posted by Kitishane View Post
                        Many geckos prefer their food a bit aged. I put it in on Monday, and pull it out on Wednesday night when I go to give them fresh stuff. I repeat on Friday, and then leave it over the weekend.
                        I do the same, except that on wednesday I feed dusted/gutloaded crickets, too (While I clean tanks). I also change their dish of calcium without d3 out to a fresh dish of calcium with d3 for the full 24 hrs. (I have seen mine lick it many times)

(I did want to mention that I am using those mushroom ledges with 2 oz cups...so if your dishes are shallower your timing may be different....and "fruit roll up" may be inaccurate...It's more like "peanut butter" before it turns "fruit roll up". )

I have to have a routine or things get left out...ha!!! With three kids, routine is your friend...that, and lists everywhere....
                        5.7.1 Crested Gecko
                        2.0 Leopard Gecko

Comment

Congrats on your new cresties!
                          1.1 Lampropeltis getula (Caldera, Zorro), 1.1 Crested gecko (Hiyori & Sundae), 0.1 Western hognose snake (Hinamori Momo), 1.0 African house snake (Kensei), 0.0.1 Amazon tree boa (Kon)

Comment

those schedules sound good. you guys have been so helpful!!

how do you feed them the crickets? we were warned to be concerned about them snatching up the substrate and were told to put the crickets in a container (like a glass) they couldn't get out of but the cresties could climb in and out of. it was also suggested to us that we take them out of the terrarium to feed them.

any advice on that?

Comment

I dust up some crickets and put them in a large kk or container.....Then i get to watch them hunt for them and make sure their all eating...They are pretty clumsy sometimes when it comes to hunting so accidental ingestion could easily happen and could cause impaction. Also you could put them in a bottom heavy glass they cant jump out of and put that in the tank so the gecko can just eat when he wants.....
                              STEVEN

Comment

Working...
                              X