Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Crestie!

Hey guys....

So I finally pulled the trigger tonight. I stopped by a Petco to put the finishing touches on my tank, and they had 4 BEAUTIFUL cresties. I tried to hold all four, 2 of those wanted nothing to do with me. Another I could pick up, but was very flighty. The last one, was AWESOME. He just sat on my hand, every time I tried to put him back, he would run up my arm and up onto my hair. He didn't want to go back!

So I went back a few hours later with my brother (wanted his opinion), and decided to take him home. The guys in Petco were great, and they were very impressed with my knowledge about them. The Petco on the north side of town is much better with the Petco on the south side of town, and I was very happy to give them the business.

They estimate that they have had them for 2-3 months, so he's got to be somewhere around there. So far he's very friendly. Last but not least, pictures!

Thoughts on the cage? I'm going to put a potted Saunsiveria in the front tomorrow, or later this week. He/she seems very happy. For now, his/her name is "Kai."

Thanks!
    Danny
    1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Kai)
    1.0.0 Leopard Geckos (Apollo)
    2.0.0 Dalmations (Kona and Jack)

Very cute Gecko. And the setup is nice also
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Comment

what an awesome gecko! When will you be getting another
      -Ashley https://www.facebook.com/BerryPatchGecko

Comment

Congrats!! Watch out, they are ADDICTING!!
        2.2.4 Crested Geckos - Fuego, Chacho, Dalilah, Mia, Ziggy, Scooby, Monkey, Piglet
        1.0 Bearded Dragon - Kimball
        1.0 Blue Tongue Skink - Spartacus
        1.3 Dogs - Todd, Dakota, Angel, Speedbump
        1.0 Cat - Willie
        0.0.1 RES - Squirt
        Lots of platys and snails in a big 'ol tank

Comment

VERY NICE GECKO!!! and nice cage setup. He is a male.
          Crested Geckos 4.8.7.2
          Leopard Geckos 1.0.0
          Portuguese Water Dog 0.1.0
          www.chasescresties.webs.com

Comment

Isn't it too early to know? I think he is 3 months old, tops.

Comment

It's definitely not too early to tell he's a boy, he's already gone and dropped a pair! *grins* Congrats on the new little boy!
              ~Rami | Nova Reptiles | iHerp | Facebook
              7.17.6.7 Crested geckos, 1.1 mix leachies, 1.1 Halmaheras, 1.1 African Fat Tails, 1.2 Tokays, 1.1 Oedura castelnaui, 2.1 Leopard geckos, 0.1 corn snake, & too many feeder bugs.

Comment

He looks like hes closer to a year old. Very nice gecko ^__^

Comment

Well, now I know, and knowing is half the battle! (G.I. Joe reference). Thanks guys, I thought you had to wait for pores to show to know for sure.

Edit: I'm not 100% sure on the age. The guy at Petco said they had been there for 2-3 months, and they got them as babies. Could be healthy eaters? Who knows!

Comment

When they're young, the only way to tell is through louping for pores. When a male decides he's most definitely a boy, that's the easiest way to know it's a boy, but it's a little harder because you still have to loup females and look for pores/no pores to know for sure, and even then, there are always late bloomers!

I would guess that a "baby" gecko to them would be a little different than a "baby" gecko of another species if they don't know much about cresties.. Thus, I suspect Kate is right, that he's closer to a year old.
                    ~Rami | Nova Reptiles | iHerp | Facebook
                    7.17.6.7 Crested geckos, 1.1 mix leachies, 1.1 Halmaheras, 1.1 African Fat Tails, 1.2 Tokays, 1.1 Oedura castelnaui, 2.1 Leopard geckos, 0.1 corn snake, & too many feeder bugs.

Comment

he looks great!
                      3.9.1 Crested Geckos

http://www.iherp.com/bonelessbeef

Comment

I agree with kate he is probably around a year.
                        Crested Geckos 4.8.7.2
                        Leopard Geckos 1.0.0
                        Portuguese Water Dog 0.1.0
                        www.chasescresties.webs.com

Comment

First update:

Took him out for a few minutes today and he was very calmy. Got a little hurried and jumpy after a few minutes, so I put some CGD on his nose for him to eat, and put him back. I can already tell he's going to be a great pet. I am so happy!

Comment

I love the color pattern on that guy.......Always great when the crestie has a good temperment also...
                            STEVEN

Comment

My Walter was the same way.....ha!! He is very handsome....I love that he picked you!!!
                              5.7.1 Crested Gecko
                              2.0 Leopard Gecko

Comment

Working...
                              X