Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am new to this forum as well as being an owner of a crestie. we got him 2 days ago and he is about a month or so old. Is it normal for them to just lie around during the day? we put him in a 30 gallon tank with plenty of greenery and places for him to hide and climb on. For food we bought some powered crested gecko diet by repashy, I have mixed some with water into a baby food consistancy and put it in a little rock bowl on the bottom of the cage along with a few crickets. I also have a small bowl of water as well as mist the tank about twice a day. My main concern is that he really dosn't move around too much during the day unless I put my hand in the tank and then he climbs right up my hand. I can't tell if he is even eating or eating enough?

Thanks for any info.

Welcome to the forum! Here is a link to the care sheet. http://www.pangeareptile.com/id52.htm

They are nocturnal so they do sleep during the day
    Sandy
    7.6.8.0 Crested Gecko 1.1.3 Gargoyle Gecko
    0.1.0 Pine Island Chahoua 0.1.0 Bearded Dragon
    My sweet meow meow I miss you!
    1.0 Painted Turtle Squirt

Comment

I'd actually suggest moving him to a smaller tank until he's about 4-5" long. Such large tanks can pose issues for finding food and can be stressful for such tiny geckos. He's going to have quite a pad when he's bigger though! I generally keep mine in large Kritter Keepers or tubs until they get big enough. Just a thought. If he's eating already, I'd just keep an eye on him and see how he does!

As for moving during the day, he's nocturnal, so this is completely normal. I usually don't let crickets roam around in the cage because they can be bothersome to a sleeping gecko. And just watch for poop. Babies eat very little, so you won't see lick marks in the food until they get bigger.
      12.15.4.5 Crested geckos; 1.1 Gargoyle geckos; 1.1 Leopard geckos; 1.1 Fat-tailed geckos; 2.0 Viper geckos; 1.0 male dwarf rabbit; lots of fish

Comment

Thanks for the welcome Saucy and Kennedy. You think that I should partition a smaller space off in the 30 gallon tank to make it less stressful? I know that the breeder had 3 of them in a 10 gallon tank. I dont have a kritter keeper so If partitioning off a smaller space is ok then I might do that. I do not know if he has eaten yet. I know at night he moves around quite a bit. Thanks for your ideas and the link. These creatures are so wild. I can see getting another one or three down the road.lol

Comment

Be careful they are addicting! Don't expect any of us to keep you under control either! What you don't have money for cresties and food? Do you really need to eat? Post pics as soon as you can we never get enough around here.
          Sandy

Comment

I will try and get pics in the next day or so. I partitioned the 30 gallon tank we have him in to about 1/3 of the size. Hope that is better for him for now.

Comment

That should be good and do not worry I think everyone of us when we were new freaked about not seeing them eat. So keepp him on paper towels and just look for poo.
              Sandy

Comment

Welcome! And as Sandy said don't expect any help or support when you need to be reeled in but bet your bottom dollar we WILL cheer you on if you are spending your bottom dollar on just one more.
                Specializing in R. Chahoua

Comment

I put a partition up but I guess Fresno is a little prone to adventure and this morning I found him on the opposite side of the partition. Here is a question kennedy, what does there poo look like?

Laura, I have already talked to the wife about getting future cresties, she wants to make sure this one does ok first but bet you bottom dollar there will eventually be another one, I wouldn't mind breeding them down the road.

Comment

welcome and kritter keepers are only 5 bucks for the size you need you should find them at your local pet store they look like this http://www.petco.com/product/5914/Le...r-Keepers.aspx pet smart,pet supplies and petco all carry them its alot easyer to find food for them that way they will put on more weight if there not spending all there energy looking for food they only eat a few licks of food a night so if you wanna get a little food and put it on his nose to amke sure hes eating every night you can he'll probly only eat what you put on his nose and be full use like one plant and paper towels in the kritter keeper you dont want it to be too crowded and paper towels arnt the prettyest to look at but there black poo shows up real easy on it and it'll hold the humidity you'll probly only wanna spray at night and let it dry out during the day he'll probly stay in a med-large (not xlarge) sized one for about 4 to 5 months maybe more i wouldnt put him in the 30 gallon until hes atleast a year or just plain too big for teh kritter keeper hope this helps ^__^ email if you want a pic of all my kritter keepers so you can see exactly what im talking about kandiplurgirl@aol.com

Comment

Poo looks like one tiny mouse dropping when they are that small. Its going to be hard to find in such a large tank.
                      What I would do is go get a med size Kritter Keeper (most pet stores have them)
                      Line the bottom with paper towels, get a fake suction cup plant and either some egg crating (to hold moisture) or I put in a very small tupperware with some of the eco earth kept moist. Then I use the plastic tops from soda bottles one for filtered water and one for food. Mist well twice a day as the little ones shed a lot more.
                      It won't be a waste with the kitter keepers, you can and will use them later for babies, when you buy more,when you need to give the gecko a soaking because its run through the cgd, lots of reasons.
                      After that your job is to keep it clean, well fed, hydrated and make sure there is no skin shed left after a shed and thats the basics.

Comment

I was putting in my post at the same time as the poster before me. But a KK is a better idea. I think you will feel better and more able to monitor your gecko.

Comment

its cool laura the more people saying it the more confident our new owner will feel about the inforation being said ya know? ^__^

Comment

I think I am going to get a KK today, I like the idea of putting a little food on his nose the ensure he eats some. Actually I like all the current ideas from everyone on here, looks like a great place for info

Comment

Here are a few pics of Fresno, I will tell you this much, I had a bear of a time trying to get it to focus on him.lol
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X