breeding issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breeding issues

I've got a pair of cresteds together now and as far as I can tell, there's been no breeding. I kept checking in on them the first night I introduced them and listened for any noises and nothing happened. I separated them the next day and figured I'd wait a while. I just put them back together a few days ago and they've been in with each other since. If they have bred, is it pretty likely I'd see bite marks on the female or anything of that sort? Both are definately mature and the temperature is right at 70 now, but may fluctuate one or two degrees at times. I'll keep watching the female just in case they hooked up, but I have a feeling they haven't yet. Any tips for getting the male to go after her? I tried misting them which didn't seem to do any good. If it makes any difference, the male was tasting everything when I first put him in with her, but completely ignored her. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
    http://www.facebook.com/appalachian.ectotherms

70 is not an ideal temp... but geckos should still do thier thing(mine did at a 66-68 degrees)
    Try leaving him in there for more than a few days... Most often you wont catch them in the act, unless you stay up all night watching them.
    I have actually caught mine in the act and have never seen bite marks, etc the day after.
    Also make sure you have 12 hours or more of Light exposure(to simulate spring/summer time daylight hours)
    ~Eric Roberts~

If you ask a question you don't want an answer to, Expect an answer you don't want to hear.

'98 Jetta TDI 5spd, 233k miles, 42 MPG lifetime AVG(lost milage spreadsheet with HD failure last year )
    '00 Jetta TDI 5spd, 152k miles, 46 MPG lifetime AVG 2000TDIlogbook.xls

Comment

They are getting a good photoperiod-my window blinds are open all day and lights are on in here until about 10 each night. You think I should leave them together then? I was thinking of separating them again but I'm new at the whole breeding thing so maybe a reintroduction isn't best. Assuming they have bred, how soon should I put a nest box in there? I don't have the Rhac manual handy but I was thinking it's a few weeks or something like that? Thanks.

Originally posted by ericdrob67
      70 is not an ideal temp... but geckos should still do thier thing(mine did at a 66-68 degrees)
      Try leaving him in there for more than a few days... Most often you wont catch them in the act, unless you stay up all night watching them.
      I have actually caught mine in the act and have never seen bite marks, etc the day after.
      Also make sure you have 12 hours or more of Light exposure(to simulate spring/summer time daylight hours)
      http://www.facebook.com/appalachian.ectotherms

Comment

ok there is one way to get them going, if they have been at 70 raise the temp to 80 for a couple of weeks. and leave them alone dont seperate them. u will know when a mating has taken place when the female gets fat real quick. put a lay box in there after 2 - weeks as 4 week is about average laying time.
        http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/7...fbba61fvt1.gif
        www.world-reptiles.com

Comment

Yeah boost the temp. up a bit and they should "do it". I have some that will mate at 70 but for better results raise it. They might of already done it without you knowing (it can happen in just a few minutes). But just leave them together and it will happen; sometimes first timers take a little longer to figure out what to do.
          Derek Dunlop
          DDReptiles
          www.DDReptiles.net
          Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Comment

Working...
          X