Crestie Panic Attack!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crestie Panic Attack!

Well, I've had my first official crestie panic attack! I snuck home from work to check email...and glanced over at my newest little crestie, a light colored kinda grey 6 week old I'd purchased from Matt. And the critter keeper was on the floor, lid off, everything scattered everywhere.

I immediately paniced and started checking low. Under this and that...and I found a little tail. I was already crying but after seeing his tail I started sobbing. I have this darn curious cat that just won't leave my crestie cages alone. She doesn't want to hunt them, but she does want to watch them...

Anyhow, I was afraid that maybe she ate him! She doesn't have claws, but I'm guessing that she probably smacked at his tail which he immediately dropped. And the wonderful wriggling tail must have given enough of a distraction that he was able to escape.

I almost didn't see him, he was camo'd with my carpet, thank goodness he still has those red eyes! He was sitting about 6" away from the tail underneath my cast iron sewing machine stand. I scooped him up and checked him over, can't find anything amiss.

I went ahead and put him in a quiet corner and misted him again. Checked on him a bit later, fed him crix. He was hungry and ate 7 little ones. Yeah! So, I'll keep watching him and hopefully things will continue as they are.

I've decided to name him Love Bug, as he looks like a little bug and he's going to need lots of love. Has anybody ever tried drying out a tail to keep? I'm thinking of hanging on to his if I can figure out how to dry it out. ***See below posts, Love Bug is now JEEP. ***

Oh, and hubby is staying up to re-hang the door to the reptile room so we can ensure that a cat situation does not occur again. *sigh* All's well that ends well...

Love Bug fired up and tail-less.

Last edited by Cicada Hollow; 02-03-2006, 11:45 PM.
    ~ Dorothy ~

4.7 Crested Gecko ~ 2.0.1 Chahoua ~ 0.1 Gargoyle
    1.2 Leopard Gecko ~ 1.0 Bearded Dragon ~ 1.1 Pictus
    1.0 Anole ~ 1.0 Box Turtle ~ 1.0 Tree Frog

Poor little Love Bug..........he had a very scarry day. Can you imagine what that must be like........eeeeekkkkk.
    My cats are also into watching the cresteds but, I have mine in 10 and 20 gal. long tanks so they can't get into them.
    I think they look so cute without their tales........... I really think it is a bum rap though that they do not grow back.
    As for drying the tale out..........hhhhmmmm........I don't know about that one. Just hang it in a dry place and see what happens or maybe put it in some silicone beads for drying flowers.

Comment

He does look cute without the tail. Glad you found him/her. I have my reptiles in there own part of the house so kitties don't screw anything up.
      Derek Dunlop
      DDReptiles
      www.DDReptiles.net
      Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Comment

Well, my bad little kitties are supposed to be critter safe, but they gotten to watching crix-vision at night. Which lead Autumn to gecko-vision. I really don't believe she was intending harm, but I'm not about to take a chance. We've gotten the door fixed so it closes properly and now the geckos are officially seperated from the rest of the world.

Hubby is going to make me a gecko cage stand in the shop, but we still have to decide upon diminsions and such. I know I want room for crix on the bottom, and then my 18x18x24 Exo Terras on the next level. Then my 12x12x18 Exo Terras on the top level.

I've put my remaining hatchlings and their critter keepers way up high, just in case a kitty sneaks in, so that they aren't accessible. I'm planning on working more on my cages and setups this weekend, so will make sure everyone is safe.
        ~ Dorothy ~

Comment

My adults and sub adults are all in Exo Terras, they are the absolute best! Meanwhile, my juvis and hatchlings are in critter keepers...

I don't love little Love Bug any less just because he lost his tail. He does look cute, lol...

Originally posted by jadeboa
          Poor little Love Bug..........he had a very scarry day. Can you imagine what that must be like........eeeeekkkkk.
          My cats are also into watching the cresteds but, I have mine in 10 and 20 gal. long tanks so they can't get into them.
          I think they look so cute without their tales........... I really think it is a bum rap though that they do not grow back.
          As for drying the tale out..........hhhhmmmm........I don't know about that one. Just hang it in a dry place and see what happens or maybe put it in some silicone beads for drying flowers.
          ~ Dorothy ~

Comment

Well he's still cute even without the tail. And the tail did what it was supposed to do, wriggling around distracting the cats while Love Bug made his daring escape. I'm glad he's OK.

Comment

What cute little guy. I'm glad he's okay!!
              ~Kimmy
              3.2 Crested Geckos, 0.1 Creamsicle Corn Snake, 1.1 Felines

Comment

Hehe, Love bug is a very cute little tail-less guy Glad to hear he is safe and sound!
                My kitties love my cresteds as well. But they cant get to them, they can just watch them from the floor. The cresteds and the cats will have stare-down contests all the time. heck, the geckos try their hardest to push through the glass to get to them. The cats just sit there and stare, swishing their tails. I think thats what the geckos are seeing and want so bad, maybe the cat tails remind them of worms?
                ~Melissa~

Comment

Me too! And I've been wanting a crestie to just have as a pet, lol...so there you go! The only problem I have now is with hubby, and it looks like I'm going to have to give in to him. He says that the little guy has had to switch over to 4 wheel drive, so he's calling him Jeep. Guess Love Bug will have to be saved for another. Lol...

Originally posted by Matthew Parks
                  Well he's still cute even without the tail. And the tail did what it was supposed to do, wriggling around distracting the cats while Love Bug made his daring escape. I'm glad he's OK.
                  ~ Dorothy ~

Comment

I had a similar thing happen to me today that freaked me out. My cats always watch the cresteds, but now i have a new baby in a small critter keeper. Today it was knocked over with the lid off and then i ran to find my cats and 2 of the 3 were in the kitchen with the crested right in front of them. They didn't hurt it, but they did carry it half way through the house (i find them carrying crix around sometimes, but not killing them). Well it seems.......glad you found yours also!

Comment

It must be the time for crested panic..... I went to put some crix in Nehi's cage last night and the little guy doinked out of his cage and right under my legs as I was sitting cross-legged on the floor!!!!! So I'm perfectly still, yelling my head off for my husband who is downstairs and apparently deaf. About 5 mins. later he comes upstairs (I'm nearly hoarse) and asks what i want. Checks under my legs, no gecko. I stand up, remove my baggy pants to check for squashed gecko parts, and then start searching the room. LUCKILY, I found him about a minute later hiding behind the trash can. HUGE sigh of relief. Man, it seems like the little ones can move faster than the adults!

Violon, I am really glad that your cats have bird-dog mouths! And i am glad that Love Bug/Jeep is OK too.
                      "Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight;
                      You gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight....."
                      --Bare Naked Ladies

Comment

when I was 7, I had my first lizards, the Notorious House Geckos! Well, I used to fly through a dozen of those in a month or so. Id keep them alive, but when I went to clean my nice little planted 10 gallon, they would always get loose. Id loose one and ball my eyes out until I got another. One night, I was talking to my parents, I see a small, tailess lizard running in their room. It is right near us. I tell my dad not to move. The gecko goes right under his shoe and I told him not to step down, too bad he was clueless as to what was going on. He took a step down right as I told him not to, crushing the little gecko.

That is my Biggest panic attack. Ive had a few though.

Comment

Working...
                        X