My First Eggs :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Eggs :)

I posted this under my original topic... Caught in the act... but it seems the title wasnt interesting enough for most people to read/reply to.

WOO WOO!!! I have Eggs

One of the eggs im not sure if i managed to keep the up side up..... at this stage of the egg is it that critical? I also messed up the date.... should have been 1-31... i forgot that Jan had 31 days. I was a bit excited at having found my first eggs :P Eggs weighed in at 1.6 and 1.7 grams.

more news.... She did not use the lay box i had in the enclosure.... I had 1/2 to 3/4 inch of coco fiber for substrate.... she laid eggs in the corner, piling some more coco fiber on top of eggs. I thaught that i had a "thin" enough layer that she would lay in the egg box.

Good news... I also found more eggs....

Bad news.... I was taking all the coco fiber out of enclosure to switch to paper towel... I wasnt being that careful and dented an egg pretty badly(wasnt expecting to find more eggs). dented egg weighs 1.7 and the other weighs 2.0 grams.... the second egg looks like it should be viable. I think the dented egg is pretty much DOA This is both of my females first clutches... so im just keeping my fingers crossed that if im lucky one egg will hatch. I know quite often, that a females first clutch arent fertile

I got a new scale for Xmas.... so i had been weighing all my geckos every 2-3 days, just to keep a good eye on them all. I didnt see any variations in weight from xmas until today(female i know laid fresh eggs dropped 4.4 grams) So i dont really know how old the "old" eggs are They are all in my home-made incubator now at 75-77 degrees. I "candled" the eggs and dont see any signs of veins/embryo yet..... Can anyone give me more info on when i can expect to see some signs of life inside?

Momma

Poppa

~Eric Roberts~

If you ask a question you don't want an answer to, Expect an answer you don't want to hear.

'98 Jetta TDI 5spd, 233k miles, 42 MPG lifetime AVG(lost milage spreadsheet with HD failure last year )
    '00 Jetta TDI 5spd, 152k miles, 46 MPG lifetime AVG 2000TDIlogbook.xls

dont give upon that dented one yet. the embryo has plenty of time to grow and push that dent out. if u candle the eggs u will see the magic cheerio in a couple weeks.
    http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/7...fbba61fvt1.gif
    www.world-reptiles.com

Comment

The mom is gorgeous, so is the dad !!! Congrats!
      (¯`'·.¸..(¯`'·.¸ \\Megan// ¸.·'´¯)..¸.·'´¯)
      0.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Greta)
      http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e144/gecko_newbie/

Comment

I candled the eggs today.... the two new eggs have yoke already forming in a ring at the top of egg.

The two older eggs(on right in pic) are both very pink/red inside, but dont see any veins/yoke.... Im unsure on the age of these two eggs, im guessing somewhere between 2 weeks and a month old.

Ill try to get pics up soon as i have another set of hands to help me... dont want to drop anything :P
        ~Eric Roberts~

If you ask a question you don't want an answer to, Expect an answer you don't want to hear.

'98 Jetta TDI 5spd, 233k miles, 42 MPG lifetime AVG(lost milage spreadsheet with HD failure last year )

Comment

Congrats on the eggs!

Usually it takes a week or so to see the "Magic Cheerio" (one of my fav. descriptions... it really does look like a pink cheerio)... sometimes they're there immediately, it all depends on when your female decided to lay them.

NEVER give up on an egg until you are positive it's beyond all hope. I've dropped eggs, had incubators flipped by a spastic dog, even had half dark/half white eggs hatch out completely normal babies. Better safe than sorry.

Keep us posted!
          ~Sarah~
          www.CrestedLady.com

"This is your life, are you who you want to be?" -Switchfoot

Comment

Congrats on your eggs! Momma and Poppa are a couple of very pretty cresteds!
            ~Melissa~

Comment

Congrats!! I'm so happy for you! I can't wait to find eggs myself, so am totally excited about anyone else getting any, lol. Your cresties are beautiful, and I think the momma is absolutely stunning.
              ~ Dorothy ~

4.7 Crested Gecko ~ 2.0.1 Chahoua ~ 0.1 Gargoyle
              1.2 Leopard Gecko ~ 1.0 Bearded Dragon ~ 1.1 Pictus
              1.0 Anole ~ 1.0 Box Turtle ~ 1.0 Tree Frog

Comment

YAY.... my other female just laid 2 eggs this morning, weighing in at 1.9 and 1.8 grams.
                She was with the same male.

So... that would make my "old" eggs at least 1 month old.... anyone have any pics or links that show what a 1 month old candling looks like? Im still waiting for wife or someone else to give me a hand so i can take pics of my candlings.
                Last edited by ericdrob67; 02-03-2006, 05:17 PM.
                ~Eric Roberts~

Comment

Originally posted by ericdrob67
                  So... that would make my "old" eggs at least 1 month old.... anyone have any pics or links that show what a 1 month old candling looks like? Im still waiting for wife or someone else to give me a hand so i can take pics of my candlings.
                  My "Crested Care" page has pics of eggs that are 1 1/2 months along being candled. Remember... eggs develop at different rates :

www.crestedlady.com/crestedcare.htm
                  ~Sarah~
                  www.CrestedLady.com

Comment

Here is a pic of the approx 1 month old egg..... sorry its not very good.... wife was not being patient and camera not cooperating with dark shot. Egg shows more "red" when viewed with Eye.

This egg was laid in bottom of cage, which is near a window..... My house thermostat is set at 68.... so im guessing temp near this window approx 64-66 for the last 4-5weeks.

Any of you experienced breeders have any thaughts on this egg? I know ill be keeping this egg until it hatches/molds in half... im just wondering if i have 50/50 chance, etc....

Thanks
                    ~Eric Roberts~

Comment

bump..... anyone have thaughts on the candling of that egg?
                      ~Eric Roberts~

Comment

It's hard to tell from the photo, but at least it appears pinkish/red instead of yellow. (Usually means it's not fertile after a week or so goes by and it stays yellow.)

Usually people don't need to have an incubator but 64-66 degrees is a bit cool. (Not sure what temp they're at now... if you've moved them to a warmer spot or not.) Eggs incubated at lower temps take a heck of a lot longer to hatch. I had eggs that incubated around 68-70 degrees and the longest one took 127 days to hatch! (My record.)

Definitely don't toss it. Hold on to it until you're positive that it's bad. I've had eggs change colors in certain areas and look like they've gone bad.... but ended up hatching out normal babies.

Good luck!
                        ~Sarah~
                        www.CrestedLady.com

Comment

Thanks CL
                          All eggs are now in homemade incubator at 75-77 degrees.
                          My concern was that since the egg was at 64-66 for so long, was it still a viable egg or not.
                          ~Eric Roberts~

Comment

Nah, they should probably be fine. (You'd be amazed at what crested eggs can make it through! During the move, my dog wigged out and flipped my incubator. So far, EVERY egg has hatched but one... and that one's on the verge.)
                            ~Sarah~
                            www.CrestedLady.com

Comment

I decided to pitch the dented egg this morning.... was getting moldy and smelling rotten
                              ~Eric Roberts~

Comment

Working...
                              X