How much leaf litter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much leaf litter

Hi. I am setting up my first bio active. How much leaf litter should I use? Do you cover the entire bottom?

thanks!

You can use as much or as little leaf litter as you want. Your gecko will eventually poop on all of it.
    3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

I do have both Springtails and isopods in there to clean up. Will they stay below leaf litter if completely covers and not eat the poop? Am I better having less leaf litter on top of the substrate?

Comment

Springtails will stay mostly under the leaf litter but isopods will roam, especially at night. It takes a while for poop to be eaten but pee is white and the clean-up crew won't eat it. In the wild, the pee would be spread out over a wider area, rain would wash it off, animals treading on leaves would grind them into the ground, other leaves would fall on top, etc. But in a vivarium, you will have to remove the dirtiest leaves after a while.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. Are there other insects to add that will eat it? Or if when you spray the vivarium down if it washes off into the substrate will it cause issues over time? Thx

Comment

As long as you don't spray so much that the soil gets soggy, it should be fine. My vivs have been running since 2012 without issues.

Comment

Ok thanks. I have put down terra-cotta balls at the bottom and have around 2.5-3 inches of abg on top of that with a layer of spagnum moss covering all of the abg and then the leaf litter. Does that sound about right for what I should have?

Comment

It sounds fine. TBH, as long as you don't overwater, the terracotta balls aren't even necessary.

You may not want to use sphagnum moss in a gecko tank unless it is finely shredded; if a gecko accidentally gets it in its mouth, it may not be able to spit it out and it could cause impaction. This is especially a concern with females because they dig when they're getting ready to lay eggs. You can remove the moss and use it in plant pots, especially for orchids, carnivorous plants, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Treebiscuit View Post
                  It sounds fine. TBH, as long as you don't overwater, the terracotta balls aren't even necessary.

You may not want to use sphagnum moss in a gecko tank unless it is finely shredded; if a gecko accidentally gets it in its mouth, it may not be able to spit it out and it could cause impaction. This is especially a concern with females because they dig when they're getting ready to lay eggs. You can remove the moss and use it in plant pots, especially for orchids, carnivorous plants, etc.
                  Ok thank you. For the miss, if I remove it. Do I just put the leaves right on top of the ABG? Thanks

Comment

Actually, I don't know what ABG stands for. Help?

Comment

This is what it says about it on Josh’s
                      frogs website.

Josh’s Frogs ABG Mix is the perfect blend for growing tropical plants both in the home and in bioactive vivariums. Our mix is the original ABG Mix developed by the Atlanta Botanical Garden. Each bag is a precise mixture of charcoal, milled sphagnum moss, fir bark, tree fern, and peat. The mixture creates the perfect balance between retaining moisture and proper drainage; it can last for several years if used properly!

Comment

You can put the leaf litter directly on top of your substrate, or you can mix it in a little. In the wild, the leaves just fall on top of the dirt and will eventually decompose with the help of the clean-up crew.
                        Eileen
                        TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
                        Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

Ok thank you. I had read somewhere to add the moss. I will remove it. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                          X