Second hand tank (Help)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second hand tank (Help)

This afternoon, my parents dropped off an (empty) fish tank and a stand they were no longer using. The tank is quite large and is about 36 inches wide, 17.5 inches deep, and just over 29 inches tall, (around 65 gallons I think)? I plan on using it for another bioactive for my crested geckos, but I need to clean it and redo the lid first.

How would you recommend cleaning (and fully disinfecting) the tank? It has gunk, dirt, watermarks, etc all over it.

I've asked my sister, and she told me that perhaps I could start off by soaking it in hot water, and maybe a small amount of bleach for a few minutes. After the bleach and water have been dumped out, take a razor blade and scrape it all off. Once I have scraped it off, soak it in hot water (without bleach) and let it sit for a few minutes. Then dump it, and let it air dry.

Do you think that this would be a good idea to do this process? How would you go about cleaning a tank like this? I want to make sure that everything is properly sanitized before I start the bioactive project on this tank.

(I apologize for asking so many questions, I've only bought/received brand new tanks, never second-hand ones. I just want to make sure that it will be cleaned out well, and safe for my cresties).

Thank you in advance!!

Sure, a once-over with bleach would kill any nasties. Rinse *very, very* thoroughly, multiple times, and then you can clean it with vinegar to get rid of the hard water stains. Or you can do vinegar first and then rinse it multiple times, and then bleach. (Vinegar and bleach react together to produce poison gas, so definitely don't allow them to mix).
    3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

Vinegar and lemon for the calcium build ups, and then a tank disinfectant for the actual cleaning part.
      Also, i would turn it on it's side and make it front opening if possible. Proper air flow is always a worry in aquariums, especially such a tall one,
      --- Correlophus Ciliatus 2.4.0 - Python Regius 1.0 ---

Comment

Originally posted by Geckso View Post
        Vinegar and lemon for the calcium build ups, and then a tank disinfectant for the actual cleaning part.
        Also, i would turn it on it's side and make it front opening if possible. Proper air flow is always a worry in aquariums, especially such a tall one,
        Thank you geckso! I plan on starting to fix it up next weekend! And I’ve definitely thought of trying to turn it on its side, and may end up doing so! Thanks again, I really appreciate your help!

Comment

Originally posted by Treebiscuit View Post
          Sure, a once-over with bleach would kill any nasties. Rinse *very, very* thoroughly, multiple times, and then you can clean it with vinegar to get rid of the hard water stains. Or you can do vinegar first and then rinse it multiple times, and then bleach. (Vinegar and bleach react together to produce poison gas, so definitely don't allow them to mix).
          Thank you so much Treebiscuit! I’ll definitely give some more thought to cleaning it to find the best method. I really appreciate it! (Also, thank you for letting me know about the vinegar and bleach reaction. Definitely super helpful)!

Comment

Originally posted by Cresteds_3 View Post

Thank you geckso! I plan on starting to fix it up next weekend! And I’ve definitely thought of trying to turn it on its side, and may end up doing so! Thanks again, I really appreciate your help!
            No problem, i hope you can make it work, it seems like an awesome tank!

Comment

And remember that geckos like height, so if you can make it a "skyscraper", they'll love it! There are conversion kits available (google for that). If you use bleach, make it very mild. Vinegar and lemon juice work well too, and there is a veterinary disinfectant called F10 that, diluted as per instructions, works very well for safely cleaning tanks.
              Eileen
              TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
              Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

Originally posted by TAD View Post
                And remember that geckos like height, so if you can make it a "skyscraper", they'll love it! There are conversion kits available (google for that). If you use bleach, make it very mild. Vinegar and lemon juice work well too, and there is a veterinary disinfectant called F10 that, diluted as per instructions, works very well for safely cleaning tanks.
                Thank you TAD! I'm going to be turning over, to provide more height. I've looked at the different "kits" but I'm planning on redoing the lid/opening with my sister instead!! I've been looking into the recommended types of cleaner for a "project" like this one, and I think I'll probably go with using some vinegar and lemon juice to start with! As well as scraping off the gunk, dirt, etc with a razor blade, and some reptile safe cleaner/disinfectant afterwards. I actually have used F10 for cleaning my tubs/tanks, and I use it several times every week to two weeks. So I'll probably go with using that!

Comment

I started soaking and scraping off all the buildup! It’s going pretty well, but I have to order some supplies for the actual cleaning of it, and for the bio active. What kind of lighting would be suitable for a 65 gallon tank like this one. I’ve asked around, and most people have said that they use two 13 watt UVB bulbs. But those were in tanks that were smaller. So what kind of lighting would work for the plants in a setup like this one?

Comment

I would try a tube light for UVB ReptiSun and Arcadia both make good quality T5 lights. LED's will work fine for your plants. I use a full-spectrum LED with blue and white lights.
                    Eileen
                    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
                    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

Originally posted by Cresteds_3 View Post
                      I started soaking and scraping off all the buildup! It’s going pretty well, but I have to order some supplies for the actual cleaning of it, and for the bio active. What kind of lighting would be suitable for a 65 gallon tank like this one. I’ve asked around, and most people have said that they use two 13 watt UVB bulbs. But those were in tanks that were smaller. So what kind of lighting would work for the plants in a setup like this one?
                      Uvb is great, but plants don't need it, the UVB would be for the geckos, so i would add that based on their needs (: The plants just need LEDs, maybe some Growlight LEDs if possible
                      Last edited by Geckso; 10-24-2020, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Thank you both for the replies! That definitely helps loads! I will definitely look into those options!!

Comment

I've asked my sister, and she told me that perhaps I could start off by soaking it in hot water, and maybe a small amount of bleach for a few minutes. After the bleach and water have been dumped out, take a razor blade and scrape it all off. Once I have scraped it off, soak it in hot water (without bleach) and let it sit for a few minutes. Then dump it, and let it air dry. Nox Vidmate VLC

Comment

Working...
                          X