Crested Gecko Weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crested Gecko Weight?

Hello! I have a crested gecko who'll be 3 years old this August. They're about 5 inches long, not including tail (~8.5" with) and my scale reads about 52.3g. They're unsexed, although I'm starting to suspect they're female. Is that overweight? They don't seem too chubby, maybe just a little but don't have fat rolls and seem pretty proportional. If that is too hefty, any suggestions to bring it down? I feed them fig & insect Pangea every other day, sometimes refilling it if they clean the bowl. They're housed in a 20 gallon 24x12x16 tank with lots of fake plants (kinda hard to reach around in there, except in a couple clear areas for jumping). Thanks in advance!
    0.0.1 Crested Gecko Gawain

At 52g if there's no bulge they're definitely female lol. Anyway, it's not possible to tell whether a gecko is overweight just by looking at its weight, you have to look at its body condition. I've seen geckos that were naturally small that were overweight at 45g, but i've also seen bigger geckos that were just fine at 70g. So based on your description, no i don't think your gecko is overweight. The only thing i wanna note, is that your tank does seem to be a little on the smaller side, especially height wise. You want something that is around 18x18x24 or larger, especially when your gecko is as large as it is.
    --- Correlophus Ciliatus 2.4.0 - Python Regius 1.0 ---

Comment

It sounds good and healthy. Weight is not so important as condition. Just like people, some are big and some are small. You mentioned "they". I am assuming you only have one housed in your tank, and just saying "they" because you don't know if it's male/female yet, correct?
      Eileen
      TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
      Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

Just checking -- do you have a lay box in there? If your gecko is female, she will need one.
        3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

Originally posted by Geckso View Post
          At 52g if there's no bulge they're definitely female lol. Anyway, it's not possible to tell whether a gecko is overweight just by looking at its weight, you have to look at its body condition. I've seen geckos that were naturally small that were overweight at 45g, but i've also seen bigger geckos that were just fine at 70g. So based on your description, no i don't think your gecko is overweight. The only thing i wanna note, is that your tank does seem to be a little on the smaller side, especially height wise. You want something that is around 18x18x24 or larger, especially when your gecko is as large as it is.
          Good to know! Sorry if my dimensions were misleading, the 24 is height. I have been considering something larger though, I'll look into it for sure. Fingers crossed I stumble upon a sale!

Originally posted by TAD
          I am assuming you only have one housed in your tank, and just saying "they" because you don't know if it's male/female yet, correct?
          Yeah, singular they can be confusing haha. But yes, only one gecko here.

Originally posted by Treebiscuit
          Just checking -- do you have a lay box in there? If your gecko is female, she will need one.
          Another thing I need to look into. Any recs on one that's fairly affordable? I'm job hunting right now, but of course gecko needs come first.

Thanks y'all!

Comment

Originally posted by Rekos View Post

Good to know! Sorry if my dimensions were misleading, the 24 is height. I have been considering something larger though, I'll look into it for sure. Fingers crossed I stumble upon a sale!

Yeah, singular they can be confusing haha. But yes, only one gecko here.

Another thing I need to look into. Any recs on one that's fairly affordable? I'm job hunting right now, but of course gecko needs come first.

Thanks y'all!
            Lay boxes are usually just a plastic box with a whole cut in the lid, and some kind of moist substrate for example sphagnum moss in it (:

Comment

Originally posted by Geckso View Post

Lay boxes are usually just a plastic box with a whole cut in the lid, and some kind of moist substrate for example sphagnum moss in it (:
              Oh gotcha! That sounds easy enough. Is there anything involved that encourages the gecko to use that rather than its substrate somewhere else in the enclosure? I have eco earth as substrate and don’t see how they would know to use a lay box versus the floor.

Comment

Oh gotcha! That sounds easy enough. Is there anything involved that encourages the gecko to use that rather than its substrate somewhere else in the enclosure? I have eco earth as substrate and don’t see how they would know to use a lay box versus the floor.
                All of my females (breeding or not) have always used layboxs over the eco earth! So just take a Tupperware bin and cut a hole in the top, fill it up with sphagnum moss! She should use it, just fine. Good luck!

Comment

Not really that i know of, some will use the box some won't, though it seems that they really like to lay in sphagnum moss (: Also i just realised i wrote "whole" in stead of "hole" lmao sorry about that, but you get what i meant

Comment

Working...
                  X