How do you prefer to incubate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you prefer to incubate?

So my male has been growing rapidly recently, and is likely gonna be RTB within the next few months. For this reason, i'm slowly starting to get ready to breed him, and looking into what things to buy for incubation in particular. My initial idea was to buy some small plastic boxes with air holes, put some vermiculite in them, and then put 1 clutch pr box, but on the website i usually use for all my reptile stuff, they also have a simple incubation box that fits 12 eggs, has a thermometer in the middle, and space for vermiculite in a compartment underneath. Are incubation boxes worth it? How do you guys do it, and what methods seems to work the best?
    --- Correlophus Ciliatus 2.4.0 - Python Regius 1.0 ---

I’ve tried the incubation boxes, but I have found that deli cups for each clutch work very well! The incubation boxes can be great as well! I have found that the thermometer isn’t always accurate, so you are better purchasing a digital one and finding some way to modify the box, this way it’s more accurate!!

Hopefully this helps you out! Let me know if you have any more questions! I have only been breeding for about 3 years now, but hopefully I can help you out!

Comment

Originally posted by Cresteds_3 View Post
      I’ve tried the incubation boxes, but I have found that deli cups for each clutch work very well! The incubation boxes can be great as well! I have found that the thermometer isn’t always accurate, so you are better purchasing a digital one and finding some way to modify the box, this way it’s more accurate!!

Hopefully this helps you out! Let me know if you have any more questions! I have only been breeding for about 3 years now, but hopefully I can help you out!
      Thank you! Deli cups were my original thought, but i figured it would be difficult to monitor humidity and temp if i had all of my clutches in different cups. I was thinking of maybe buying one of those jewelry compartment boxes, and then modifying it to fit a simple hygro/thermometer it it, do you think that would work? Btw as a side note, how often do you have to check the humidity in yours? Like i mentioned i was planning on using vermiculite, but i can't find anything on how often you have to check/add more water, some say never, some say once a week.

Comment

You are most welcome!!
        Jewlery compartments are wonderful for incubation! Pangea sells one that works great! I use The incubation medium by Pangea, I have used it for a very long time, and the hatch rates are great! I don’t have to add water to the Pangea hatch once it’s already been added. For mine, they are in my reptile room, so I can quickly check the humidity and temperatures once every day or two without disturbing them.
        I think that your idea to modify the jewlery box is a fantastic idea, Currently, I have a jewelry box, for some eggs, but sometimes there isn’t enough room, so then I go to deli cups for the rest!

Feel free to ask me any more questions, hopefully I will be able to help you out!

Comment

You are most welcome!!
          Jewlery compartments are wonderful for incubation! Pangea sells one that works great! I use The incubation medium by Pangea, I have used it for a very long time, and the hatch rates are great! I don’t have to add water to the Pangea hatch once it’s already been added. For mine, they are in my reptile room, so I can quickly check the humidity and temperatures once every day or two without disturbing them.
          I think that your idea to modify the jewlery box is a fantastic idea, Currently, I have a jewelry box, for some eggs, but sometimes there isn’t enough room, so then I go to deli cups for the rest!

Feel free to ask me any more questions, hopefully I will be able to help you out!
          Thank you so much! I'm gonna try with a jewelry box then, they're gonna be in same room i keep my reptiles so i'm not too worried about temp, more so about humidity, since i've heard it has to be kept around 90%. Is the Pangea substrate worth it compared to normal vermiculite? It's more than 3x as expensive, so i'm only gonna buy it if it really makes a difference haha. Other than that i'm good for now, my male is still in his 20s weight wise so it'll still be a little while, but i'd rather have everything set up before hand, and he's been growing like crazy over the past 2 months.

Comment

You are very welcome, I am glad I could help!
            I have had much better results with the Pangea hatch than vermiculate. You could also go with repashy super hatch, or I have heard that hatchrite also works very well. I have not tried super hatch or hatchrite before though. What breeding pairs do you have? I love seeing different breeding pairs that others have! I am hoping to get some Lilly whites or high whites all grown up for 2021' or 2022's breeding season!
            Once again, feel free to ask anything you need, hopefully, I can give you some answers!

Comment

You are very welcome, I am glad I could help!
              I have had much better results with the Pangea hatch than vermiculate. You could also go with repashy super hatch, or I have heard that hatchrite also works very well. I have not tried super hatch or hatchrite before though. What breeding pairs do you have? I love seeing different breeding pairs that others have! I am hoping to get some Lilly whites or high whites all grown up for 2021' or 2022's breeding season!
              Once again, feel free to ask anything you need, hopefully, I can give you some answers!
              Right now i only have two males, one of which isn't a breeder, and 4 females, only one of which is big enough to be bred, but i'm thinking since it's gonna be my first it's probably a good idea to just stick with one pairing. The female is a yellow harlequin that fires down light pink, with a full phantom pinstripe, and reverse pinstriping as well, and the male is a tricolour red LW.

https://imgur.com/M6HHeZD Male

https://imgur.com/Id6iKdR Female

High whites are amazing, i'm currently looking for another male breeder to add to my collection, and i would love a white wall! If only i could find one!

Comment

Yes, stick with one pairing first, then you can move your way up! Wow! They are both gorgeous! Where did you get your LW? Yeah I definitely agree! White walls are fantastic, if I could find a white wall female, it would be amazing! If only I could find one....Hopefully soon!

Any other questions you have are always welcome, just let me know if you need anything else!

Comment

Yes, stick with one pairing first, then you can move your way up! Wow! They are both gorgeous! Where did you get your LW? Yeah I definitely agree! White walls are fantastic, if I could find a white wall female, it would be amazing! If only I could find one....Hopefully soon!

Any other questions you have are always welcome, just let me know if you need anything else!
                  Got him from North Reptiles, they're based in Denmark (where i'm located lol) but they do export a couple of times a year... Their geckos are definitely worth a look, they're gorgeous!

Comment

Also, do I need a LED light for my New bio active tank? Or would everything grow fine without it?

Comment

Also, do I need a LED light for my New bio active tank? Or would everything grow fine without it?
                      LEDs should work, the plants likely won't grow without it, the only reason i can get away with not having lights (atm) is that i've added all the plants when they were already pretty big

Comment

Originally posted by Geckso View Post

LEDs should work, the plants likely won't grow without it, the only reason i can get away with not having lights (atm) is that i've added all the plants when they were already pretty big
                        Hmm...Okay, I wonder what kind of LEDs I should get? Does anyone know of any brands they have used? Or should I just order a LED strip for all my tanks off of amazon? :/

Comment

I use vermiculite and it think it’s super easy to work with and doesn’t dry out fast. I’ve used gladware containers, jewelry boxes. The jewelry boxes I think dry out faster/have more air circulation. When I used plastic gladware containers the vermiculite wouldn’t need water for almost the whole breeding season. I would just open the container once or twice a week. I’ve never used a hydrometer because crestie eggs are pretty hardy. Just don’t keep the medium soppy wet and you will be fine.

Comment

Also the fact that vermiculite is super super cheap and at every garden or hardware store.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtmcgurt View Post
                              I use vermiculite and it think it’s super easy to work with and doesn’t dry out fast. I’ve used gladware containers, jewelry boxes. The jewelry boxes I think dry out faster/have more air circulation. When I used plastic gladware containers the vermiculite wouldn’t need water for almost the whole breeding season. I would just open the container once or twice a week. I’ve never used a hydrometer because crestie eggs are pretty hardy. Just don’t keep the medium soppy wet and you will be fine.
                              Thanks for your answer! I think im gonna go with vermiculite since the pangea stuff is super expensive where i live. I don't think we've got gladware containers here, but i've been looking to get some incubators since the temperature here is very inconsistent, especially during the summer it gets way too warm, so i'm looking for something other than jewellery boxes since i don't think they'll fit. Maybe i'll just go with those cheap plastic containers you use at expos or for feeder insects instead. It's good to know that they're hardy, that's one of my main concerns!

Comment

Working...
                              X