Crested Gecko Egg Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crested Gecko Egg Questions

How will I know when my eggs are close to hatching?

Here should be all you need to know:
    -They are 70 days old (on April, Monday 13th, 2020).
    -They have been swelling quite a bit in the last few weeks and are quite round now.
    -The temps are 75 degrees F, with the lowest being 73.7.
    -I have done some research, and have seen what I think are stretch marks.
    -The incubation medium I am using is the one by Pangea.
    -I candled them about a week ago, and saw some movement and could see what I think is the tail and possibly the head.
    -I also candled the eggs last night and the baby has taken up almost the entire egg!

How do I know when they will hatch? Do the eggs display any signs a week or even a few days/hours before hatching?

Also, does anyone know what the dark spot on the bottom means? Only one egg has it and the other does not...

Please help ASAP as I would like to know these signs before they hatch, and they could hatch soon! Thank you to anyone who can help me!

The eggs are now 77 days old, does anyone have a clue on when they may hatch based on the temps I have them at (about 75 degrees F during the day and the lowest being around 73 degrees F). I have also noticed I can now see a little head, tail, and a body being mostly just a dark area. I can see a little yellow/extra space, but not a whole lot, it's very dark almost all through the egg.

Does anyone have any clue on when they will hatch? is there any way to know when they may hatch, signs to when they might?

Any help is appreciated, and I hope to find answers soon!
    Thanks!

Comment

I would check a couple times a day. Sounds like they will hatch any moment. I’ve had eggs hatch anywhere from 60-80 days, give or take. I have one that’s at about 60ish days Ans I’m thinking it will hatch soon

Comment

Turtmcgurt I have been checking them in the morning 6:00 am, the late afternoon usually around 3:00 pm and late at night around 11:00 pm. Any tips you have from hatching eggs?
        Thank you very much for your help!

Comment

Turtmcgurt Also, I have another question I forgot to ask... do you find they hatch later at night, the afternoon, or is it really just random? And also, what temps do you keep your eggs at?
          Thank you so much! Sorry to bother you with all these questions! Good luck with your eggs!

Comment

The clutch of 2 eggs I have are 81 days old today. I can see their eyes, head, body, and tail pretty clearly now, and I can see almost exactly how they curl themselves up! I can't see the pattern or anything (but that's to be expected right)? I have a few more questions...

1) Are there any signs or clues to when they may hatch, like clues indicating whether they will hatch within hours or a few days?
            2)I have heard that eggs also "sweat" hours before hatching, is this true? Has anyone had this happen to their crestie clutches?
            3) How often should I be checking on these eggs?
            4) I have heard a mix of breeders, some saying "as soon as you see the gecko bring it to their enclosure" others saying "leave the hatchling in there for a few hours to let them shed, then allow them to go into their enclosure" which one of these methods do you use?

Thank you to everyone who can help me in advance!!

Comment

I have never bred cresties but I’m assuming closer to 80 days you maybe could just check every 2 hours? Wouldn’t hurt! Sorry I couldn’t help!

Comment

Originally posted by slammiejammie View Post
                I have never bred cresties but I’m assuming closer to 80 days you maybe could just check every 2 hours? Wouldn’t hurt! Sorry I couldn’t help!
                slammiejammie, thank you for trying!

I have been checking on them and they are 83 days old now! I am hoping that they will hatch this week! But I guess they will hatch when they are ready!

​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Cresteds_3 View Post
                  The clutch of 2 eggs I have are 81 days old today. I can see their eyes, head, body, and tail pretty clearly now, and I can see almost exactly how they curl themselves up! I can't see the pattern or anything (but that's to be expected right)? I have a few more questions...

1) Are there any signs or clues to when they may hatch, like clues indicating whether they will hatch within hours or a few days?
                  2)I have heard that eggs also "sweat" hours before hatching, is this true? Has anyone had this happen to their crestie clutches?
                  3) How often should I be checking on these eggs?
                  4) I have heard a mix of breeders, some saying "as soon as you see the gecko bring it to their enclosure" others saying "leave the hatchling in there for a few hours to let them shed, then allow them to go into their enclosure" which one of these methods do you use?

Thank you to everyone who can help me in advance!!
                  Your eggs should hatch soon. I wouldn't worry too much that they are going to a good length of incubation, as that tends to make for chunkier babies anyways (a good thing). My winter clutches tend to go to 90+ days at 72-73 degrees, and they are about 2.5 grams upon hatching. It is very exciting to have some eggs close to the finish line, but I wouldn't worry too much about them. They will hatch when they are ready. And if only one hatches, also don't worry if the other doesn't...they can arrive days apart. I don't think it really matters if you find them right away or a several hours later. They have moisture and will eat that first shed to get started, usually. Good luck with your babies and enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by Baums49 View Post

Your eggs should hatch soon. I wouldn't worry too much that they are going to a good length of incubation, as that tends to make for chunkier babies anyways (a good thing). My winter clutches tend to go to 90+ days at 72-73 degrees, and they are about 2.5 grams upon hatching. It is very exciting to have some eggs close to the finish line, but I wouldn't worry too much about them. They will hatch when they are ready. And if only one hatches, also don't worry if the other doesn't...they can arrive days apart. I don't think it really matters if you find them right away or a several hours later. They have moisture and will eat that first shed to get started, usually. Good luck with your babies and enjoy
                    Thank you very much! I am happy that I will end up getting chunkier healthy babies as well, rather than a 60-70 day incubation where you may have weaker and not as big babies. I can’t wait for them to hatch, I wonder what I will name them?

Does anyone have name ideas for the little ones?

To give you an idea of what they could possibly look like , their parents are a full pinstripe (dad) who fires up black. And the mom is a Dalmatian, who is typically a light yellow fired down, and tends to fire up a dark brown with a few small red spots!

Comment

Hello everyone!

I have some good news! I found our little hatchling this evening, quite nice looking too! This one was in incubation for 86 days! We are still waiting on the sibling to hatch out, hopefully he will do that within tonight or near the weekend?!

Still hasn’t been given their own name, but I was thinking of maybe calling him (or her) Twix!

The little one has an awesome pattern, and at least 2-3 Dalmatian spots right out of the egg, I am thinking that with the next she’s they could develop more spots as well!

Now, can anyone help with name suggestions, does anyone have strategies to naming geckos?

Comment

Stunning baby! Congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by IndigoWinter View Post
                          Stunning baby! Congratulations!
                          Thank you so much!! I am super happy with the little one! Does anyone have any name ideas for him/her?!

Comment

Sorry for a late reply but congrats! I feel like the eggs always hatch at night time. I always find them at night or morning time. I never date my eggs I just correlate the lay time with when the eggs hatch. Like if two clutches are laid then I know pretty soon that I will have a clutch hatching. So then I start to pay attention. I do a lot of stuff in my head for cresties. Congrats anyways and good luck growing those guys up!

Comment

Working...
                            X