Rescued gecko

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rescued gecko

I recently rescued a crested gecko who is thought to be around for years old from a neglectful owner. She came to me with ribs fully showing, very dehydrated and un handleable. I have gotten her weight up, she is rehydrated, but I still cannot pick her up, or touch her without her running away or biting. Does anyone have any tips?

Be patient. How long have you had her for? This gecko may never become tame, or she may eventually realize that you're not a threat and she might calm down, but it will probably take months at least. Start with putting your hand in her cage where she can see it, and don't move it for about a minute each day. If she doesn't bite you, put your hand in her cage where she can sniff it, and leave it there for about a minute. Do this for a week. Slowly increase how long you leave your hand in front of her face. Eventually see if she will let you touch her crests or slide your hand under her. (Don't put your hand behind her. Let her always see what's going on). All this will convince her that you are not a threat.
    3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

I’ve had her for about four months now I try almost every day keeping my hand by her and letting her know I’m there but I haven’t noticed any change

Comment

You are being patient but you will have to continue being patient. Your gecko has probably never experienced fun outings before and is expecting only trouble from her interactions with you. It will take her a long time to unlearn years of neglect.
        3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

I bought a young adult crested gecko about 3 years ago that had probably been kept in a rack and I keep him in a bioactive viv. He has never been happy about being held and I don't see it changing. You may be able to socialize him, but there's no guarantee. It's worth a try following the advice above.

Aliza

Comment

I’ve kept trying and she keeps biting or running

Comment

Working...
            X