Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crested Gecko Eating Problems

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Crested Gecko Eating Problems

    Hi all,

    I know there's many different threads about this already, but there's something extra which I'd like to add to them.

    I got my second crested gecko 3 weeks ago, and he seemed really healthy and happy. It does seem like he's never had any CGD and only seemed to have had live food. I've got 4 different flavours which I change every 2 days (2 from Pangea and 2 Repashy) and he doesn't seem interested in any of them, but if I offer him any live food he takes it straight away.

    I know the way to go around it is to stop offering livefood and just offer CGD, which is what I'm going to do, but he still doesn't seem too interested. I put bits on his chin/nose and he licks it off, but other than that he doesn't eat it from the bowl. I did offer him a wax worm as a treat and he took it straight away, and now I'm just going to stop offering him live altogether. The last bit of livefood I offered before this one was a week ago.

    Another issue is, is that sometimes when I handle him, he curls up and sits in an S position, and it just seems like a really weird movement for a crestie, and I've not managed to find any threads about this issue before. Its similar to the movement people describe when the gecko eats something too large, but he does this without eating anything. He can walk/move properly, and is a happy little jumper. There's slight signs of MBD (two very slight tail kinks, not noticeable unless you look for them) Also, you can see the very top of his spine and it seems normal, I'm assuming he's just a little skinny after the move.

    I must add, that he is pooping, just not too often, and other than that, he seems bright and lively. He is around 23 grams, so I'd notice a little bit of food missing from the dish if he was consuming some.

    Is there anything else I should try, and what could the S curl beduring handling (And only during handling). If you need any more info just ask, I probably have forgotten to add something.

  • #2
    My gecko was very picky for a long time and only liked Mulberry Madness or Pineapple express repashy for flavored ones (And not that much really).....but his absolute FAVE and the thing he still prefers to eat is Pangea growth and breeding. Try feeding just that for a few days then slowly mix in some of the flavored stuff you want them to eat, increasing very small bits of flavored mixed in each day. Granted, if you think there's early signs of mbd then pangea g&b would probably be his best bet anyways.

    I THINK I remember reading somewhere that the "S" shape while handling was defensive and meant they were scared? 3 weeks is still fairly new and I remember being told that a few weeks is nothing to worry about and just just give them time to get less spookly and more settled.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Goatfairy View Post
      My gecko was very picky for a long time and only liked Mulberry Madness or Pineapple express repashy for flavored ones (And not that much really).....but his absolute FAVE and the thing he still prefers to eat is Pangea growth and breeding. Try feeding just that for a few days then slowly mix in some of the flavored stuff you want them to eat, increasing very small bits of flavored mixed in each day. Granted, if you think there's early signs of mbd then pangea g&b would probably be his best bet anyways.

      I THINK I remember reading somewhere that the "S" shape while handling was defensive and meant they were scared? 3 weeks is still fairly new and I remember being told that a few weeks is nothing to worry about and just just give them time to get less spookly and more settled.

      He's probably between 6-8 months old, and I contacted the breeder I got him from, turns out they don't know too much about cresties, and he had a 100% live food diet; so I basically have to change his dietary standards altogether. I found that he liked the Pangea Papaya, but would still only eat it when I put it on his mouth, I think I'm going to cut all live food for now, and reintroduce it later. I'm probably going to get him used to eating the diet on myself, then start doing it in his enclosure, and eventually by himself. Once he's at that point I will feed live again.

      The breeder did say that he was quite lively when handled, and he's actually quite tame, and normally when he does the S shape in my hand its similar to the sleeping position, where their eyes sink in a little and they just flatten out and relax, so its possibly him just falling asleep to the warmth of my hand.

      I don'[t want to stock too much powdered diet as it does go off relatively quickly, but I'm almost out of one of my Repashy diets, so I may just try the Growth and Breeding one once I run out of that. Thank you for the suggestion

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DominicJ View Post


        He's probably between 6-8 months old, and I contacted the breeder I got him from, turns out they don't know too much about cresties, and he had a 100% live food diet; so I basically have to change his dietary standards altogether. I found that he liked the Pangea Papaya, but would still only eat it when I put it on his mouth, I think I'm going to cut all live food for now, and reintroduce it later. I'm probably going to get him used to eating the diet on myself, then start doing it in his enclosure, and eventually by himself. Once he's at that point I will feed live again.

        The breeder did say that he was quite lively when handled, and he's actually quite tame, and normally when he does the S shape in my hand its similar to the sleeping position, where their eyes sink in a little and they just flatten out and relax, so its possibly him just falling asleep to the warmth of my hand.

        I don'[t want to stock too much powdered diet as it does go off relatively quickly, but I'm almost out of one of my Repashy diets, so I may just try the Growth and Breeding one once I run out of that. Thank you for the suggestion
        Out of curiosity, how's it going? Has he started to eat Pangea by himself or at all yet? Mine hasn't touch Pangea for almost a year soon. Still refuses to as much as look at it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by TyRe04 View Post

          Out of curiosity, how's it going? Has he started to eat Pangea by himself or at all yet? Mine hasn't touch Pangea for almost a year soon. Still refuses to as much as look at it.

          I don't think he's eating much, but I think he may start soon. I got him out yesterday and held the cap under his nose and he started eating it himself; so that is a good sign. I don't think he appreciates not getting live food, but I have to stop that until he gets the diet into his routine.

          Comment


          • #6
            I have the same issue, only mine often refuses live food (crickets) as well. My crestie is 7-1/2 months old and only weighs 7.3g. It weighed around 6g when I got it 2 months ago. I have only gotten it to eat CGD rarely, by putting a spoon right up against its mouth. I stopped feeding crickets for about 10 days, but it didn't appear to eat the CGD and lost about 0.8g. I then tried baby food but no luck, so I started crickets again. I have a bioactive enclosure so its hard to tell how much it poops, but it did poop in its food bottlecap, twice (right on top of the food)! It moves around in its enclosure and when I handle it, it jumps and scoots and is moderately energetic, but as soon as I set it down it plants itself, and will barely move more than a foot in an hour.

            I'm very interested to see if you find a successful resolution, I'm very frustrated on my end and would love to find a solution!

            Comment

            Working...
            X