Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is more popular?

Choose between these 2 males:

I saw your other thread. To me, both these males look more interesting the more I look at them.

The first one I didn't notice the harley patterning until someone else mentioned it. It would be interestig to see a fired-up photo - is there more contrast when he's fired up? Either way, he looks interesting, I haven't seen many harleys that color.

The second one I thought was only interesting due to the darker band of color under the crests/pins... then as I looked at it more, I'm starting to wonder if it's such an extreme harley pattern (or whitewall) that it almost completely covers the base color, leaving just that small band of dark color under the crests/pinstripes as the only base color left.

I don't know which one I'd choose.
    *** My "N" key is actig up. Luckily, there's no "N" in "crested gecko" or "Rhacodactylus ciliatus".***

2.3.9.12 cresties
    0.2 cats
    0.1 German Shepherd Dogs
    1.1.2 humans (that's 1 adult male, 1 adult female (me), and two male juvies)

Comment

You haven't seen harleys with lavender base, is what you are saying? Like the other post, this is just anexample on the tiger/brindle I am trading for...the one I am going to get actually is even better (but is tail-less). Its better to me because the color is even more vibrant than this one's, it's base is brindle and the stripe down the back andhead is tiger (with some phantom pinning kind of...) so it gives almost a pinning effect, it weighs alot so therefore is a nice display and is healthy, and also has dalmation spots. READ PLEASE- If I have a pattern in the one I have now that is super RARE and I don't realize it, please let me know! I just have seen similar ones...so I figure its kinda common. have you seen my female Lavender??? I love her!

Comment

Originally posted by hdavidf309 View Post
        You haven't seen harleys with lavender base, is what you are saying?
        No, I'm saying I don't recall seeing harleys that light before. The photo looks like a yellow on yellow, at least on my screen. In fact I didn't even notice the harley pattern until someone mentioned it. It looked like a solid yellow at first glance. That's why seeing photos both fired ad unfired helps. If that's really a lavendar in person, yes I've seen that.
        *** My "N" key is actig up. Luckily, there's no "N" in "crested gecko" or "Rhacodactylus ciliatus".***

2.3.9.12 cresties
        0.2 cats
        0.1 German Shepherd Dogs

Comment

OH! Yeah...I get what you are saying! Him fired up is about the same except where its lavender, it gets darker (almost a dark grey) but the yellow stays the same at all times. He has the harley pattern and has alot of yellow in feet/legs, base/underbelly, and face too....guess hes more yellow on yellow than lavender, but the base would still be concidered lavender technically. Please respond so I can see what you think after this explaination.... Thanks!

Comment

the lighting looks way off in the first picture, and it definitely doesn't look like the "lavendars" that i've seen.

for photo help, jaybee has posted some excellent threads. i'll try to find the other one.
            http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...ad.php?t=48823

the second male is very attractive, but i definitely wouldn't call it an extreme harley unless you consider all tigers or brindles extreme harleys. the marking under the crests seems to be fairly common in tigers/brindles.

for instance, here's my male tiger, fired down. i bought him at a petco near my house for $50 full grown, and i've seen quite a few babies like him there from time to time. i've also seen breeders selling tigers like this frequently for under $50 as babies.

the question "what is more popular" isn't really a valid question with cresties. from what i've seen on this forum, equal amounts of people would like one of those over the other. its also difficult to compare because the first picture is low quality and you can't really see what the gecko's colors actually look like. also, the first gecko is much younger than the second, and still has time to develop a better pattern/ color.

if i would call any morphs/ colors "popular" right now by this forum's standards, it seems that a lot of people are interested in extreme harleys, super dalmations, 100% pinstripes in various colors, and cream colors on geckos. none of the geckos you've shown have that. if you're interested in breeding "what's popular" be prepared to start paying $150-$300 per gecko to build up a breeding project. you might get lucky and score a really nice hatchling for under $100, but that will need time to grow. and then, chances are that "popularity" is going to fluctuate by the time you start producing hatchlings yourself.

that is why you should look for a morph/color/trait that you like. once you decide on what you like, start looking into buying geckos that will fit into that description, and will hopefully make the color/morph/trait even better. imo, you're probably not going to produce anything "popular" from the cresteds you posted pictures from. if one of those geckos displays a color or pattern that you really like, then keep it and make a breeding program around it.

you do not have anything "super rare". if you did, someone would have said something by now. that's just not how cresties work.

edit: i think its important to mention that most of the best, smaller scale breeders (and even some larger scale ones) that are producing the best looking, healthiest and well-taken care of geckos are focused on a breeding project(s) that fits what they like most, not what they think their consumers are going to buy.
            Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
            :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook

Comment

Fair enough, I suppose....It actually bothers me that these pics are so bad, so I took 2 pics of my female brindle's back markings and also pics of my male that is in question. Hope this helps in showing you more of what patterns they are. A s for the rest of your post- I agree that I don't have the newest and rarest, but most don't have the rarest and the market fluxuates lots (like you said), and also I am happy with what I have no matter what people have to say about it and HAVE paid $200 for my fem lavender and yellow brindle...that being said, yes I think I am going to be more focused on certain cresteds for certain breeding groups. Oppinion on this post?

Comment

i know its difficult to get accurate pictures, i struggle with it as well. those pictures are much better, and the male in question does appear to be the "lavender" color base. i have a similar female and male that dont get quite that light, but do fire up with nice contrast.

A s for the rest of your post- I agree that I don't have the newest and rarest, but most don't have the rarest and the market fluxuates lots (like you said), and also I am happy with what I have no matter what people have to say about it and HAVE paid $200 for my fem lavender and yellow brindle...that being said, yes I think I am going to be more focused on certain cresteds for certain breeding groups. Oppinion on this post?
                its ok to not have the newest, or trendiest geckos, especially if they're pet only. but if you're breeding them, you will have to find homes for the majority of the babies, and if you're breeding multiple females, that's hard work. its even harder if you're trying to sell hatchlings from random pairings.

personally, i wouldn't breed that "brindle' female. even if she fires up with great contrast (because from those pictures her markings are so light that i wouldn't call her a brindle) she doesn't have very good structure. and structure is becoming more and more important to people buying geckos these days. with tigers and bridles being really common, you'll basically have to be giving away any hatchlings from her, unless you can pair her with a high contrast, crowned male brindle. even then, yellow brindles are easy to come by, and not worth much. even though i personally LOVE yellow brindles, i wouldn't pay more than $20-30 for most hatchling brindles i see, maybe $50-60 if i find one with really awesome pattern and excellent structure, from a reputable breeder.
                Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
                :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook

Comment

Fair enough (again)....I really just should keep my Lavender male instead of making the trade, i think......do you agree? Look at my other posts, as i have uploaded new pics of my other cresteds too and of my others in my collection!

Comment

Just wanted to clarify the fact that there is no brindle in these pics. The lavender is a Flame and the the other would be a Tiger.
                    STEVEN

Comment

Crestedkeeper, so...you feel the pattern is more TIGER and not BRINDLE? I want your oppinion....keep the "flame"?

Comment

Originally posted by crestedkeeper View Post
                        Just wanted to clarify the fact that there is no brindle in these pics.
                        THIS ^

I concur.
                        And I'm not gonna give any input which is more popular or valuable, but personally, I'D take #2, the Tiger.

-Wes
                        4.3.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus - Yatè, Mt. Koghis, Rivière Bleue, purple Nuu Ana, Poindimiè
                        3.2.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
                        1.1.0 Gekko gecko
                        2.1.0 Python regius

Comment

Yes, I am keeping the tiger but I am gonna trade my buckskin male for the yellow tiger male/dalspots now, I think! Thank you all!

Comment

I like how creamy the dorsal and crests are on your lav/yellow harley. I also like lavs, and I can see his harley pattern better in the new photos posted. So I'd keep him, but that's just my personal preference. Other people may like tigers more than harleys, or may like the color on the tiger more than yellow and lavender.

It sounds like you're going to trade a different male for the tiger, so you'll have both! It's always nice to be able to do that with tough decisions!

2.3.9.12 cresties
                            0.2 cats
                            0.1 German Shepherd Dogs

Comment

Jayne...and I suppose EVERYONE- Thank you for your help. I actually am doing one better and just buying the male tiger (with a few dalmation spots). He has a cool personality, is a "big boy", and is really pretty! This is why...and heres my new setups:
                              Enclosure#1- Male patternless (fires grey/black)
                              Female patternless w/ dalmation
                              Enclosure #2- Male fire (lavender/blonde) w/ dalmation
                              Female fire (lavender/ blonde) w/dalmation
                              Enclosure #3- Male tiger (w/ little dalmation)
                              Female tiger
                              AND OF COURSE... I have my leo breeding group and my 2 CHAHOUA juvies too!!!
                              THIS WAY...I am set up to just add females to my 3 crested groups, or add a group later while still having them all with a male/female for breeding purposes while I wait. It (obviously) will look much better with select groups too! Let me know what you all think!

Comment

Working...
                              X