Not sure...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure...

Alright, not sure if this is in the right place, but here goes.

I picked this guy up from Rick (sport88) the other day. Rick told me that the guy that had him before Rick had him in a large enclosure with several other geckos, including males. So he's a little battle scarred on the head (as you can see). Notice he has very little crests on his head, but a nice thick area on his 'shoulders'? I'm wondering if maybe he did have some nice crests on his head at one point but they got 'chewed' off in battles? Any thoughts on this? I'll try to get some better pics tonight to show his head 'structure' a little better. I looked at it earlier and it seems possible...but he quickly cut short his handling time by pooing on me

3.6.3 Crested Geckos
    0.0.1 Bearded dragon
    0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
    0.0.1 Axolotl
    1.1.0 Cats (Lightbulb and Paperclip)

Kazzy's Kritters

My iHerp Page
    Middle TN Exotic Pets Club

I would guess going by the rest of the crests that he is probably just poorly-crested. The crests seem to be there, just not very large, and I haven't seen broken crests grow back before.

I should start making crestoupees!
    JBsCresties.com & Facebook & Instagram, oh my

Comment

I need to, right? lol!

I don't know, it almost looks like he's missing some on his head, or some are 'cut' short'. Could be wishful thinking on my part. Guess I'll just have to see what he produces. Thanks JB
      3.6.3 Crested Geckos
      0.0.1 Bearded dragon
      0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
      0.0.1 Axolotl

Kazzy's Kritters

My iHerp Page

Comment

Don't know what just happened, but my post disappeared lol! Let me try this again.
        I'm going to bump this up with some better pics. After close inspection of where there should be crests, I'm seeing what looks like scar tissue around the areas where there are no crests, or little nubs of crests with scar tissue at the end. Still undecided if I'll breed this male due to his lack of crests, but I'm thinking there could have been a decent head of crests there at one point in time. Again, might be wishful thinking, but I do hope that he is somewhat of breedable quality as I'd really like to work on larger-than-normal cresties with him (he's a big boy), plus I LOVE that the crests on his shoulders and the dashing down his back 'glows' because of the yellow around the white.
        Here's a shot of the shoulder crests, which are nice and thick.

See the 'glow' I'm talking about?

And notice the what looks like scar tissue around the head where there are no crests, or at the end up the 'nubs' of crests?

And you can see his 'eye-lash' crests are perfectly fine

The only areas that are missing crests are around the head part, yet he has the thick crests on his shoulders, and perfect eye-lashes. You can also see where the head 'points out' where it should if it were supporting crests, whereas badly structured geckos usually do not show this.

The previous owner has eggs cooking now, so I guess we'll see. In the meantime, I'll be looking for a nicely sized great-structured female to possibly pair with him. If the offspring from him turn out just as bald looking, I'll find me another big male.
        3.6.3 Crested Geckos
        0.0.1 Bearded dragon
        0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
        0.0.1 Axolotl

Kazzy's Kritters

My iHerp Page

Comment

i can see what you're talking about, but it still looks like that's his natural look. but since a lot of people prefer to breed geckos that have good crests and good structure, even if it is a case of chewed off crests, he still doesn't have the best structure.

i think waiting to see what his offspring from the previous pairing come out like is a good idea. i will admit that the crests he does have are nice, but i'd be pretty hesitant anyway. if you do end up breeding him, definitely find a female with excellent structure and try to incubate at a low temperature, so they have a longer time to develop.
          Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
          :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook

Comment

Very true. I try to incubate low anyway, haha! I found a big ol' girl (72 grams) that I'd LOVE to get if I could right now.
            3.6.3 Crested Geckos
            0.0.1 Bearded dragon
            0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
            0.0.1 Axolotl

Kazzy's Kritters

My iHerp Page

Comment

Working...
            X