Breeding help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breeding help

So i have had my female and male PI chahoua paired in there exo terra for a while now with no signs of eggs. Just wondering when i should expect to start seeing some results. There is no aggression or fighting between the two, no nips or marks and they eat and hang near each other usually around the cage. They are in a vivarium so plenty of places to lay but have yet to find a single egg. Am i missing something or doing something wrong? My female is 5 years old now and the male is over 2 years now i believe. Thanks in advanced.
    1.1 pine island chahoua

It’s still really early in the season, and this species needs time to bond. I normally recommend placing them together really late in the off season so that the male isn’t trying to breed, instead it gives them time to get to know one another. They are like leachies in this sense, they have to actually like one another, pairs don’t always work out 100% of the time. These guy’s breed most often at night, so you may not here them breeding, nor does the male always leave scars. These guys have a long gestation, laying around every 6-8 weeks. So depending on when you placed them together, you may not notice signs of breeding, just that all of a sudden what seems like months later the female is gravid. Just be sure to keep up in extra calcium on their feeders, I personally use and recommend UVB for this species. And just keep an eye out on the female. This species is very ways to tell when the female is gravid.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Comment

They have been together in there vivarium for about 5 months now at least. Still havnt seen my female show much signs of being gravid although im rather new to this and cant tell the best. When exactly should i start expecting to see eggs being laid? Thank you!
      1.1 pine island chahoua

Comment

What is your temperature range, humidity, etc.? Is it a planted viv? Is your female getting extra calcium? What are you feeding them?

I'm not sure what the gecko equivalent of romantic music is. . .
        3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

temp is mid 70's usually, humidity i dont have a solid number but its always humid with my mister going off 3 times a day plus covered vivarium. Never find a stuck shed, planted vivarium. She doesnt enjoy feeders much so i try and give her as much pangea as she wants with 2 bowls for her and him. I do offer them dubia roaches and pheonix worms when they want them which hasnt been for a few months as of late. My male devours them rather quickly when they are put in the cage. I wish i could find some good romantic music that works on them lol!
          1.1 pine island chahoua

Comment

Try bumping their temps up, for breeding season these guys do well around 84 degrees, however my pairs start breeding in the mid 70's, but I also have established pairs that have been living together for a while. But I find new pairs do best when introduced a bit cooler, then start increasing their temps to stimulate breeding. How long are your lights on for?

Do keep an eye on her calcium levels as she starts laying. This species lays highly calcified eggs so it isnt uncommon for the females to get wavy tails after laying. Getting her to take dusted insects on the regular, and a good UVB bulb will help with that.
            lets just say I have a lot of stuff
            www.sublimereptiles.com
            Facebook
            BOI

Comment

They are on usually a full 12 hour cycle. I shut them on and off myself. about 6:40 in the morning to 5-5:30 6 at night. I think i have a UVB bulb in one of the hoods i cant remember. But its always warmer in there vivarium then in my room. I cant add heat without sacrificing one of the grow bulbs.
              1.1 pine island chahoua

Comment

If your grow bulbs are LEDs, you could sub in a fluorescent grow bulb for a while. That should raise the temps a little bit.
                3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

I have 1 set as LED and one as fluorescent so they do stay warmer.
                  1.1 pine island chahoua

Comment

How long do you keep them under the LED?

Comment

Working...
                    X