Gecko won't eat...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gecko won't eat...

I'm at a loss. I've had my chahoua since February 2013 and he has never taken to the powdered diet. I've talked to several different reptile owners and breeders about what they feed their geckos and I've tried preparing my gecko's diet many different ways. Adding honey, adding juice, different types of pureed fruit, different flavors of powdered diet, different brands. His temperatures and humidity are good, I check everyday, more often than not several times a day. At best he's shown a fleeting interest and then shortly after won't eat it. However he has always loved his bugs. He would eat them forever if I'd let him. But now recently he won't even eat bugs. Not crickets, not worms, nothing. It's been 2 weeks. I'm very worried. I recently tried force feeding but he's stubborn and I don't want to hurt him.

I'm not sure what to do.
    1.0.0 M. Chahoua {Tiamat}
    1.0 Fluffy Cardigan Welsh Corgi {Rigby}

Try different brands of diet.. And different types of bug. He might also eat from your finger if you have CGD on it..
    Correlophus ciliatus x5 (Bella, mango, tiny, butterscotch and daisy, and yes daisy is a boy)

Mniargekko Chahoua x1 (Java chip)

Rhombodera stalli x5

Comment

Has he seen a vet? I'd at least get a fecal for him. What are the temperatures in his tank, what device are you using to check temperatures, and what size enclosure is he in?
      Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
      :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by rubberduckey273 View Post
        Has he seen a vet? I'd at least get a fecal for him. What are the temperatures in his tank, what device are you using to check temperatures, and what size enclosure is he in?
        normally temps range low 80s during the day and low 70s at night, right now it's night and they are at approx. 71 or 72.
        I have just a simple temp and humidity analog gauge from zoo med. He is in a 18 X 18 X 24 exo terra, has been for several months, not quite a year.

I will try to get a poo sample, might need to force feed for that. Can't get poo if he's not eating

Comment

If he's not full grown, you might consider moving him to a smaller enclosure for a while and see if that helps. Did you notice any changes when you moved him to the larger tank? How are you feeding insects?

Comment

If he's not full grown, you might consider moving him to a smaller enclosure for a while and see if that helps. Did you notice any changes when you moved him to the larger tank? How are you feeding insects?
            when I first moved him it was the typical response, he didn't eat as much but it didn't last long. He did alright ('alright' is relative to him, it means i would find some food missing lol) for a few months, then we moved into our first house about five and a half months ago and I think that's around the time his already low interest in powder diet went down.
            I feed insects in a separate Kritter keeper, always have and it has never seemed to bother him, he ate bugs just fine like that.

I will move him back into his Kritter keeper and see how he acts.

I did notice last night he was shedding, does that put them off food at all during that time?

Thank you for all your help.

Comment

I don't have Chahoua's, but my Cresteds will stop eating coming into shed. Are you weighing the gecko to see if weight is being lost? I have a lot more peace of mind being able to watch the weights of my geckos.

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
              1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Comment

Originally posted by Duders View Post
                when I first moved him it was the typical response, he didn't eat as much but it didn't last long. He did alright ('alright' is relative to him, it means i would find some food missing lol) for a few months, then we moved into our first house about five and a half months ago and I think that's around the time his already low interest in powder diet went down.
                I feed insects in a separate Kritter keeper, always have and it has never seemed to bother him, he ate bugs just fine like that.

I will move him back into his Kritter keeper and see how he acts.

I did notice last night he was shedding, does that put them off food at all during that time?

Thank you for all your help.

Shedding can cause them to stop eating, but that shouldn't be more than a couple of days. I have a few geckos that wont eat if I'm picking them up and moving them to a separate tank, which I assume is stress related. I feed crickets with the long feeding tongs, and I feed dubias in small glass bowls. If you haven't already, order some of the Pangea Fruit mix. I believe Matt offers a guarantee too. My young chewies prefer bugs and usually only lick a little at most of the fruit mixes, but even the little ones like the pangea diet (watermelon is preferred by most of mine). The adults over 2 years old eat more of the diets than bugs.

How often do you handle him? And how often are you weighing him?

Comment

Try this http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/s...cot-hp-hf.html
                  ~Crested geckos | 0.0.2~ *aquariums*
                  leopard geckos {cresties}

Comment

Shedding can cause them to stop eating, but that shouldn't be more than a couple of days. I have a few geckos that wont eat if I'm picking them up and moving them to a separate tank, which I assume is stress related. I feed crickets with the long feeding tongs, and I feed dubias in small glass bowls. If you haven't already, order some of the Pangea Fruit mix. I believe Matt offers a guarantee too. My young chewies prefer bugs and usually only lick a little at most of the fruit mixes, but even the little ones like the pangea diet (watermelon is preferred by most of mine). The adults over 2 years old eat more of the diets than bugs.

How often do you handle him? And how often are you weighing him?
                    I handle him once a day, but only for a few minutes. Longer when I feed him. He's skittish. I don't weigh him often.
                    Is the pangea a complete diet, like Rapashy?

Comment

Originally posted by Its_joshdoe View Post
                      It says the page isn't found.

Comment

Originally posted by Duders View Post
                        It says the page isn't found.
                        Yeah. They took it down. Bummer. Save the link, they may put it back up when they get more in stock.
                        ~Crested geckos | 0.0.2~ *aquariums*
                        leopard geckos {cresties}

Comment

Yes, the pfmc is a complete food. A lot of people that have had issues getting their chahoua to eat a fruit mix have had much better success with pangea's mix.

I would cut down handling to the absolute minimum necessary to care for him until you can get his eating stable. Make sure he has enough cork bark to feel secure. Plants are good too, but focus on cork rounds and flats. When you mix his food, try making a thin layer of the food in the dish so you can get a better idea of if he's eating any of it or not. Weighing him is another way to see if he's getting enough nutrition. Weight gain is the best, and maintaining weight is ok, but if he's losing weight getting him to a vet is essential if you can't eliminate the issue on your own. I'd stay away from mealworms and try to get him to eat crickets or dubia roaches. Get a glass or ceramic bowl with sides high enough that the bugs can't escape but wide enough that he can see them. For crickets, remove the back legs so they can't roam around the tank.

Comment

Yes, the pfmc is a complete food. A lot of people that have had issues getting their chahoua to eat a fruit mix have had much better success with pangea's mix.

I would cut down handling to the absolute minimum necessary to care for him until you can get his eating stable. Make sure he has enough cork bark to feel secure. Plants are good too, but focus on cork rounds and flats. When you mix his food, try making a thin layer of the food in the dish so you can get a better idea of if he's eating any of it or not. Weighing him is another way to see if he's getting enough nutrition. Weight gain is the best, and maintaining weight is ok, but if he's losing weight getting him to a vet is essential if you can't eliminate the issue on your own. I'd stay away from mealworms and try to get him to eat crickets or dubia roaches. Get a glass or ceramic bowl with sides high enough that the bugs can't escape but wide enough that he can see them. For crickets, remove the back legs so they can't roam around the tank.
                            So don't take him out of his tank to feed? I have large ghostbranches in there from NEHerp, and a few plastic foliage.

I would really love to start feeding him dubia but I'm wondering how I would care for them if I don't plan to breed them. I only have the one gecko and I think keeping a whole colony of roaches would be a bit overkill. I hear they breed pretty quickly, I don't want to be overrun. :P I have phoenix worms for him right now, I've heard they're very nutritious.

Comment

Definitely leave him alone to feed. Your main goal right now is to make sure you can get him eating regularly and on his own, and growing properly. One of the biggest mistakes I have seen people make over the years of reptile keeping (with any geckos, not just chahoua) is trying to handle them before they are established. Another is moving their enclosure around too much. You really want to make sure a reptile is eating regularly and growing properly before you worry getting them used to handling or upgrading their enclosure. The less variables in the mix, the easier it is to figure out what the issue is.

Make up a dish of food as I mentioned, and leave it in his tank overnight and through the next day. You can pull out the food dish the following evening and look for evidence of him having licked up the food. Make up a new batch if the dish is empty, looks too dry or is looking bad. Some geckos prefer fresh mrp, some like it to sit out for a while.

If you post a picture of his setup, I can give more pointers there.

Phoenix worms are good, if he's eating them. Dubias are great and really easy to care for, and you don't have to worry about breeding them if you don't want to. Don't bother buying adults. If you can buy a mix of small sizes, you can feed the largest to your gecko first and then let the smaller ones grow until they're the right size for him to eat. That way you pick them off before they get big enough to breed. You can just get a plastic shoebox, get some water crystals and a good bug chow (or bug burgers, my dubias love that stuff) and throw some fruits and veggies in now and then.

Comment

Working...
                              X