PI chahoua or ML chahoua?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PI chahoua or ML chahoua?

Which one do you prefer and why? Picture differences are helpful too as I am a very visual person!
    Mary Frizzell
    Check out my Facebook page at "Good Luck Geckos"

I only have a mainland chahoua and I love him, he's so goofy and sweet. PI chahoua come with more colour variations, and they get larger. Mainlands don't have as many variations but they can have some nice reds and greens in them . People also say Mainlands can have mor health problems and defects but I think that has to do more with the breeder than the Locale. And Mainlands aren't as pricey . It depends on what you want and the amount of space and money you have .. Just to give you an idea, Mainlands can be as low as $250 and as much as $650. And PI are more along the lines of $350-400 to $750-800

Hope this helps!
    -Cole
    Correlophus ciliatus x5 (Bella, mango, tiny, butterscotch and daisy, and yes daisy is a boy)

Mniargekko Chahoua x1 (Java chip)

Rhombodera stalli x5

Comment

PI's are usually more colorful, costly, and a tad bit larger. Mainlands are usually a little cheaper and I have seen some amazing ML's that blow most PI's away. I also remember reading that the PI's and mainlands aren't actually pure locales as when they first were brought over they weren't separated and only separated after a certain number of years of breeding based on traits as they didn't know lineage.

Comment

Originally posted by InventorReptiles View Post
        PI's are usually more colorful, costly, and a tad bit larger. Mainlands are usually a little cheaper and I have seen some amazing ML's that blow most PI's away. I also remember reading that the PI's and mainlands aren't actually pure locales as when they first were brought over they weren't separated and only separated after a certain number of years of breeding based on traits as they didn't know lineage.
        Yes when they were first brough over they were cross bred, but Phillipe de vosjoli went out to New Caledonia after the first expedition by henkel. When vosjoli went over he payed attention to the locales and kept them separate (from what he says). It is a big mess as they will say in the video but I believe there are still a few pure chewies out there. The parents of my Mainland are text book mainlands so I believe mine is fairly pure. Here is a video that is a must watch for any Chahoua/Leachianus keeper, http://www.exo-terra.com/media/tv/ge...de_vosjoli.php

-Cole
        Correlophus ciliatus x5 (Bella, mango, tiny, butterscotch and daisy, and yes daisy is a boy)

Rhombodera stalli x5

Comment

I have all PI at the moment, but I'm planning on eventually getting a mainland pair. I like that most PI have more distinct patterning, and a lot of the PI fire down in some really beautiful pastels. From what I've seen from pictures, if you're more partial to greens, go PI. If you want something more red or dark, mainlands are the way to go. And the best thing you can do is just find someone that has a pairing that you like the look of, since you'll probably get some combination of them. Honestly, I like that a lot of the mainlands have shorter snouts and larger eyes.

As for health issues, I think the "issues" with mainlands has been somewhat debunked. And if you're buying from a reputable breeder with healthy adults, and your gecko gets the proper care, that shouldn't be an issue. Also, I've been seeing more and more mainlands popping up with some really awesome patterning.
          Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
          :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook

Comment

Yea I've got a high patterned baby mainland.. His parents are beautiful. Yea I like the big eyes and shorter snout . And no your definitely not gonna find any light mainlands, mainly dark reds/browns but they do often have a green base with dark red blotches. You make a great point on pretty much everything on your post . Good luck with your future pair of mainlands and your current PI's!

Rhombodera stalli x5

Comment

I just love my PIs and have 5, but maybe someday would consider getting a mainland pair. I love some of the really rich reds they can have, but really think I would want a near-black pair. My friend has a dark mainland pair that are really striking.
              http://www.facebook.com/RainyDayGeckos

Comment

Working...
              X