Problems with Feeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Feeding

I've had my chewie for over a year now. When I got him, I was told he was a good eater of both cgd and bugs. Since I got him into my care he has ignored bugs and cgd. I fed him cgd for a long time but he barely touched it, so I tried experimenting and switched to Hilde's diet and he was loving it! I could watch him eat it and he seemed to enjoy it, and then he just sort of stopped eating as much. He's very, very skittish (ever since I got him) so I respected that and experimented with being super hands off for the past couple of months, in the hopes he may open up and be a bit more social, instead he became more antisocial. Tonight I decided to break my hands off approach and pulled him out and weighed him. He's lost about 10 grams and I notice some kinks in the end of his tail.... I feel like such a s**t parent. I always add repti-vitamin to his food, but obviously that's not doing it for him.

So in the morning I intend to:
    1. Remove him, weigh him, take down notes
    2. Tear down his tank
    3. Deep clean everything
    4. Set up his tank sterile with paper-towel
    5. Go to the petstore, buy crickets, wax worms, phoenix worms, anything and everything, as well as possibly pick up Repashy Rescue Cal+
    6. Begin attempting to switch him back to Repashy and off Hilde

Questions:
    - So, what i'm wondering is, does this sound like a good course of action?
    - Should I get the Repashy Rescue Cal+?
    - What bugs should I get??? He's never shown any interest what-so-ever in any bugs, in the past. I have tried phoenix worms, crickets and mealies. I've heard wax worms can be a good introductory bug?
    - Is there anything I can do to make him more keen on Repashy? I've heard of adding honey, but that adds a lot of sugar, though I'm not sure i'm so worried about that as much as I am getting weight back on him.

I'm hideously ashamed of myself for letting him lose this weight and letting his calcium levels drop. I see him so little, I thought he was fine from the few times I do see him, but I was wrong and now it's costing him and I feel awful. Any advice to help me turn this around and help him would be absolutely amazing.

Other Details: He lives in an 18x18x24 terrarium, he has a basking lamp with the highest temp being 80F and the lowest around 70F, at night it drops to about 65F. He receives 3 hours of humidity every night and never experiences shedding problems (he just shed two nights ago and everything came off fine).
    0.0.1 - Abel Gideon - Northern BTS
    1.0 - Timey Wimey - Crested Gecko
    1.0 - Sammy - Chahoua

Oliver has found a new forever home

Is he an adult chewie or a juvenile? If he's an adult I wouldn't worry too much about the tank size. If he's a juvie it's possible the tank is just too much for him so breaking it down or putting him into a smaller enclosure isn't a bad idea. Concentrate on the foods he likes. I've been lucky as my chewie likes Repashy and Pangea diets. Try mixing with fresh blended fruit like fig, papay, mango to see if he comes around. We also feed various roaches. Lateralis (red racers, turkish roaches) are small and fast and seem to get the attention of bug lovers. For someone that doesn't like bugs you might need to go slow and not overwhelm him with a lot of bugs at once. Try one at a time or put them in a cup. Tong feeding might also help elicit a response. Try waving a wiggling bug in front of his face. Any of the above bugs will be great if he will eat them! Repashy Calcium Plus is great, so is Sticky Tongue Farm's Miner-all indoor formula.

If he's shedding, that's a good sign that he's eating/growing. Having him on paper towel can help monitor poop, which is hard to measure in a live terrarium. I love naturalistic setups but the gecko needs to be established on food first.

Good luck!
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Hey Spyral, thanks for you're response. This guys at least 4-5 years old now. I broke down the tank this morning, so now he's on paper towel so I can begin monitoring his poops better. I have given him a bowl of water, a bowl of repashy (i'm going to try adding some banana to it to see if that entices him tonight) and a bowl of mealies (which I grow) and a mealie beetle (darkling) cause I've noticed with my others sometimes there frantic movements really gets them thinking about food.

I live in Canada so I cannot keep any species of roach, so unfortunately that's not an option. I'm going to pick up some wax worms and 5-10 small crickets to try him with. I will also pick up the Rescue Cal, i've read that a good way to administer it is to make it up with water (as per instructions and measurements) and then just to put one or two dabs on his nose every night, just to supplement him a bit better. Like I said, all bugs and his fruit mixes have added repti-vit mixed in. He's just so thin and his tail is definitely kinked at the end =(

Again open to any other suggestions, please don't suggest dubia roaches as an option though as I do live in Canada and cannot legally own them, and as someone involved in law I have no desire to break it.

Thanks again Spyral
      0.0.1 - Abel Gideon - Northern BTS
      1.0 - Timey Wimey - Crested Gecko
      1.0 - Sammy - Chahoua

Oliver has found a new forever home

Comment

Bugs bugs bugs!
        Definitely go get him some crickets ASAP. My chaouha all prefer bugs over their MRP. Usually the repashy/PFMC just ends up as food for the bugs that get out of the feeding dish.
        www.Gracious Geckos.com
        Specializing in (but not limited to) R. auriculatus!
        Facebook!

Comment

I'm not very familiar with the Repti-Vit product. Just make sure you aren't over-supplementing vitamins D & A. You may not need to use it every feeding. Alternate with pure calcium or one with low-D.

You can use the Rescue-Cal as you described and you can also prepare the liquid per directions and use that mixture to replace water when you use a commercial powdered diet.

If he'll take bugs, get him some! I recommend 2x week feeding for chewies if they like their bugs. Don't overwhelm him with live food, feed one bug at a time.
          Specializing in Crested Geckos
          Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
          Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
          Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Working...
          X