Room to cold for new chahoua?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Room to cold for new chahoua?

I recently purchased a male subadult Chahoua which i will be picking up on Wed. He will be housed in a 18x18x24 exo-terra terrarium with a live plant setup. I will be using a couple of fluorescent bulbs to keep the plants alive and healthy

The problem: the room in which he lives will be kept pretty cold. It's kept at around 65-71.5 degrees. It's my bedroom and the misses and me love to snuggle up in some heavy covers.....it helps us sleep. I'm sure this environment will be too cold for the little guy to thrive and the fluorescent bulbs used to keep the plants alive wont emit much heat if any at all.

How do i heat up the cage enough but not too much? I'd like to keep the night lighting to a minimum because its our bedroom and too much light obviously makes it hard to sleep. Heaters, ceramic heating, or red/blue night glo-lights? If so, how many and what wattage? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Picture of the little guy attached.

Click image for larger version

Name:	095.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1078902

You could look into an under the tank heater, that should raise it up a few degrees. 65 isn't the end of the world, but ideally these guys would like 70-74. Lower temps mean less activity and less eating.
    Krystal

Gekkonidazed Geckos

Comment

Thank you for your response.

The only problem i see with a heat pad under the cage is that the habitat will be naturalistic. It'll have 2" of rock as a drainage layer followed by 2" of soil for the plants. I don't know if the heat pad will penetrate these layers.

Comment

We've used an u.t.h on some of our naturalistic enclosures to help raise them a few degrees. I've seen geckos hanging out over top of those spots. You could also look into a basking spot, some people have started using those for their chahoua and I hear good things about it.
        Krystal

Gekkonidazed Geckos

Comment

Krystal mentioned the basking spots above. This is a good post about it. http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...ahoua-Maybe-so!

Comment

A low wattage ceramic heat emitter works great! It also does not put off any light so you can keep it on at night. You could put a piece of cork bark a couple inches below it and supply him a good basking spot he can go under and get warm! Also like the uth pads the ceramic emitters last like forever. Hope this helped
            Dom

Comment

Can you put UTH's on the side of the enclosure?

Comment

you can, but the gecko would almost be in direct contact. they make small ones that are meant for hermit crabs/anything in a <5 gallon that would probably work fine. or a regular one on a limiter of some kind

Comment

Is there a reason that the room cannot get up to higher temps when you two aren't hibernating, i.e. during the day?
                  Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Comment

Working...
                  X