My sweet chewie turned mean.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My sweet chewie turned mean.

So my puppy dog chewie all of a sudden turned into Cujo. She has been paired for 5 months and both have always been sweet. Yesterday I went to feed and she was like an attack dog ran to the door I went to rub her head like always and bam she attacked. Then anything I went for charged me again. Do you think she might gravid? There are no eggs in there. I have no problem leaving her alone I understand she is a reptile not a puppy, just such a drastic behavioral change.
    4.11.10 Crested Gecko (Flash,Nemo,Pip, Addie,Flip,Summer,Chip,FB,Teal, Sweetie, Slice, Star, Scuba, Brinx, Peach )
    2.0 Golden Retrievers (Dreamer,Catcher)

Aww... I fear when this day will come... From the stories I have heard from different breeders, and Krystal's post of the female chahoua guarding her eggs... I imagine your girl is probably gravid or has laid somewhere in the cage. I'd be curious to know if this behavior dies down when breeding season is over?

Comment

I took everything out no eggs for sure. Going to keep an eye on the lay box.
      4.11.10 Crested Gecko (Flash,Nemo,Pip, Addie,Flip,Summer,Chip,FB,Teal, Sweetie, Slice, Star, Scuba, Brinx, Peach )

Comment

The hormones are really pumping during breeding season, I have a girl who was my sweetest handler since she was 4g on up. For a few months she would lunge at me without me even opening the cage. My head was near her door as I was watering the shelf below her, and she charged. She's protecting whats hers and telling me to back off basically.

I have a fully adult male too, that was doing the open mouth hissing thing when I'd try to feed him. He'd lunge for me for the offense of setting fresh food down.

Both are perfectly fine out of their enclosures though. And I have a few other adults that don't behave territorial at all in their spaces, so I think its a luck of the draw thing more than anything else.

If she's gravid and ready to lay, she's probably grumpy and wanting to chase as many "threats" out of the area before she lays down her vulnerable cargo.
        Meg
        THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
        on facebook

Comment

Cool that is what I was hoping for. Although I wish she stayed happy and friendly. Lol!

Comment

I have been wanting to buy a pair of Chewies but hearing some of these stores make me re think. I breed Cresteds and Gargoyles and I did have the male Gargoyle bite me and even draw a little blood. Do these Chewies have teeth????

Comment

Yes they have teeth. I've yet to be bitten by mine, if you can recognize the signs of them warning you off their territory, you should be ok. Once out of their enclosures they are totally chill and fine.
              Meg
              THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
              on facebook

Comment

Oh, that is good to know.
                I was wondering if you deal with anyone that breeeds them??

Comment

PM me if you want the names/experiences of the people I've purchased from. Can't post that publicly
                  Meg
                  THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
                  on facebook

Comment

Working...
                  X