Underbite correction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underbite correction?

So I just noticed that my little guy, Rhino, (he's only about 20g) has developed a tiny underbite. He comes from great parents so I know it shouldn't be genetics thus I am thinking it must be his diet. I am feeding CGD primarily with crickets every week and a half/two weeks. Should I boost his calcium intake by mixing a little powder into his CGD in addition to dusting the crickets or is there something else I should be doing to help prevent any further development? And, since he's still little, is it possible to correct the tiny bit of underbite he's got?

Thanks in advance for helping my little guy out. I love him to death and want to make sure I'm giving him what he needs.

I'm sorry to hear your little guy is developing an underbite. At that size, it should be easily corrected. This thread should shed some light on the diets of a chahoua. http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...nd-Fairy-Tales

I would feed more dusted insects. Increase it to at least once, if not twice a week. Make sure they are gut loaded and dusted with the proper supplement. If you have not been dusting your insects, that's probably your biggest issue. Hope this helps! Keep us posted on the little guy's progress.

Comment

More bugs, more dusting would be great for your chewie. I would leave the CGD as-is, and feed gutloaded, dusted crickets two or more times a week. Feed as many as he will eat in 20 mins, as long as they are appropriately sized. I recommend using Repashy Calcium Plus at each feeding. Once every so often I will dust with Miner-all Indoor formula, as it has slightly different ingredients and more trace minerals.

Good luck with correcting the under bite!
      Specializing in Crested Geckos
      Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
      Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
      Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Do what Mischiefunit and Spyral are saying, they are absolutely correct, Chahoua need lots of calcium to grow correctly. There are also some people who are trying using UVB bulbs to help them process the calcium and they say that works. May as well try. But I can't stress how important it is to dust your crickets or any insects you feed every time to any reptile.

Comment

Thank you very much everyone. I will absolutely follow your advice. I really appreciate all the help! My little guy's dusted cricket diet will be boosted pronto!

Comment

I am getting one that just turned 9 months and has just developed a small underbite... Will your guys's techniques work for him?
            Correlophus ciliatus x5 (Bella, mango, tiny, butterscotch and daisy, and yes daisy is a boy)

Mniargekko Chahoua x1 (Java chip)

Rhombodera stalli x5

Comment

They can't hurt.
              Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Comment

Originally posted by MPLexus301 View Post
                They can't hurt.
                Ok, but I still want it corrected so will that work?
                Correlophus ciliatus x5 (Bella, mango, tiny, butterscotch and daisy, and yes daisy is a boy)

Rhombodera stalli x5

Comment

It may work but it may not - nobody can say for sure, especially without seeing pictures of the jaw in it's current condition. Feeding additional insects (2ish times a week - all he can eat) dusted with Ca should be a good start.

Comment

Originally posted by MPLexus301 View Post
                    It may work but it may not - nobody can say for sure, especially without seeing pictures of the jaw in it's current condition. Feeding additional insects (2ish times a week - all he can eat) dusted with Ca should be a good start.
                    Ok thank you!

Rhombodera stalli x5

Comment

Just a quick update. I have been following the instructions given and my little guy is improving.

Comment

Very good to hear!

Comment

Working...
                        X