Chewie hide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chewie hide

So I am collecting items for my soon to arrive chewie's enclosure. I have some nice cork bark and am going to get some extra climbing vines as well as some silk plants. I was considering a magnatural hideaway (my three cresteds love theirs) but wasn't sure as I've read chewies don't hide quite as much. Question one is: would they like a hideaway or is there something else they'd prefer? And question 2 is: If they do like those hides, which size would be best? I have small ones for my cresties, but I know chewies tend to be bigger so do they need the medium hide?

Thanks!

I provide corkbark hides for all of our chewies. Some choose to use them, some don't. I would recommend the same for you. I'd go with a medium size so your gecko has room to grow.
    Krystal

Gekkonidazed Geckos

Comment

Thanks Krystal! When you say corkbark hides, do you mean a cork round to crawl down inside or a cork half log that goes on the ground? Or do you just give several different pieces of cork in the terrarium and they can choose? Also, is there anything else you tend to put in for your chewies so I can make the baby feel more at home when it arrives?

Comment

Right now the one you are getting is pretty small yet, so I have a paper towel roll in there, but she mostly hangs out on her sticks.

We have these really cool cardboard rounds that we had gotten somewhere that we use for the chewies. Usually my adults are either in them or sitting on top of them. We also use corkbark in the backgrounds. I also have real corkbark rounds that are just like those cardboard rounds for the leachies. I recommend getting the corkbark rounds, they are easier to find than those tubes we have.

Krystal

Gekkonidazed Geckos

Comment

Wow! Those cardboard tubes are neat! I picked up a nice cork round and will get a cork background for the terrarium too. In looking over the cork, it looks like it will be tricky to clean. Is there a point at which you just have to throw out the old cork and buy new ones? If so, how often should I budget to get new cork?
          I know it's a bit off topic, but how big is my little chewie now? Has she grown any?

Comment

Honestly, we really don't clean anything in the enclosures other than the glass. Once those cork tubes are beyond their lifespan, we just put new ones in. Corkbark is hardy and all you'd have to do to clean it is rinse in hot water, so it should last forever.

Your little one is growing nicely, and enjoying her cgd and roaches. If I wasn't feeling like death right now, I'd get up and go weigh her. I know she's growing for sure though.
            Krystal

Gekkonidazed Geckos

Comment

double post is the bane of my existence lately..
              Krystal

Gekkonidazed Geckos

Comment

Oh no! I'm sorry you're not feeling well. That's not ok. I hope you recover quickly. And thanks for the update. Glad to hear she's an enthusiastic eater!

Get better soon!

Comment

I had a coconut half in my chewies tank and she would use it all the time as well as hanging out on the back of a cork half that was placed towards a dark corner. I would use a few options and see what your chewie likes.
                  Darren

Comment

Working...
                  X