Humidity questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humidity questions?

So I know that chewies need to be kept at 70-90% humidity and that there best being kept in a tub due to the humidity staying higher and the substrate not needing to be sprayed as much but how much substrate do you use and how wet do u actually get it to start off with.
    Darren

i've just been using paper towels. i don't soak the cage, but i do thoroughly mist and check regularly for mold. i had to add a bunch of extra holes to my tub with my first one because it wasn't drying out at all.
    Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
    :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook

Comment

Well I would say 60-80 percent is fine. Lol am I the only one that uses evaporative humidifiers. My reptiles have their own room I use two humidifiers I've done this for over a year keeps the room at 65% during the day 75% at night. The room is 12x15. Substrate papers towels is easiest. I use reptile bark zoo med brand I love it. I do have a planted terrarium with 6 inches of Eco earth And sand. When I feed bugs I do it in a separate enclosure though.
      1.0.0 GT/PI Chahoua
      3.0.0 PI Chahoua
      0.1.0 Leachianus unknown Locale

Comment

My chewies aren't at any higher humidity than anyone else. Some people say they "need" it, but I have never found this to be the case. Mine clean their cgd bowls or hunt down their roaches like machines being kept at 50-70%. Too much humidity can cause severe skin issues, which can lead to skin infections and eventually death.

Only my babies are kept in tubs, everyone is in naturalistic enclosures that are revamped aquariums. Most of them even have screen lids. We just make sure to keep the peat moss wet for the plants.
        Krystal

Gekkonidazed Geckos

Comment

do you put any thing under the repti bark or do u just use it by its self?
          Darren

Comment

Originally posted by dron2124 View Post
            do you put any thing under the repti bark or do u just use it by its self?
            I use the bark only. IMO though Steve is probably going to be your best source for chewie care. The problem with forums that you will find is ten people can be doing chewie care in slightly different ways dosnt make any of them wrong. You really have to get a feeling for your chewie they are all different. Some love bugs some don't. Same with cgd.
            1.0.0 GT/PI Chahoua
            3.0.0 PI Chahoua

Comment

Do u find that bugs hide a lot in the bark or do u feed bugs in a dif tub?
              Darren

Comment

Originally posted by dron2124 View Post
                Do u find that bugs hide a lot in the bark or do u feed bugs in a dif tub?
                Separate tub. Give your guy at least 2 weeks to acclimate. Everyone of my Chahoua ate on their first day though.
                1.0.0 GT/PI Chahoua
                3.0.0 PI Chahoua

Comment

yea i know i cant mess with him or give him bugs for a little bit because he/she needs to get use to being in a new place. Ty for the info though i forgot what Steve told me and i fell bad calling him with more questions. We had a good half an hour talk a few days ago and iv called with a question each day. I need to give they guy a break lol.
                  Darren

Comment

I was the same way when I got my first chewie. To me they are very easy to keep maybe I've just been lucky. One thing I never see mention here is depending on where you live the climate can very drastically. For example were I live in ca it ranges From 10-100 degrees depending on time of year. The humidity varies from 40-60%. This is why I have a dedicated reptile room never warmer than 78 or cooler than 68. If I lived an 1 1/2 hours south west in Ventura were the temp ranges from 40-80 the majority of the time with humidity at least 60% I wouldn't need a whole room. It's something I think that has to be considered.
                    1.0.0 GT/PI Chahoua
                    3.0.0 PI Chahoua

Comment

Steve suggested a tub system for the whole life to nake sure humidity stays at were it needs to. I have found some very good sized tubs the last few days looking them up online.
                      Darren

Comment

I think a tub works very well for the young ones but isnt essential for adults. One thing to be careful of with tubs is not letting the entire substrate getting soaked contunously, especially on paper towels. Misting a corner or filling a water dish with a little spill over on one side is the way to go.
                        -Charles Mullen
                        I'm looking for really nice chahoua.

Comment

Working...
                        X