Chahoua Not eating any bugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chahoua Not eating any bugs

So ive had IGOR for a close to a month and every night he polishes the CGD down no problem. However He wont take bugs. The previous owner said he ate hand fed crickets, ive tried that, ive tried feeding in a separate container and he still wont take.
    Does anyone have any idea a way to make him take bugs?
    I know its only been a month but i was told he loved his bugs, I just dont want there to be any health issues as i want him to get dusted bugs.
    I would say Im worrying to much as Ive only had him a month but he is certainly not having feeding issues from the move. He gobbles up CGD

Thanks,
    Brandon
    Brandon Craig
    5.3.6.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    2.1 Rhacodactylus auriculatus
    1.0 Rhacodactylus chahoua
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus leachianus
    Zero's Geckos

Try splitting one in half so he can taste it?
    Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
    :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook

Comment

yay cricket guts!
      I just hate to have to kill them if they dont die for a purpose... Oh well lifes a b***h
      Brandon Craig
      Zero's Geckos

Comment

See this thread, its full of tips. I put a bunch in there about roach cupping.
        http://pangeareptile.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52229

I would also say feed bugs right in the evening as he's waking up, and leave the room right away, or just use a pen light to observe him. Maybe he's a shy hunter.

To break the bug ice, you can always try waxies, off the tongs, or in a dish. I have never had a chahoua turn down a waxworm. If it fit in their mouth, they ate it.

Try squishing the roach on the tongs so it releases some nice smell for him---similar to pithing a mouse for a picky snake.

The size of the bugs could be a factor too---I have a snooty chahoua that won't eat large roaches, once they are past 1/2" she wont touch them. And I had a little chewie that wouldn't waste her time on crickets that were too tiny (I had trouble getting a uniform size from the petstore)
        Meg
        THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
        on facebook

Comment

Thanks Meg!
          Ive tried roaches before and he would even look at them
          I watch your video and see how reactive your chewie is and I see IGOR not a care in the world off in dream land

Thanks Ill try doing the squishing thing. Hope this works, im not worried about weight issues or anything hes gained like 5 grams so far but I want his diet to be complete
          Brandon Craig
          Zero's Geckos

Comment

Try leaving a roach bowl in for a day or so, and they should catch his fancy. Yeah, Ohne is my little star---she was always my best watcher when I was doling out bugs. Sokka and Zuko too, my girls are always super observant of me during feeding nights, and the first ones with bugs in their mouths!
            Meg
            THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
            on facebook

Comment

its weird but when i got stoner, her breeder told me she was eating crickets once a week with out a problem. I have had stoner for 2-3 months now and i can not get stoner to eat a single bug. I have tried crickets, wax, roaches, and supers and nothing from any of them.
              Darren

Comment

My Chewie has eaten a few Waxworms, but as a general rule, won't eat bugs either...

-Wes
                4.3.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus - Yatè, Mt. Koghis, Rivière Bleue, purple Nuu Ana, Poindimiè
                3.2.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
                1.1.0 Gekko gecko
                2.1.0 Python regius

Comment

FUNNIEST THING EVER!!!!!

I was just watching him and he started flicking his tail. At first i was thinking "puppy running in sleep" but then he jumped and missed a cricket. So i guess he wants them just not from me...
                  i cant explain how adorable it was flicking his tail and head like a puppy in their sleep. I guess he was just really focused or something.
                  Any other chewies get "exited" before springing for a bug?
                  Brandon Craig
                  Zero's Geckos

Comment

^I've had a few do that, like some other gecko species such as leos and fat tails. It is cute indeed.

To those of you with Chewies that aren't eating bugs...what are your temps and humidity like?
                    Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Comment

My Leos I used to have did that all the time.
                      Occasionally one of my Cresties will too.

-Wes
                      4.3.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus - Yatè, Mt. Koghis, Rivière Bleue, purple Nuu Ana, Poindimiè
                      3.2.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
                      1.1.0 Gekko gecko
                      2.1.0 Python regius

Comment

Originally posted by Zero138 View Post
                        FUNNIEST THING EVER!!!!!

I was just watching him and he started flicking his tail. At first i was thinking "puppy running in sleep" but then he jumped and missed a cricket. So i guess he wants them just not from me...
                        i cant explain how adorable it was flicking his tail and head like a puppy in their sleep. I guess he was just really focused or something.
                        Any other chewies get "exited" before springing for a bug?
                        I love the tail shake and the focus these guys show! Both my babies will sit completely still and then do the tail shake and pounce. It's about the cutest thing ever! I've also seen them shake the bug like a dog would a toy before chomping it down. I LOVE my chewies!
                        https://www.facebook.com/Creptileroom

Comment

Working...
                        X