No announcement yet.

Chewie feeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd leave it on all day and all night. Chewies need a warm basking spot. That should jumpstart his appetite.

John
    3.8.4 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    3.8.1 Rhacodactylus chahoua 'Pine Isle'
    1 Big Dumb Yellow Lab

Jasper Sailfin Geckos on facebook

Comment

Odd... I don't remember reading about them needing one...

BUT, if that's what he had, and that's what he likes, then that's what he shall recieve!

-Wes
      4.3.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus - Yatè, Mt. Koghis, Rivière Bleue, purple Nuu Ana, Poindimiè
      3.2.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
      1.1.0 Gekko gecko
      2.1.0 Python regius

Comment

A lot of us chewie keepers provide things that most people don't say you need . I know Mina uses a basking spot on her breeding pair, and I plan to as well. Tabi has laid like clockwork and maybe the warmth has something to do with it---

I keep my chahoua tribe a tad warmer, they seem to appreciate that. Out of all the rhacs I've kept the only ones I've found to move away/dislike extra warmth are the cresteds. My saras, gargs, chewies and the leachie I had for a short time all move towards extra warmth.
        Meg
        THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
        on facebook

Comment

Good to know, thanks!

I'll be stopping off after work for another red bulb.

-Wes
          4.3.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus - Yatè, Mt. Koghis, Rivière Bleue, purple Nuu Ana, Poindimiè
          1.1.0 Gekko gecko
          2.1.0 Python regius

Comment

My chews love their basking spots. Monkey and Silka are happily under theirs right now.
            www.emilymaple.com

Comment

Originally posted by meg90 View Post
              Almost every gecko in my collection, *SNIP* chahouas will take a waxie off the tongs. They wiggle like crazy when you grab them by either end, its instant success feeding wise. If he's shy, throw them in a shallow dish. He'll eat those, I'd lay money on it.
              Well Meg was right!
              I bought some waxworms, and he had eaten 4 of the 6 out of the dish in the first 5 minutes!
              Still not a big CGD eater though...

I also put a 40w red head bulb up in one corner for him, and he seams to like that alot too.

-Wes
              1.1.0 Gekko gecko
              2.1.0 Python regius

Comment

Glad he likes the waxworms! He'll start chowing on CGD soon when his metabolism realizes it's not winter.

40 watts may generate too much heat. Are you able to take the temp at his basking spot? I use a 15-watt bulb. Remember to keep the bulb focused in one corner so he has space to get away from the heat when he wants to.

--John
                1 Big Dumb Yellow Lab

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't use a reptile bulb, just go to the lighting section of a regular store (walmart, kmart etc) and get what they call a "party bulb" they sell them in red, blue, green etc.
                  Meg
                  THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
                  on facebook

Comment

Originally posted by jaspersail View Post
                    40 watts may generate too much heat. Are you able to take the temp at his basking spot? I use a 15-watt bulb. Remember to keep the bulb focused in one corner so he has space to get away from the heat when he wants to.

Originally posted by meg90 View Post
                    Yeah, I wouldn't use a reptile bulb, just go to the lighting section of a regular store (walmart, kmart etc) and get what they call a "party bulb" they sell them in red, blue, green etc.

I'm using a 40w on a dimmer, also mounted about 4"-5" away from the top corner of his viv. I have a digital thermo up in that corner, and I've only seen a high of 83deg.(which is adjustable still).

So I shouldn't use a reptile bulb????

-Wes
                    1.1.0 Gekko gecko
                    2.1.0 Python regius

Comment

Wes,

83 degrees is fine. I was just worried that it was up over 90 degrees with a 40-watt bulb. Hopefully his basking spot allows him to get closer or farther away, depending on his temperature needs.

Sounds good!

--John
                      1 Big Dumb Yellow Lab

Comment

Originally posted by jaspersail View Post
                        Wes,

83 degrees is fine. I was just worried that it was up over 90 degrees with a 40-watt bulb. Hopefully his basking spot allows him to get closer or farther away, depending on his temperature needs.

Sounds good!
                        HAHA nah...
                        It's on a dimmer, and up in just one corner of his 40gal viv.
                        He's got PLENTY of come & go room!

-Wes
                        1.1.0 Gekko gecko
                        2.1.0 Python regius

Comment

Working...
                        X