Chewie feeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chewie feeding

Anyone have any tips on getting a 4½ year old Chewie to eat his CGD?
    He was eating perfectly fine for 4+ years with the previous owner, but ever since I've had him, doesn't even touch his CGD...
    I've been monitoring his weight, and it's definitely been fluctuating by about two grams every now and again.
    I hand feed him at least every other night, and even then he doesn't wanna eat it. He has ZERO interest in bugs too...

Gotta go hand feed my Chewie now as a matter of fact...

-Wes
    4.3.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus - Yatè, Mt. Koghis, Rivière Bleue, purple Nuu Ana, Poindimiè
    3.2.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1.1.0 Gekko gecko
    2.1.0 Python regius

Igor wont eat his cgd until its been sitting a day or two and crickets he would rather lick the calcium off haha... I literally had to hold the cricket in front of his mouth until he ate it ....
    Gargoyle Gecko 3.1.2, Pygmy Mice (lots)
    Darren http://www.iherp.com/pennhillszoo

Comment

How long have you had him now Wes? Sounds to me like he's just adjusting. As you said, he was with John for over 4 yrs, and I doubt his environment/routine had changed. Try leaving him an extra day, and on the third day put fresh CGD in. He's not going to starve himself though, he'll eat when he's hungry.

Do you have pics of his cage? It might be environmental too---I'd like to take a peek at how he's setup.

Also, the handling every second day is probably a stressor. I haven't had Izumi out at all since I got her, and I've got no doubts she's eating her MRP, and she cleaned a mixed dish of crix and waxworms---
      Meg
      THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
      on facebook

Comment

Well, I've had him since the 6th of this month, so 20 days now?
        I leave the CGD in there for 2 days, and replace it on the third, just like I do with all my Cresties, only difference is, the Cresties always eat it right away... LOL
        I handle him on average every other day, and had feed him on those days as well.
        I made the mistake of not weighing him right away, so I'm not sure how much he weighed when John shipped him, but I've only seen a high of 46 grams and a low of only 44 grams... so far.
        I weighed him tonight, and he's at 45.
        He's in a 37gal tank flipped on it's side, with tons of foilage and hidey-holes, unfortunately I don't have a pics, I'll have to charge up the camera's battery...

He's not being starved or anything, and he's not sick or anything, so I'm not super worried, but I'd feel a hell of alot better if he'd just eat by himself.

-Wes
        4.3.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus - Yatè, Mt. Koghis, Rivière Bleue, purple Nuu Ana, Poindimiè
        1.1.0 Gekko gecko
        2.1.0 Python regius

Comment

I bet you he is. My big chewies will eat in spurts it seems---for a few weeks they will only lick a bit here and there, and then all of the sudden they are members of the clean plate club.

I would get a dog dish, I bought a few for 1$ each at petco, and dust some crix and dump them in. The dumb things wont try too hard to get out if they're not crowded together, and he will have more time to eat them, and a smaller space to hunt them. Or I would suggest buying a pair of tongs, and a cup of waxies and go to town. Almost every gecko in my collection, chahoua, the saras that I just sold, and even some cresteds will take a waxie off the tongs. They wiggle like crazy when you grab them by either end, its instant success feeding wise. If he's shy, throw them in a shallow dish. He'll eat those, I'd lay money on it.

Just keep putting the MRP in on schedule, he's eating it---probably just not as much as you'd like, and oh boy have I been there haha. As I feed I literally tell each gecko "EAT your cgd!!"
          Meg
          THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
          on facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Metal_Gecko View Post
            Well, I've had him since the 6th of this month, so 20 days now?

I handle him on average every other day, and had feed him on those days as well.

He's not being starved or anything, and he's not sick or anything, so I'm not super worried, but I'd feel a hell of alot better if he'd just eat by himself.

-Wes
            I wouldn't eat by myself either if someone was handfeeding me every other day Maybe you're not letting him get hungry enough?
            My iHerp Page

http://www.facebook.com/TaraLeighsCresties

Comment

Thanks Meg,
              I'll give the corrraling of bugs in his Viv a go, and I'll pick up some wax worms tomorrow after work. :d

Maybe tl is right. Maybe I'm trying to feed him to often???

I dunno, maybe I'm just being an over worried parent...

BTW, he looks adorable being hand fed though. Like a baby dinosaur with CGD all around his mouth.

-Wes
              1.1.0 Gekko gecko
              2.1.0 Python regius

Comment

My chewie is ALWAYS looking for bugs! She's a bug-a-holic. So much so that sometimes when I put my hand in the cage she momentarily thinks my fingers are bugs and gets all excited. I've even seen her attack droplets of water that roll down the side of her enclosure after misting.
                www.Gracious Geckos.com
                Specializing in (but not limited to) R. auriculatus!
                Facebook!

Comment

Chahoua that does not eat bugs, crazy, mine go nuts. I have to second the wax worms, the chahoua's love them, I mainly only feed them to females laying eggs or females that I need to get some weight on for the breeding season.

I have had leachies not eat for quite some time, they will get hungry and eat.
                  -Justin-

Leachianus - Chahoua - Ciliatus

http://www.facebook.com/JTReptile

Comment

What's the temperature in his tank?

--John
                    3.8.4 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
                    3.8.1 Rhacodactylus chahoua 'Pine Isle'
                    1 Big Dumb Yellow Lab

Jasper Sailfin Geckos on facebook

Comment

^I was going to ask about that and humidity. Could be contributing factors...
                      Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Comment

Originally posted by jaspersail View Post
                        Originally posted by MPLexus301 View Post
                        I'll get exact readings tonight after work.

-Wes
                        1.1.0 Gekko gecko
                        2.1.0 Python regius

Comment

Originally posted by MPLexus301 View Post

Okay guys,
                          Yesterday when I got home from work, I went straight to the tank, and readings on the digital in the tank were:
                          73deg. & 75% hum.

Humidity obviously goes up when I mist...

-Wes
                          1.1.0 Gekko gecko
                          2.1.0 Python regius

Comment

Originally posted by Metal_Gecko View Post
                            Okay guys,
                            Yesterday when I got home from work, I went straight to the tank, and readings on the digital in the tank were:
                            73deg. & 75% hum.
                            Is 73 degrees simply the ambient temp inside the tank? Do you have a corner heat lamp with a basking spot?

Dino came from a tank usually around 72-76 during the day (in Spring/Summer/Fall), with a basking spot under a 15-watt red bulb on 24/7. In the winter my tanks all cool down to an average temp of about 65-70.

If he doesn't have a basking spot, his metabolism may have simply slowed due to chillier temps.

--John
                            3.8.4 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
                            3.8.1 Rhacodactylus chahoua 'Pine Isle'
                            1 Big Dumb Yellow Lab

Jasper Sailfin Geckos on facebook

Comment

Is 73 degrees simply the ambient temp inside the tank? Do you have a corner heat lamp with a basking spot?

Dino came from a tank usually around 72-76 during the day (in Spring/Summer/Fall), with a basking spot under a 15-watt red bulb on 24/7. In the winter my tanks all cool down to an average temp of about 65-70.

If he doesn't have a basking spot, his metabolism may have simply slowed due to chillier temps.
                              Yeah John,
                              Just ambient temp from sitting in the air conditioned apartment all day.
                              Ambient temps vary from I'd say 72/73 - to a max of 76...?
                              Should I add a basking spot for him in a corner then???
                              If so, leave it on all day, or just at night when he's more active?

-Wes
                              1.1.0 Gekko gecko
                              2.1.0 Python regius

Comment

Working...
                              X