How personable is your chahoua

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How personable is your chahoua

Well I have a crested and a gargoyle and iv been thinking of getting another gecko im stuck in between the leachie and a chewie. I love the leachie being chubby and that but I am not a fan of how you can't really interact with them. I am also a fan of the chewie because of the tail and i like there look and colors as well. well my question is how friendly are your chewies and about how often do you take your out and how long does he/she stay out with you on average?
    Darren

Chewies are overrated. They're not like a puppy where they're going to interact with you. I read all this stuff about them being personable, then got into them and realized all they do is sit around and do nothing. Their skin is less soft than a crestie, it feels like tape cloth, and their coloration isn't that spectacular unless you get a highly patterned individual with a lot of lichen coloration, those unfortunately are not the majority of the ones being offered. But they do have very prehensile tails. Probably one of the most overrated geckos imo. If I did not know any better, I would assume the crested would be worth more and the chahoua would be a $50 gecko. Who knew they're $350-500.

Comment

Originally posted by cork_screw View Post
      They're not like a puppy where they're going to interact with you. I read all this stuff about them being personable, then got into them and realized all they do is sit around and do nothing.
      If you want a puppy, then you get a puppy....

What gecko doesn't sit around and do nothing? I think most serious reptile keepers will agree that geckos are generally hands off and meant to be appreciated in their enclosures.

Chahoua is definitely my favorite species of gecko for many reasons. All 8 of mine are super docile and can be handled at any time for any length of time. They are a lot less flighty than my cresteds and a lot less likely to try and jump jump jump away.

My chewies are very inquisitive. They are out all the time, either sleeping on branches or waiting for roaches. They sit on their glass when my husband is sorting roaches.

Highly patterned adults are definitely hard to find right now, but once babies are available, there will be plenty to pick from out of amazing adults. I think chahoua have the best coloration and ability to camoflauge out of all the rhacs. If you are deciding between and a chahoua and a leachie, I would definitely go for a chahoua, although now some leachies can be less expensive than a chahoua. I think overall, leachies have more of a tendency to bite, but there is a lot of individual variety. I do not trust my pair of leachies to not bite me, but I know that I won't be bitten by any of my chahoua, unless I have a female close to laying eggs or protecting eggs.

I'd love the day when chahoua are $50, because then I'd have 80 of them.
      Krystal

Gekkonidazed Geckos

Comment

I handle my leachies just fine. One of mine loves to be out.

My chahouas are just like any of my other rhacs. Nothing fantabulous about them. They are cool and I live mine but mine just arent as friendly and sociable as I've heard others say theirs are.

On a good day one of mine will come to the tip of the cage for food, but not often. The other with lick with the neck is rubbed, but usually only when I have cgd on my finger.

Personally I like my leachies better.

Comment

I only have one chewie, but he is an enjoyable critter. I love all three species of rhac that I keep (crested, chewie, garg). They behave differently. That doesn't mean one is better than the other.

In my experience my chahoua is a bit more aggressive than cresteds about eating bugs. He is a little less frightened about being handled, unless I give him a rude awakening at some odd hour when he is asleep. He can run quickly, but he usually does not (again, unless startled). He seems to show a bit more caution than my cresteds, and he has never leaped off of me into space.

You should try making a pro's and con's list. Here are some starter points I would make.

Chewies: very interesting coloration/camouflage, very interesting DEVELOPMENT of color (small brown babies to brilliant green and red and lichen-like adults!); seem to rarely bite or nip (again, individual animals my vary) ; are a little more of a challenge to breed (this could be a pro or con depending on what you are looking for in your pet) ; usually can be seen out and about in the cage more than a crested (I don't know about you but my cresteds hide all day).

Leachies: large, impressive gecko ; interesting coloration ; probably a nice display animal ; tend to be cage aggressive and the bites are not something to sneeze at ; again a bit of a challenge to breed ; can have skin problems if kept too wet ; need larger housing than chewies (just depends on what you're going for)

Of course they aren't like puppies. Neither are cresteds, leachies, gargoyles, or any other lizard. We are comparing lizards to similar species, not to mammals.
          Dagan. Illumination Exotics Facebook. iHerp. Artwork.
          ~Illumination Exotics~

Comment

First of all I will say that... leachies and chahoua are both reptiles, and neither one is a cuddly puppy. Nor should they be treated as such, in my opinion.

From the examples of both species that I have met and spent time with (both in my own collection and that of Vicki's at Big Fat Geckos). Chahoua are less aggressive/defensive overall. That is not to say that there are no mean chahoua or no nice leachies, my leachies are perfectly handleable, as are my chahoua... but I find that leachies prefer to be left alone more than chahoua (in general!)

In my experience, chahoua stay out in the open more (hide by sitting on branches rather than in leaf clusters) and they come out right at lights out and will wander around and get their food with me right there. My leachies tend to wait until I am asleep, I never see them being active unless I catch them right before I go to bed and if I see them, they run off and hide, my cresties are the same way and wait until I am gone also.

I handle all of my geckos minimally, they have all been held, and I can take all of them out without problems, but I don't sit with them on my lap while I am at the computer.

Leachies will also vocalize a lot more than chahoua, and let you know they don't want you to disturb them, I would say the majority of adult leachies I've met have vocalized or tried to bite while being taken out of enclosures. I have only witnessed a handful of chahoua that are actively defensive in a biting way.

They are really both very different in my opinion. My chahoua when held, will sit and then wander around, my leachies just sit there, frozen, like they are afraid although they may not be. But usually if anything happens and startles them, my leachies go leaping or bolting away.

As far as value goes, leachies and chahoua are far more difficult to breed than cresties. Cresties reproduce so well that we end up with a lot of cheap babies floating around. In contrast, leachianus and chahoua take longer to mature, lay fewer eggs per season, and have lower hatch rates overall than cresties. If they were just as successful at reproducing as cresties, they would be cheaper. I doubt breeders price their geckos based on characteristics resembling puppies.

Just like there are low end and high end cresties, there are low end and high end chahoua. How many red pinstripes are floating around? Not many... so we shouldn't expect every chahoua to end up with high white or amazing coloration. Or every leachianus to be high color and high blotch.

Honestly, I find my chahoua very 'personable' or rather as personable as they come as far as geckos are concerned. My leachies tend not to tolerate handling as much and are flightier but that by no means stops me from enjoying them. None of my geckos are like puppies, but that does not mean I don't enjoy them

Hope that helps!

Comment

I under stand that a herp isnt a puppy im not trying to get a gecko to come out and watch a movie with me but I also dont want to just look at it in its cage ether. I would like to take the gecko out some times so it has some freedom. I am not trying to breed ether of the species this will be a pet only. Would like less flighty and would like no aggresions. If I was to get a leachie it would be one of the islands group probably a nuu ana or nuu ami.
              Darren

Comment

Originally posted by sungmina View Post
                If they were just as successful at reproducing as cresties, they would be cheaper. I doubt breeders price their geckos based on characteristics resembling puppies.
                Haha! This. Good way of putting it!
                Dagan. Illumination Exotics Facebook. iHerp. Artwork.
                ~Illumination Exotics~

Comment

If you just want a pet, crested geckos can be handleable and much cheaper.

Comment

Have a crested and a garg
                    Darren

Comment

Chewies are overrated. They're not like a puppy where they're going to interact with you. I read all this stuff about them being personable, then got into them and realized all they do is sit around and do nothing.

Cork Screw,
                      Get a kitten, they do a lot!!
                      3.3.11. -R. ciliatus
                      1.1.0. -R. chahoua (mainland)
                      0.0.1. - R. chahoua (P.I.)
                      1.0.0. -R. auriculatus

Comment

Originally posted by dron2124 View Post
                        Have a crested and a garg
                        I realize that. I was just offering my opinion.

Either leachie or chahoua will be your choice. Both are expensive sit and watch pets. I like both. My leachies are more entertaining. I have one who loves to be out. My chahouas could care less, just like my cresteds. All geckos are different. You may get a chahoua who hates to be held or a leachie who loves it. Not all are the same

Comment

Chewies are overrated. They're not like a puppy where they're going to interact with you. I read all this stuff about them being personable, then got into them and realized all they do is sit around and do nothing. Their skin is less soft than a crestie, it feels like tape cloth, and their coloration isn't that spectacular unless you get a highly patterned individual with a lot of lichen coloration, those unfortunately are not the majority of the ones being offered. But they do have very prehensile tails. Probably one of the most overrated geckos imo. If I did not know any better, I would assume the crested would be worth more and the chahoua would be a $50 gecko. Who knew they're $350-500.
                          If yours had skin that felt like tape cloth then you were not keeping it right. The skin should be as soft as cresteds and in babies softer than cresteds. Maybe that's why yours were never in a good mood. Try wearing a tight pair of jeans 24/7 that will make me cranky for certain!

I have to agree to what was said earlier if you want a puppy, buy a puppy. You cannot fairly compare these two!
                          That being said I have an adult male who always comes to the front of the cage and watches me until I take him out for a while, he continues to do this even now that he is paired up with a mate. I also have another male that will hang out on my shoulder as long as I want. With well over 20 chahouas I do not think they are over-rated but hey, go ahead and feel that way spread the word around in fact. That will leave more for the people who appreciate these wonderful creatures as the best rhac out there!!
                          Specializing in R. Chahoua

Comment

Originally posted by dron2124 View Post
                            I under stand that a herp isnt a puppy im not trying to get a gecko to come out and watch a movie with me but I also dont want to just look at it in its cage ether. I would like to take the gecko out some times so it has some freedom. I am not trying to breed ether of the species this will be a pet only. Would like less flighty and would like no aggresions. If I was to get a leachie it would be one of the islands group probably a nuu ana or nuu ami.
                            I have in fact watched a whole 2 hr movie with my boy Whimsey (chahoua) on my shoulder or chest.
                            Specializing in R. Chahoua

Comment

Every. Gecko. Is. Different.

You're always taking a chance on temperament when you purchase an animal you haven't previously met. My chahoua is a little 5g thing and, to me, she is the sun and the moon. I love her. I'll come right out and say that chahoua are my favorite rhacodactylus, not just because of my baby Mars, but because of a bunch of things.

I think that if you get a gecko young enough you can make it pretty personable. I.e. getting them used to being held, being touched, etc. They may not be rocket scientists, but they DO recognize a schedule, and they become accustomed to it. I'm not gonna say this works for ALL geckos, because sure, there are GOING to be territorial leachies, chewies, gargs and cresteds.

As far as your decision goes- RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH.

And then DON'T depend on US to make up your mind for you! Our opinions are not YOUR opinions! Pick what you like based on the conclusions YOU'VE come to

My .02
                              Last edited by MeganSandbox; 02-07-2011, 07:56 PM. Reason: typoooo! derp
                              3.3.11. -R. ciliatus
                              1.1.0. -R. chahoua (mainland)
                              0.0.1. - R. chahoua (P.I.)
                              1.0.0. -R. auriculatus

Comment

Working...
                              X