Other Acceptable Bugs for Chewies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other Acceptable Bugs for Chewies?

Hey all, I've searched this forum looking for some answers but I haven't come up with anything definitive. It looks like there might be a move in my future, and Florida does not allow B. dubia roaches.

Anyone have input on acceptable live feeders for Chahoua? I wish I could keep the dubias, and that was my plan originally, but I guess I cant do that now :/ I know my chahoua (Mars) LOVES her dubias, and I've never tried any other feeder bugs with her. What do you guys use, if anything, besides dubias?
    3.3.11. -R. ciliatus
    1.1.0. -R. chahoua (mainland)
    0.0.1. - R. chahoua (P.I.)
    1.0.0. -R. auriculatus

Crickets, obviously. Wax worms, butter worms and horn worms in moderation as well.
    Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Comment

So not doing crickets- evil little stinky things.

Thank you. I wish I could keep the dubias, I like them so much better than any of the other bugs I've tired with leos/cresteds.

Maybe I didn't use the right keywords or something but I really couldn't find anything! Time to start researching up, I guess!
      3.3.11. -R. ciliatus
      1.0.0. -R. auriculatus

Comment

If roaches are illegal then you don't have much choice other than crickets, even if they are smelly or evil. These guys need bugs and are not like a leo or some other gecko species that can survive happily on meal or super worms. I don't think any worm species could sustain a Chahoua for a long period of time as a staple. Maybe Phoenix worms but not one of mine will touch one of those.
        Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Comment

Originally posted by MPLexus301 View Post
          If roaches are illegal then you don't have much choice other than crickets, even if they are smelly or evil. These guys need bugs and are not like a leo or some other gecko species that can survive happily on meal or super worms. I don't think any worm species could sustain a Chahoua for a long period of time as a staple. Maybe Phoenix worms but not one of mine will touch one of those.
          Oh, I know. I researched for a while before I got my first chahoua, and I thought that I would be fine to sustain my kiddo on dubias. Plans have changed, and I was seeing what other kinds of bugs were acceptable. I'm obviously going to look into the options you've stated and do some more of my own research as well. The move isn't for a while, I was just trying to see what other people were successful with.

I'll probably look into a small amount of a few of the bugs and see if she has any interest in them, if not, I'll keep looking.

Thanks again for your input!
          3.3.11. -R. ciliatus
          1.0.0. -R. auriculatus

Comment

My bigger chahoua absolutely loves those goliath worms (the blue things that grow liek weeds). When i buy them for my chameleon i take the smaller ones and give them to her and she goes nuts for them. They are def more of a treat and expensive tho. They definately love there dubias way more tho.
            1.1 R. L. Leachianus - MT. Koghis (Troeger)
            1.0 R. L. Leachianus - Riviere Bleue
            1.0 R. L. Leachianus - GT Type B
            1.0 R. L. Leachianus - GTX Type B x Pine Isle
            0.1 R. L. Henkeli - Pine Isle
            0.1 R. L. Henkeli - Pine Isle X Nuu Ana
            1.1 R. Chahoua - Pine Isle
            1.0 R. Ariculatus - Striped
            1.0 Blue Heeler - Jack
            0.1 Boxer - Bella

Comment

Originally posted by Redness S4TT View Post
              My bigger chahoua absolutely loves those goliath worms (the blue things that grow liek weeds). When i buy them for my chameleon i take the smaller ones and give them to her and she goes nuts for them. They are def more of a treat and expensive tho. They definately love there dubias way more tho.
              Yeah, dont I wish I could keep the dubias ): I'm gonna buy some phoenix worms as soon as it warms up a bit see if she might take them.
              3.3.11. -R. ciliatus
              1.0.0. -R. auriculatus

Comment

Tongs feed anything that doesn't move alot and once they get the taste, they'll eat em out of a bowl. That's what I did with waxworms. They didn't show much interest at all in them in dishes, but off the tongs the wiggle like mad (I usually held mine by the head) and the chahoua all made these "WHAT? HUH? FOOD?" faces it was adorable.

Note about that though don't waggle your fingers infront of your chewies the next night after hand feeding, or they think those fingers are just large treats

I would suggest just buying crickets instead of raising them yourself. They are nasty but if thats all you got, go with it. I'd skip mealies because the keratin is actually at a higher content when they are smaller (makes sense, its to protect them and all) so the babies are actually tougher to digest than the big ones.

I've done dubia, crickets and wax worms with my chahoua. Wax worms are fattier so not a good staple, but I think a day or two a month with a couple offered isn't bad. I was giving the kids 4-6 small ones, and the adults 6-8 appropriately sized worms per day so nothing too extravagant. Chahoua are so bug oriented I wouldn't worry about "spoiling" them on the waxies either. I did a mixed dish for Sokka the other day, of my last dubia and a wax worm or two, and she cleaned that dish of both species of bug

I've also heard silk worms are a good feeder. I plan to pick up some phoenix worms at a show this spring myself to try on the chewies.
                Meg
                THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
                on facebook

Comment

You could try earthworms? Also, you could capture "local" roaches and breed as feeders. I think it's only illegal to bring them from out of state.

You could try whole fish or other feeders from the aquarium section, and blend them up... Bass-o-Matic! Mix it into their CGD.
                  Specializing in Crested Geckos
                  Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
                  Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
                  Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

if im not mistaken there are a few breeds of roaches that are able to be shipped to florida. The dubia thing is y i got read of my bearded to expensive to keep buying 100 crickets a day. Petsmart loved me though for it.
                    Darren

Comment

I haven't done a LOT of research on what is a-okay for Florida yet and what isn't, so I'm looking into that now. Whew, though! It is a LOT of reading! As soon as I saw the 'no dubias' thing I had a "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!" moment. I love my dubias. I actually love them.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for all the advice and suggestions! I'm going to look into everything I can so I can get Mars ON some type of bug before the move, that way I wont have to worry about a hunger strike. I'll have to look and see if there are some other roaches, as mentioned, that are okay to Florida, and even if the kids will eat 'em!

Ah well, I'd rather be safe than sorry!
                      3.3.11. -R. ciliatus
                      1.0.0. -R. auriculatus

Comment

sssshhhhhhh . . . just dont realease them and no one will know
                        www.emilymaple.com

Comment

just read a story about two weeks ago about a guy getting arrested for importing dubias from California into Orlando he got some serious jail time.
                          Darren

Comment

XD I read the same story.

I wish I could keep them, but I dont know how I'd do it! And I REALLY would like to not go to jail XD
                            3.3.11. -R. ciliatus
                            1.0.0. -R. auriculatus

Comment

Understand.
                              Specializing in R. Chahoua

Comment

Working...
                              X