My first ever chahoua (x3)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first ever chahoua (x3)!

It's been a very exciting week this week as I picked up my first ever chahoua and have ended the week with three as planned!

First up is a PI from The Gex Files in Holland, collected at Hamm:

Second is another PI, this one from Dean Rudman in the UK, collected today!:

Third is a mainland baby from BG-Gecko in Holland:

Their camouflage amazes me!

Check out the little invisible mainland baby on the left side of this picture!

Finally I took a couple of group shots this afternoon, love these!

Can't wait to see how these change and develop in the coming months! Thanks for looking. :o)

Jonathan

B'aaaw! Too cute! I have cork bark in my PI's cage too, and it always amazes me how well he disappears on it! Your little ones have some crazy cool eyes!

Comment

Great pick-ups! I especially like the pattern of that first one. Chewies are such great geckos--I'm sure you'll love 'em.

--John
      3.8.4 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
      3.8.1 Rhacodactylus chahoua 'Pine Isle'
      1 Big Dumb Yellow Lab

Jasper Sailfin Geckos on facebook

Comment

Like the mainland. Some of them have such color. It will be interesting to see how it grows up.

These guys are awesome.

Comment

So Cute! Ahhh I want one sooo bad!

Comment

aww i love the first group pic. too cute
            http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wicked...9667485?ref=hl

Comment

Great shots and awesome chewies! I love the ones of them on the cork bark!

Comment

So cute!

-Sunne-
                Life is like a lump of clay, you can mold it into any shape you want.

15.16.1,000,000 crested geckos. 2.7.2 gargoyle geckos. 1.0.0 leachie. 2 tiger salamanders. 1 spotted salamander. 2 marbled salamanders. 1 paddle-tailed newt. 2 mandarin newts. 1 Hermann's tortoise. 1 box turtle. 5 rats. 5 hedgehogs!

DFTBA!

Check out my rhacs on My iherp

Comment

Im just wondering but why are chewies so much more expensive than cresties and other rhac species

4.3.3.6-Crested Geckos
                  1.1-Bearded Dragons
                  1.1-Pitt Bulls
                  2.0-Fancy Rats
                  1.0-Mali Uromastyx

Comment

Great Looking Chewies you have there. The patterning looks to me distinct and different from what i see here in the US.

Originally posted by newlyson View Post
                    Im just wondering but why are chewies so much more expensive than cresties and other rhac species
                    Fecundity plays a part in high price imo, (fecundity = successful productiveness). Producing around three clutches a year seems to be the typical for most breeders. Also many of the eggs just never hatch or fail during the hatching process. Aside from this low productivity, people (including me) really seem to like the colorful pattern and typically docile personality. Quite a few of my chewies are docile enough to sit patiently on a little stand i have next to my work desk.
                    2.3.10 R.ciliatus
                    2.2.0 R.auriculatus
                    4.4.1 R.sarasinorum
                    8.10.3 R.chahoua (PI)
                    1.2.0 R.chahoua (GT)

www.JollyGreenGecko.com

Comment

AWWW!!!!! CONGRATS!!! They are adorable!!!
                      Specializing in R. Chahoua

Comment

Very cute babies! Congrats!!!
                        Crestopia Reptiles
                        http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Comment

Thanks for all your kind comments guys! To say I'm delighted with them would be a huge understatement! As for the cost question, they're kept by a relatively small number of people (certainly here in the UK anyway) compared to cresties, so I guess people are more willing to pay more for them when they do become available.

If cresties weren't bred in such HUGE numbers these days I'm sure the price would still be much higher for them too, I remember when I bought my first ones I was prepared to pay a pretty high price relative to what they go for today!

I sold a LOT of baby cresties to fund the purchase of these three, but I'm already thinking it was well worth it. Next year's plan - sell even more cresties and buy my first leachianus (or two, or three)...

Comment

Congrats on the nice chahoua! Glad you like them!
                            The Gex Files.nl - Geckos Of Oceania And More

Our Facebook Page

Comment

I sure do Debbie, especially of course the lovely PI from a certain Netherlands-based breeder!! I'm very hopeful that 2011 will be the year when I obtain my first leachianus (or two, three etc.), and I'd be delighted if one or more of those came from you guys too!

Comment

Working...
                              X