The Chewie Wishlist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Chewie Wishlist

Just trying to see what people think is important to have prior to bringing home a chewie. Housing Decor specifically.

What are some things that you know you couldn't have your chewie live without?

Anything you learned you needed after bringing one home?

I hear cork bark is huge with these guys. Truth?

Anyone do anything special for their juvie setups? (TP roll tubes, egg carton, etc?)

What would you say the percentage of climbing stuff to cover (foliage etc.) is?
    Rosario's Reptiles: Project Creamy Things...target 2012 season
    3.8 Ciliatus, 1.2 Guttata, and 1.2 Felis Catus.

Cork bark for sure!! I like putting a little foliage on the ground for babies as well as a piece of cork. I also have a little rock in each cage for the babies. They seem to like laying on it. And it may help with the frequent shedding that young ones do.
    I don't care for paper towel rolls or tp rolls because of the glue they use. From what I have read it is nasty!
    Once a baby gets about 6 or 7 grams I think they start liking to lay out on sticks.
    Specializing in R. Chahoua

Comment

I use a lot of cork bark and it is pretty well liked from what i can tell. I include cork bark in all their setups. Flats and hollows both seem to be well liked, however if you ever want to get them out for weighing or checking on them the hollows are kind of a pain unless its huge and you can get your hand in. I don't know if cork bark is an absolute must, i have two adults that strongly prefer a plastic zoomed cave to the XL cork back hollow right next to it. I also see the chewies utilizing branches, vines and magnetic ledges pretty often also. Sometimes i even spot them on the ground just sitting there in the open. I guess my opinion is a lot could work and is probably worth trying.
      2.3.10 R.ciliatus
      2.2.0 R.auriculatus
      4.4.1 R.sarasinorum
      8.10.3 R.chahoua (PI)
      1.2.0 R.chahoua (GT)

www.JollyGreenGecko.com

Comment

Wondering the same things here- thanks for making this
        3.3.? Cresteds- Luther, Murdoch, Io, Lozen, Bessie, Bennett & babies

2.0.0 Cats- Batman, Mu

iHerp profile

Comment

I should add that I have noticed mine like different things based on how old they are. Even though I have cork bark in all the cages I find that as they get older they much prefer laying out of the sticks. Maybe they get more confident.
          Also remember that I have the Barrs cages so they can only see out of the front. Seeley will come down to the bottom and look out the front when I am in the room doing chores.
          I always use cork for babies because they really seem to use it. I have seen them many times where their pattern seems to line up with the cork perfectly!

Comment

Originally posted by laura View Post
            I always use cork for babies because they really seem to use it. I have seen them many times where their pattern seems to line up with the cork perfectly!

Wow! That's crazy! Thanks for posting those pics.

Comment

Nimz likes to hang out on the fake plants in his kritter keeper. Tag likes the cardboard cup holders; otherwise he just hangs out on the ground.

Comment

My Sherwood didn't like the corkbark I put in, so I put his little tree trunk hide back in (its a large fish tank decoration that he curls up in and sleeps on the floor.)
                Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Comment

OK so all in all, they need some solid climbing surfaces (cork bark/other decor), a vine or two, and go light on the foliage/cover?

Comment

That's it!

Comment

I use Cork bark in all of my enclosures as well, and I have climbing vines and foliage. I too find that they use primarily the cork bark when they are babies, and as they grow they begin to lay out in the open/lay on vines in the open/etc.

Call me crazy, but they blend in so well with the cork bark when they are babies, that I sometimes believe it is how you would find them in the wild. A lot of the time I find myself having to look twice or three times because they blend so well LOL!!!
                      Last edited by StickyFeet.; 11-09-2010, 04:31 PM. Reason: Spelling fail.
                      http://thegeckotree.com/ - Health, Colour, Structure Visit us today! (:
                      Follow on Facebook facebook.com/TheGeckoTree
                      Gargoyle Geckos -Crested Geckos - Leachianus - Chahoua - Tarantulas - Nephrurus - African Fat Tails

Comment

Working...
                      X