Czech Republic imports PI babies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Czech Republic imports PI babies

Colors look darker in the pics but they are both under 6 grams. I am super excited to have some import bloodlines for my PI Plus another baby from Leapin Leachies
    Baby #1 import

baby #2 import

This one is from Steve C. baby#3
    Specializing in R. Chahoua

Congrats on the new bloodlines...that is really great!! With these guys, the troegers, and our F2 babies, you have added some great new blood this year!
    Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Comment

Originally posted by MPLexus301 View Post
      Congrats on the new bloodlines...that is really great!! With these guys, the troegers, and our F2 babies, you have added some great new blood this year!
      I know, I am super excited! I really feel I am rounding out my breeding group. I think I am done for the year though....well..maybe.

Comment

Congrats! They look great!
        The Gex Files.nl - Geckos Of Oceania And More

Our Facebook Page

Comment

I am thinking these Czech animals are Mainland, I have animals from the same shipment, and I can see they have a very short snout and look more like a mainland animal than my PI animals.

Either way, both locales could use some fresher bloodlines.
          Derek Dunlop
          DDReptiles
          www.DDReptiles.net
          Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Comment

Great additions!
            Crested Geckos
            Ball Pythons
            African Fat Tails

www.Geckodelic.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Geckod...34486576627889

Comment

I like baby number 1, but all are neat.

Comment

Originally posted by DDReptiles View Post
                I am thinking these Czech animals are Mainland, I have animals from the same shipment, and I can see they have a very short snout and look more like a mainland animal than my PI animals.

Either way, both locales could use some fresher bloodlines.
                Well he is getting me the paperwork and guaranteeing that they are PI so I hope you are wrong. Also if you will notice the snout looks the same length on the last baby as the first two and that baby is PI from Steve C. I think it is very hard to tell baby mainlands from PI at this small hatchling stage you have to trust the source you are buying from that's for sure.

Comment

Very pretty for sure! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

They look nice...Boone?

Comment

Originally posted by laura View Post
                      Well he is getting me the paperwork .
                      There is no paperwork LOL, they are from Czech Republic. The whole reason they come out of there is that they don't enforce any international wildlife law.

What's the paperwork going to say "These animals are the result of illegally smuggled animals out of New Caledonia"

Who knows maybe they are PI, chahouas are so inbred by now maybe these animals are what they should look like. I am just basing what I have said on the animals I currently keep and the descriptions I read in the literature. To my knowledge there isn't any detectable genetic difference between either locale.
                      Derek Dunlop
                      DDReptiles
                      www.DDReptiles.net
                      Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Comment

Originally posted by MaxB22 View Post
                        They look nice...Boone?
                        Through me, but yes, from Boone to me.
                        If I don't reply, PM me, I must have forgotten about the thread.

Comment

Derek, I respect you as a breeder and as a keeper, but I've been breeding reptiles longer. Athan you've been alive, and Boone has been doing geckos longer than that. I would never misrepresent an animal, or say I was sure when I wasn't. I 100% believe in Jon the same way. So I wonder whose integrity you're bringing in to question. Maybe you should clarify that before we continue.

Derek is 100% correct that chahoua are most likely inbred, and that the o
                          nly difference s
                          Are cosmetic. They're also not Rhacodactylus, but since whendo hobbyists care about science?
                          If I don't reply, PM me, I must have forgotten about the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by DDReptiles View Post
                            Who knows maybe they are PI, chahouas are so inbred by now maybe these animals are what they should look like. I am just basing what I have said on the animals I currently keep and the descriptions I read in the literature. To my knowledge there isn't any detectable genetic difference between either locale.
                            First, I hope the sarcasm that came across is not what you intended and I'm going to assume it wasn't.

Based on your comments, I think that it would be hard to distinguish any locale unless they were F1s and you personally saw the wildcaught parents. As I said, I think it's important to know the source of where your animals are coming from and trust the people you are purchasing them from.

As far as differences in babies, I think even the most experienced breeder would have a difficult time distinguishing mainland from PI unless it is a white collar or a high-red and even then there are examples in both locales.

The amount of chahoua that I have in my collection makes me confident that as these hatchlings grow I will have a better idea based on length and weight as to their true locale. I am confident that the person I bought them from who guaranteed them as PI will in fact stand behind his word.

I'm also a bit confused by seemingly conflicting statements. On one hand the statement that these could be mainlands. On the other hand there is no detectable genetic difference. Part of genetics is appearance. While I respect you as someone who has a lot of knowledge about quite a few different species. I have to go on record saying I believe it is almost impossible (except in a few color, patterns) to say from a picture what locale these are. Correct me if I am wrong but your statement about how inbred they are would seem to mean that you think there are no pure locales out there. And if that is the case why would you say on your website that you are currently working with both locales. Why differentiate at all if these are your beliefs? This is said with no sarcasm at all, I am truly interested in your opinion on this.

I have looked at really old posts about chahoua on other forums and at one time people just seemed to call them chahoua with no locale given. When asked most of the time they said they didn't know. So I appreciate that there are many animals paired out there in the infancy of breeding that may have not been pure locales to begin with. Sometimes there are clear indicators of what we have come to know as traits to both locales. But I have also seen these lines blur such as larger more colorful GT's and smaller PI.
                            Last edited by laura; 10-18-2010, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Seems the conversation is getting a bit hot. This is just a friendly reminder to keep it nice please.
                              Sarah & Jake
                              LunarGecko.net
                              Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
                              You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Comment

Working...
                              X