Chahoua vs. Crested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chahoua vs. Crested

I'm pretty bent on getting a crested gecko - did tons of research and everything. But I never really looked into the chahoua geckos, for some reason, and now I'm beginning to hear that they're more "personable" and "friendly" than ciliatus.

Is that true? And are their keeping requirements different from Cresteds?

Thanks!
    Current Roommates -
    1.2.1 African Dwarf Frogs
    1.0.0 Betta Splendens

I find behavior usually friendlier than cresties, but some Chahoua males show territorial aggression (they'll bite you if you mess with their turf). The short list of different care requirement seem to be an increased need for calcium, humidity, and live feeders. Chewies get bigger also so a bigger enclosure is better.
    2.3.10 R.ciliatus
    2.2.0 R.auriculatus
    4.4.1 R.sarasinorum
    8.10.3 R.chahoua (PI)
    1.2.0 R.chahoua (GT)

www.JollyGreenGecko.com

Comment

I keep mine pretty much the same as my cresteds. However, I am big into lots of room and naturalistic vivaria. Based on observations from keeping them this way I can say chahoua's definitely need lots of branches, and will need more room as a minimum than cresteds as they are larger. I can't say about the humidity thing, i've heard that getting tossed around a lot, but I keep all my rhacs the same and do not have humidity related issues with any of them.
      Chahouas are different in that they definitely need more calcium, especially breeding females, some males can indeed be very cage aggressive as Andrew said, and they seem to require higher amounts of protein than cresteds to grow well.
      My personal preferences towards chahoua have to do with their patterns, body shape, prehensile tail, and (when you have a calm individual) their calm behavior when handled. But that's just me
      Rhachic
      www.goodlifeherps.weebly.com
      specializing in rhacodactylus

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewLiu View Post
        I find behavior usually friendlier than cresties, but some Chahoua males show territorial aggression (they'll bite you if you mess with their turf). The short list of different care requirement seem to be an increased need for calcium, humidity, and live feeders. Chewies get bigger also so a bigger enclosure is better.
        I agree with Andrew, I do feel they need more humidity, I do have mine on paper towels and not in planted vivs so I think this makes a difference.
        I also think their prey drive is a good indicator that they actually require bugs more frequently (roaches prefered over crickets) imo.
        Specializing in R. Chahoua

Comment

Originally posted by laura View Post
          I agree with Andrew, I do feel they need more humidity, I do have mine on paper towels and not in planted vivs so I think this makes a difference.
          I also think their prey drive is a good indicator that they actually require bugs more frequently (roaches prefered over crickets) imo.
          Good point on the substrate issue, if you keep them on paper towels or turf i'd go with andrew and laura's suggestions. I keep mine in naturalistic vivaria so that's probably the key difference with the humidity.
          @ laura-what kinds of roaches do you feed? some of mine will not eat dubia for me but they all devour crickets.
          Rhachic
          www.goodlifeherps.weebly.com
          specializing in rhacodactylus

Comment

Thanks, guys.

When you say bigger enclosure, how much bigger? I'll have limited space, so that's one of the things that drew me to cresteds - they can fit in a 20 gallon tall.
            Current Roommates -
            1.0.0 Betta Splendens

Comment

IMO 35 gallon plus for chewies.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhachic View Post
                Good point on the substrate issue, if you keep them on paper towels or turf i'd go with andrew and laura's suggestions. I keep mine in naturalistic vivaria so that's probably the key difference with the humidity.
                @ laura-what kinds of roaches do you feed? some of mine will not eat dubia for me but they all devour crickets.
                The dubia is what I feed. I thought about trying one of the faster kind as well but I have not gotten around to it.
                I just tried hornworms for the first time, most of them loved it though a few didn't touch it.
                I do like to try and vary it up as much as I can. I just have a serious hatred of crickets! I have one adult pair of GT's that would not switch to the roaches so I was having to buy crixs just for them but I think I finally have them switched over. I started putting the white (freshly shed) roaches in a cup and they would eat them. They also would eat wax worms out of the cup, so now I am putting two white and a regular and they are eating them so hopefully soon they will be completely on roaches and I won't ever have to buy crickets again!
                Specializing in R. Chahoua

Comment

Originally posted by tiedyegecko View Post
                  IMO 35 gallon plus for chewies.
                  35 Gallons +?

Isn't that a little much? I keep adults in 29 Gallon "tall" aquariums and they almost seem lost in there with all the room. I plan to keep pairs in these same tanks, and think it is plenty of room.

Yes, 35+Gallons would be great, but I certainly wouldn't consider it a necessity.
                  Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Comment

Be aware that the cost difference is quite a bit for Chewie's.
                    Craig
                    1.3.20 Crested Geckos 1.1 Honduran Milksnake
                    1.1 Gargoyle 1.1 Leopard Geckos
                    1.1 Leachies 2.1 W. Hognose Snake

Comment

Originally posted by MPLexus301 View Post
                      35 Gallons +?

Isn't that a little much? I keep adults in 29 Gallon "tall" aquariums and they almost seem lost in there with all the room. I plan to keep pairs in these same tanks, and think it is plenty of room.

Yes, 35+Gallons would be great, but I certainly wouldn't consider it a necessity.
                      I keep mine in a 35 gallon tank and he dosen't seem lost at all. He's 59 grams right now. I guess a 29 would work if it wasn't a natural setup.

Comment

Yeah, I was just looking at the prices... no way that's going to work out.

Thanks for the info, guys. Maybe when I get a better job I can save up for a chewie.
                        Current Roommates -
                        1.0.0 Betta Splendens

Comment

Working...
                        X