No announcement yet.

Underbites: Lies, Fairytales and Baby Food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont assume all people who feed baby food produce bad animals, but in the case of some people, they do take the time to doctor it up to make it more nutritional, other then just taking banana baby food and calcium. But like I said her issues are across the board, it isnt one specific rhac species that has an issue, so I think for in this womans case, it does lead back to diet and possibly lighting, but I do know she has strip lights over all of her chewies cages, she however doesnt have it over the cresteds, gargs or leaches. And I dont know if that light is UVB or if it is just a white light.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Comment

Originally posted by thongwedgie View Post
      I dont assume all people who feed baby food produce bad animals, but in the case of some people, they do take the time to doctor it up to make it more nutritional, other then just taking banana baby food and calcium. But like I said her issues are across the board, it isnt one specific rhac species that has an issue, so I think for in this womans case, it does lead back to diet and possibly lighting, but I do know she has strip lights over all of her chewies cages, she however doesnt have it over the cresteds, gargs or leaches. And I dont know if that light is UVB or if it is just a white light.
      I understand, im just saying i don't think it's the baby food part, i think the real issue is most likely what she is providing them with to process any calcium she does give them. Definitely mention looking into UVB lighting to her, if not at least making sure she grabs the calcium bottle that says +D3 for the animals without lighting. It would be interesting to know if that helps her situation or not.
      Rhachic
      www.goodlifeherps.weebly.com
      specializing in rhacodactylus

Comment

maybe durring one of my breaks here, like winter break or something, I can take another drive down there and talk more with her on it. She is only a 30 min south drive from me, and I need to hunt for some other species a pangean asked me to check out of hers as they may be interested in buying, but right now with classes I dont have the time too. And although I can suggest things, I dont know if she really considers my suggestions to be good ones (you know how some people are, they feel they have more animals then you, they know more, not always the case). But I would love to see her make some changes to how to cares for them, I hate going in there to see dirty cages, the baby food and crickets running amuck.

Are there any seriously good detailed chewie caresheets for them? Maybe if I have that on hand, then print out the bug nutritional content maybe try to give her the information in her hand (or leave it on her desk), maybe she will look it over and reconsider. But I dont really feel I have the right to be all like "chewies should be done this way!!!!" when the truth of the matter is I dont even have one at this present moment.
        lets just say I have a lot of stuff
        www.sublimereptiles.com
        Facebook
        BOI

Comment

I've been using a screen cage and sunning the chewies for an hour or two twice a week when its not too hot. Hard to say if i notice a difference as i feed cgd and ICB dusted bugs. Anyone know if there is any confirmed data on Rhacodactylus using UVB do make D3?
          2.3.10 R.ciliatus
          2.2.0 R.auriculatus
          4.4.1 R.sarasinorum
          8.10.3 R.chahoua (PI)
          1.2.0 R.chahoua (GT)

www.JollyGreenGecko.com

Comment

^I think the whole argument of UVB and D3 in Rhacs in general is still an ongoing debate. I do wish we knew more.
            Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Comment

I don't think there has been a serum study of D3 on rhacodactylus yet, it still seems to be a grey area. There are few species of reptiles that have been documented to not be able to utilize ingested D3, but I have not seen anything reporting that UVB does not cause synthesis of D3 in the body. Despite all of the if's and open questions regarding D3 and UVB I think it is important to offer it to the animals but also offer them shade to hide from it if they choose. Chameleons in particular have been shown to regulate their own intake of UVB by basking directly under the lights and then hiding in the shade. They are actually self-regulating their own D3 levels based on their own perceived need. This ability makes it much easier for a keeper to ensure that their animals are in fact getting what they need and are not being OD'd on dietary D3, or even under supplemented because they are a species that cannot process the dietary D3 anyway. Though it would seem for rhacodactylus that it has at least been determined that they must process ingested D3, hence it being offered in their foods and not being required to offer UV lighting.
              This is an interesting report on UVB and UVA and documented results of different reptile species with different bulbs.
              http://www.anapsid.org/gehrman2.html
              Rhachic
              www.goodlifeherps.weebly.com
              specializing in rhacodactylus

Comment

I think the real issue here is the comparison between diurnal and nocturnal animals which is bound to be very different.
                For example in my opinion it's a waste to put daylight bulbs on cresteds or leachies as they are always hiding during the day and therefore wouldn't be in the light to absorb it. Chahouas...I'm not sure as on any given day any number of mine will be stretched out on a stick in plain veiw. That being said if they are stretched out on a limb high up in a tree how covered are they by leaves and other branches?
                Specializing in R. Chahoua

Comment

Working...
                X