Post lay problems? Expand please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post lay problems? Expand please!

I was just reading another post on a new "rescuecal" supplement being offered by Rapashy. I do not currently own a chahoau but am considering getting one. In the thread they mentioned this product would probably be helpful for Chewies for dealing with "post lay problems". Could someone explain this to me in more detail?

Thanks,
    Eric
    1.2.7.4 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1.0 Phelsuma laticauda

Chahoua lay large, highly calcified eggs that take a lot out of the female. That is why such a product could be useful. It is advisable to wait MUCH longer (18-30 months) before breeding the females, though they aren't slow growers.

Comment

All my females will be atleast 2 yrs old before they are paired up. But even when they are old enough the egg laying process really uses up their reserves, much more so than with cresteds.
      Specializing in R. Chahoua

Comment

What do you normally do pre and post laying to deal with this?
        Eric
        1.0 Phelsuma laticauda

Comment

Hello,
          Chewie eggs, like previously stated, are very large and very highly calcified, sometimes so highly calcified that the babies can't even break their way out.

During the breeding season, my chewies are fed A LOT and they eat A LOT. I do heavily dusted crickets about twice a week, and CGD every other day. However when I feed CGD I do about 40%CGD, 30% Calcium, and 30% water. So my female is getting much extra calcium when I feed her CGD. I make the chahoua CGD seperatly than the crested CGD, although crested breeders also get extra calcium. They also get this in the winter, however I find that they don't eat as much in the winter as it is colder.

After she lays, prepare to be looking at a much thinner lizard. Before laying my female is tipping the scales at around 70 grams, but when she lays she looses 8-10 grams every time. You need to do a lot of feeding at that point to try to get everything back into her that she lost. The end of the tail will sometimes develop kinks as well, but after about a week of feeding I find all the kinks are gone, and she has usually put about half of her weight back on.

You can try feeding pinkies after they lay too, to get some extra fat and calcium back into her body, however mine wouldn't take them when I tried, so I'm not sure if you'll have luck with that either.

Hope this helps,
          -Armen

Comment

Thanks for the help! I do not own one but if I do plan to breed then I would want to buy a breeding quality gecko - so I am trying to figure out about breeding before making a purchase. Thanks again!
            Eric
            1.0 Phelsuma laticauda

Comment

No problem . For sure do your reading on these guys before attempting to breed. They're not exactly like crested geckos when it comes to breeding, and they are quite a big investment.

Thanks,
              -Armen

Comment

Working...
              X