Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada is going to ban leachies and chewies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada is going to ban leachies and chewies

But not cresties or gargs. I just... don't even know what.

My city has proposed a new bylaw that severely restricts any of the herps owned in Winnipeg. Instead of banning species specific animals, they made an approved list, with 107 lizards on it. Cresties and Gargs are okay, even though they call cresties "Guichenot's Giant Gecko"

Long story short, I'm furious. I have been saving up for chewies for a while, and banning them through omittance seems... asinine.
    3.3.? Cresteds- Luther, Murdoch, Io, Lozen, Bessie, Bennett & babies

2.0.0 Cats- Batman, Mu

iHerp profile

A link or two would help your argument.
    3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

Is this just a proposal or is this actually happening?
      If they are indeed going to pass this bill then you should maybe write up a petition and get every Reptile lover you know to sign it.

1.1.0 Leopard Gecko- Gaia and Atia, 1.1.0 African Fat-tailed Geckos- Bubblegum and Draco, 1.1.1 Crested Geckos- Enya, Dimitri, and Ice, 0.0.1 Bearded Dragon- Bracken

Comment

http://www.winnipeg.ca/CLKDMIS/ViewD...onId=&InitUrl=

Page 30-34 are the approved list.

It's going to council Monday. I've already contacted news outlets and there is a petition.

2.0.0 Cats- Batman, Mu

iHerp profile

Comment

Good because that's kind of ridiculous. Do you know their reasons for wanting to ban Leachies and Chewies by omitting them from the allowed species list? That's a bit silly to me..
          Usually people only try and get Reptiles banned that they view as dangerous or that are local wildlife that they don't want people catching to keep as pets.

1.1.0 Leopard Gecko- Gaia and Atia, 1.1.0 African Fat-tailed Geckos- Bubblegum and Draco, 1.1.1 Crested Geckos- Enya, Dimitri, and Ice, 0.0.1 Bearded Dragon- Bracken

Comment

Lack of knowledge on the subject? I honestly don't know. They aren't big in my area, so I think it was just animals with good publicists that made the cut.

Whatever it is, I have every intention of owning chewies in the future, and I'll move if I have to.

2.0.0 Cats- Batman, Mu

iHerp profile

Comment

Maybe they just don't think it's a big deal to omit species that aren't as popular? If they aren't on a banned list though then that's kind of a loop hole...
              I would go crazy if I couldn't own a Chewie or Leachie, they are on my to-get list, lol.

Comment

Basically if they aren't on the allowed list, they will be illegal. It's the most ridiculous thing ever.

2.0.0 Cats- Batman, Mu

iHerp profile

Comment

Stupid! Start packing your bags.

Comment

Already told the boyfriend if it happens, we're moving to Ontario.

2.0.0 Cats- Batman, Mu

iHerp profile

Comment

So if this bill passes, does that mean anyone who currently owns a chewie or leachie is supposed to surrender it? On what grounds, simply because it's not on the approved list, even though it poses no more of a threat than anything else on the list? I'm glad you've contacted the news and there's a petitition going. That's ridiculous. I'd move as well.

Although considering they can't even label some of their reptiles correctly, I doubt they could positively identify a chewie or leachie if they even saw one.
                      ~Cassi

www.facebook.com/NaturesAuraPhotography

Comment

If the bill passes you have 90 days to register it. You can still keep it, you just can't get more (I assume that includes breeding).

I firmly believe it is because they aren't super common, they didn't make the list. Which is infuriating, because I wanted to get myself a pair of chewies as a graduation gift to me.

2.0.0 Cats- Batman, Mu

iHerp profile

Comment

No kidding! Or Alberta? :P

Comment

You're always welcome here in Ontario. Hopefully its not a taste of things to come and doesn't become more widespread...
                            Brandon Terry <<crested gecko 0.0.2>>

Comment

thank god its not BC, i would move if i were you if this passes! brutal and stupid like c'mon
                              Correlophus ciliatus x5 (Bella, mango, tiny, butterscotch and daisy, and yes daisy is a boy)

Mniargekko Chahoua x1 (Java chip)

Rhombodera stalli x5

Comment

Working...
                              X