Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Worried

Hey everyone,
    Today my male corn snake Sam woke me up at 7 AM. I heard a loud noise, and first assumed it was my leopard gecko hunting for crickets. It turned out it was Sam completely freaking out in his cage. He kept hitting his head on the screen lid as if he were almost trying to get out, and he splashed his water everywhere as he raced around his cage. I have never seen him do this before; he is usually a rather lazy snake, and spends most of his time sleeping. Nothing is different in his cage, and I just fed him a F/T mouse last night. I am leaving today for a 4-day trip, and I'm really worried about him. Does this sound like parasites or something? I looked him over through the glass, and I didn't see anything visibly wrong with him. He was just breathing kinda heavily like he was tired/scared. The temps in his cage are fine/haven't changed, and after all of this he seemed to calm down and he went into his warm hide. I would appreciate any input. Thanks so much!

Is he about to shed? What size mouse did you feed him?

3.0 Crested Geckos *Moe*Kami*Piper*
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]0.1 Gargoyle Gecko *Nexus*[/COLOR
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa *Incus*
    0.1 Sphynx Outcross x American Curl Cat *Kura*
    1.0 Tabby Cat *Shorty*

Comment

I don't think he's about to shed, and even if he was, he's never acted like that before. He's still crawling around his cage now, but he's not doing it frantically anymore. I fed him an adult mouse, same as always. These mice I have frozen are a little fatter than usual, but this is the 3rd one I've fed him, and he didn't act weird with the first 2. Would any internal parasites the mice have be killed if they were frozen for a long time?

Comment

There are several reasons a snake would be exhibiting that type of behavior, if you are worried that your snake may have parasites, take a fecal sample to the vet to be tested, Parasites and protozoans in snakes can be very malicious, and do alot of damage to your reptile.

Also could be a digestion issue, do you have belly heat for the animal to digest? if so what is the temp, most snakes require 86+ degrees to digest their food correctly, and efficiantly. Unless you have a low metabolisim snake, but that is not the case here as you have a corn snake.

You check for mites?
        Ticks?
        Are the scales raised on the snake? any pepper like substance on it?

Please feed me more info.
        Thanks,
        Jason - Owner J & M Exotics / JM Geckos
        J & M Exotics / JM Geckos Home Page
        PanDaemonAe0n - AIM
        JMExotics@gmail.com

Comment

The surface temp on the warm side is about 80 F, but if he burrows under the aspen/pushes it aside it is in the high 80+. However, even when digesting, he seems to prefer the cool side which is at room temp, in the 70s. I tested the temps with a temp. gun which I've heard are pretty accurate. I just took him out and looked him over, and there are no signs of anything. His scales are smooth, flat, and shiney. He does seem to digest his food slower than the other corn snakes I've had in the past, but I haven't noticed any problems from it. He still eats like a pig. He has only been ill once with a respiratory infection, which was a year or more ago. I'm wondering if he just has a naturally lower immune system or something. None of my other snakes have had any sort of problem. I think I might collect a fecal sample from him when I get back from my trip...I leave in about an hour. I hope he's alright. =( He's not freaking out anymore, he's just slithering around his tank now at a normal/slow pace. On most days (when he wasn't in his 'breeding mode' looking for females), he hides and I hardly ever see him. He is pretty shy, but is the sweetest snake ever and has never bitten anyone, even when getting shots for his R.I. I'm not sure what else to write...he is housed in a 40 gallon breeder tank with 3 different hides, one on the hot, cool, and then one in the middle. He is housed on aspen bedding and has a water bowl big enough to where he could soak if he wanted. There is also a big climbing branch for him.

Comment

he could just be a little on the goofy side, and theres nothing wrong with him
            Jason - Owner J & M Exotics / JM Geckos
            J & M Exotics / JM Geckos Home Page
            PanDaemonAe0n - AIM
            JMExotics@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
            X