Solomon Island Ground Boa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solomon Island Ground Boa

Anyone else got one of these? He's my first snake (and first reptile). Many folks recommend them as starter snakes, which is a little funny as there's such a small amount of information on them out there.

He's a very smooth-tempered boa, right around two feet right now, and was readily feeding on live hoppers (no interest in F/T) until recently. I think the humidity in his new tank was too low, and I finally fixed it today so I will be offering another mouse tomorrow.

He's always a little skittish, but I typically handle him at least once a week and he seems to tolerate it well enough. He's grown several inches since I got him in late February.

According to O'Shea, his new name should be Paulson's Bevel-Nosed Boa, but I just call him Chew.
    Attached Files
    "Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground."

1.0 Solomon Island Ground Boa (Chew) | 0.1 California Kingsnake (Buffy) | 0.0.1 Gargoyle Gecko (Cirocco) | 1.0 Betta Veil-Tail (Musashi)

The Photographer | The Artist (aka the nutjob)

Awesome picture. I worked with one of these guys once at one of my jobs. Actually, I liked him so much I almost bought him. They are so calm, and I love their bellies. You don't see them much in the trade.
    Currently working with R. ciliatus

Comment

i only know of one other person owning one. he says the same things about it, not in high demand but a great animal. you should post up more pics :th_wink:
      -jULIE-
      forget zoo, i'm feeding a small army
      Black Ink Reptiles

Comment

Very cool head shot!
        Crestopia Reptiles
        http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Comment

Thanks, guys. He actually did have a mouse, but not since. He may just have grown enough to be fed only 3 times a month now, since his interest in mice appeared to be waning and then now he just won't eat that often. He's getting close to full size so I imagine that that's what it is.

He's a really cool snake to watch, he's pretty active at night and will explore every inch of the tank, even burrowing under the coco bark sometimes. I'd actually like to breed him but it's hard to find someone else with an SIGB locally.

I'll have to post more pics when I have time in the next few days, I'm heading for South Carolina tomorrow for a week.
          "Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground."

1.0 Solomon Island Ground Boa (Chew) | 0.1 California Kingsnake (Buffy) | 0.0.1 Gargoyle Gecko (Cirocco) | 1.0 Betta Veil-Tail (Musashi)

The Photographer | The Artist (aka the nutjob)

Comment

I had a male and a female last year but traded them for some other snakes. I really liked them but I wanted them to go to someone that wanted to breed them, as I did not. The female was just beautiful, and their temperament was good. The male could get aggressive though but I worked on him till he wasn't.
            Here are some pics of them:
            Female

Male
            ~Christa~
            Avalon Reptiles

" If all the beasts were gone man would die from loneliness of spirit... for whatever happens to the beast, happens to the man" -Chief Seattle-

Comment

Those are gorgeous!

And Freelancer, if you ever get into breeding them, let me know. I would possibly buy one from you They are such awesome snakes.
              Currently working with R. ciliatus

Comment

Working...
              X