ARRRG! sooo mad!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARRRG! sooo mad!

I just need to vent and also get advise from some other members of this forum, I had purchased a female pastel Ball at the Hamburg show, she seemed fine while I was holding her there and doing the once over, well once she gets home and is heated up she starts slight puffs of air, I squeeze her gently near the head and snot comes out of her nose, yep she has an RI, now she is opening her mouth and coughing, I have no chose but to take her to the vet, it does make me feel a little better that it will only be $40-$45 for the exan and then another $20 for the antibotics, but now I think she might have some mites in the cage with her, I DEFINATELY did not see any mites on her, but I have found two round bugs that I believe to be mites, none stuck on her from what I can see, but I am going to be soaking her and bleaching the tank every day, a little specs of what I am keeping her at, she is in a 10 gal tank, paper towel substrate, under tank pad running at 88.5 and a 50 watt light for some extra heat to help fight the infection, she is pooping, has not eatten yet but I have only had her a week, I hope she will be alright and I am also mad at the person who sold me her for she had to have been at substandard conditions to get an RI
    thanks,
    Brad

Rhacodactylus Ciliatus
    Rhacodactylus Auriculatus
    Rhacodactylus Leachianus (GTxisle E)

You should try to get a hold of this person for your money back or the vet bills paid, Sorry to hear this
    Crestopia Reptiles
    http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Comment

I am trying to find contact info online but have been unable thus far, if I see that guy at the next show I am going to give him a peice of my mind
      thanks,
      Brad

Rhacodactylus Ciliatus

Comment

Don't blame you!
        Crestopia Reptiles
        http://crestopiareptiles.webs.com/

8.20.34.43 Crested Geckos, 2.2.0.4 Gargoyle Geckos, 0.2.0 Leachies, 2.0.1 Pictus Geckos, 0.1 AKSB, 0.0.1 RETF, 1.2.0 Dogs

Comment

I went through this with a "surinam" ??boa (room mates snake), it was heartbreaking (and i am not a captive snake person)!!! Took 3 weeks to get rid of mites and RI....it became aggressive and "handed my butt" to me daily....I was covered in bruises!!

I hate that that happened to you....how could that have been "hidden". I am just at a loss at how quickly those symptoms came on without signs at the show? Do you think that person knew and hid it? Would someone do that?!!! I just don't see how making a couple bucks would be worth the rep that would come from selling a sick animal....they are not inanimate objects!!
          Last edited by Refused Autopsy; 06-19-2009, 11:12 AM. Reason: Clarification. I do not think others should not have snakes..just not me..lol!!! I am "Chicken" when they stand up!!!
          5.7.1 Crested Gecko
          2.0 Leopard Gecko

Comment

That is horrible, I am sorry to hear about, RI infections in snakes are so not fun.
            Roxanne
            and the zoo
            www.geckoluv.com

Comment

Originally posted by Refused Autopsy View Post
              I went through this with a "surinam" ??boa (room mates snake), it was heartbreaking (and i am not a captive snake person)!!! Took 3 weeks to get rid of mites and RI....it became aggressive and "handed my butt" to me daily....I was covered in bruises!!

I hate that that happened to you....how could that have been "hidden". I am just at a loss at how quickly those symptoms came on without signs at the show? Do you think that person knew and hid it? Would someone do that?!!! I just don't see how making a couple bucks would be worth the rep that would come from selling a sick animal....they are not inanimate objects!!
              well when the snake is cold like it was at the show it's breathing is slowed to, I should have squeezed it at the show, I am not new to snakes but ball pythons I had been researching care and such for months so I naturally did not even think to squeeze it, when it got into proper conditions, she started to breath like that, it is actually my friend, who is a snake man, who caught it. I am soo worried about her I am making an appointment today to go o the vet. as for the mites I have no idea where they came from, unless I am misidentifying these little guys, I found two black dots about 1/16" one was crawling on her head and the other I found on the side of the bowl but those where the only two so far? I would post who I got her from but I do not know if that is allowed
              thanks,
              Brad

Rhacodactylus Ciliatus

Comment

Wow, I'm very sorry you are going through this!! How horrible to think you are buying something healthy, and it turns out the condition was hidden. Sounds to me like the person knew, (how could they not know!), and I hope that you do find the seller again!

I hope that the vet visit goes well, and that she's feeling better soon!
                sigpic
                ~ JENN ~
                1 Daughter ~
                1 Chihuahua Cookie
                1.2 Pine Isle Chahouas Shrek Sugar & Spice
                1.2 Cresteds MrGoodbar Lollipop TootsieRoll
                1.0 Gargoyle Wyvern (Living the life at Lunars house with a girl!)

Comment

I will be thinking of your new girl!!!

Please keep us updated...I know how they can really get your heart...especially balls!!! They are more like lap dogs than snakes!!!

I will keep my finger crossed for a speedy recovery!!!
                  5.7.1 Crested Gecko
                  2.0 Leopard Gecko

Comment

thanks, she is going to the vet on friday unfortunately it was the only available time, as for the suspected mites, she has none attached to her but I am going to nip this in the butt, would you guys use zoo med mite off or natural chemistry's reptile relief?
                    thanks,
                    Brad

Rhacodactylus Ciliatus

Comment

Brad,

So sorry to hear about your pastel . Possible mites - I would change her bedding every day. You can go to walmart or target and get lice bedding spray, it is the same thing as prevent-a-mite and MUCH cheaper. After spraying the bedding let it dry before putting her back. We use it every time our tubs are changed. As well as soaking her, you can dampen a soft towel with warm water and let your snake "slide" through the towel a coulple of times. This will help remove some.
                      As far as the RI I would get rid of the heat lamp, IMO that is too much heat. If she cant get to a cool spot if she needs to, that will stress her more! I would get some aspen for her bedding. Just putting some paper towles down may not be enough between her and the heat pad, she may get tummy burn if she sits on that side of the tank and if you do not have a thermostat to hold the temp. One of our friend just had that happen to a baby. Most importantly, keep her away from all other reptiles (I'm sure you know) some RI are contagious!!! Your vet will probably swab her for test, give her a shot, then give you some shots to bring home to continue treatment.

GOOD LUCK. I hope this helps you!!! Let me know and how she makes out!

Brandie
                      Last edited by brandieb; 06-28-2009, 10:08 AM. Reason: added to bellie burn comment
                      Brandie

www.cbballpythons.com
                      5.5.7.3 Cresties - 1.2.1 Gargoyle - 1.1 M.I. Chahoua - 1.1.0.4 P.I. Chahoua - 0.0.1 Leachie

"I'm in the high-fidelity first class travelling set.......I think I need a Lear jet"

Comment

P.S.

PM me with who you bought it from. I may be able to get contact info for you.

Brandie
                        Brandie

www.cbballpythons.com
                        5.5.7.3 Cresties - 1.2.1 Gargoyle - 1.1 M.I. Chahoua - 1.1.0.4 P.I. Chahoua - 0.0.1 Leachie

"I'm in the high-fidelity first class travelling set.......I think I need a Lear jet"

Comment

thanks,
                          well she went to the vet on weds, I am giving her 2ccs of a antibotic/broncodialater, she gets this through a nebulizer 2x a day, she is getting a rub down with reptile relief every 3 days, and provent-a-mite when I clean the bedding, I took the light off and am running the heat tape at 88-92, I do have a thermostat on there as well as twice to three times daily heat checks, she only had mites around her eyes when I took her to the vet, so on top of the regular mite treatments I am swiping her eyes with a qtip with a saline solution, hopefully she will be ok in a couple days, I am half way through her treatment and she ate last night so that must be a good sign
                          thanks,
                          Brad

Rhacodactylus Ciliatus

Comment

That sucks. I do know that I refuse to buy from vendors who keep their animals cold at shows, they do this to make the animals seem "calm and tame" when in fact, they're practically in torpor.
                            I hope you can get a refund and take this as a learning experience, a good seller/vendor will have heat and basking temps set up for the animals they sell (that need it), or they will let you know upfront that the animal is cool and slow.
                            There are lots of shadey exploitative people in the reptile industry, sad to say.
                            There are really good ones too though.
                            Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Comment

I'm sorry to hear all this! Shady venders suck! I hope your snake responds well to treatment. It sounds like you got everything under control, at least. Kudos to you for all that you've done for your snake, and your quick response to the situation. Please keeps us posted.

An easy fix for mites as well is olive oil. Totally safe for the snake, you can use it on their head, don't have to worry about chemicals. Stays on the snake for a while and kills the mites on contact. You can use it on the cage as well.
                              Christy
                              4.8.6 crested geckos
                              1.0.0 husband
                              (JordanM: with too many blood pythons and eggs to count)
                              0.1.0 Princess Lorissa
                              Jordan Mullen's Blood Pythons
                              Don't panic, I have my towel.

Comment

Working...
                              X