White grub worms in BP vivarium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White grub worms in BP vivarium

Hello. I have been establishing a bioactive vivarium for my ball python. I recently purchased Pangea substrate, cork bark, and hydro balls. I am colonizing springtails and dwarf white isopods. This morning I noticed one small white worm that looks like a tiny grub or larvae. Can anyone help me identify what it is and if I should allow it to live or start treating for an insect problem. Thank you.

Looks like it might be some kind of fly larvae. Do you have fish? They would probably eat the larvae.

These insects are not parasitic or anything but you might want to catch them before they mature and annoy you.
    3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

Nope, I don't have fish. Only my bioactive vivariums for my ball pythons. They have the drainag layer, screen, substrate, plants and uth pads. I am.trying to identify these types of worms/larvae to be sure they won't kill plants or hurt my BP or my isopods and springtails, rather be a benefit to the bioactive system and help eat waste or aerate the substrate, but I haven't moved my BP to this vivarium as of yet so I currently have the opportunity to treat it and dry it out once I know what these things are and if they're a pest or a danger. I found a few more types this evening.
      Attached Files

Comment

OK, the creatures in your second post look more like nematodes or some other kind of worm, as opposed to larvae of some kind of insect. I am not sure whether these ones are problematic. They are indicative of high moisture levels, though. Try stirring up your soil and letting it get dry.
        3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

Working...
        X