Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this sound good for an isopod terrarium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this sound good for an isopod terrarium?

Hey!
    I want to keep an "emergency" enclosure for my crested gecko, as in somewhere where i can put her while i clean her tank, and ive also thought that this is a good opportunity to keep some isopods too! Ive researched into them and ive seen that theyre VERY easy to keep alive, so ive come up with a small shopping list for them, and i would like your opinion if this sounds good!

- Exo terra nano tall (20X20X30)
    - Arcaida earthmix/earthmix arid (Whichever one i have some leftovers from)
    - spare leaf litter
    - Small piece of spiderwood
    - Small bits of cork bark
    - A couple of pothos
    - Exo terra water dish fountain
    - Fake plant that stick on the side, that i have left over from when i upgrade my gecko enclosure

This would be used to house springtails and probably giant orange woodlice and/or tropical grey woodlice
    Would this suffice? I also want it to be interesting to look at and sort of a nice little terrarium for my shelf

Thanks!

Also, ive read mixed reviews on the water dish fountain by exo terra, so would there be a small, reliable water feature that could replace this?

Comment

If it's mainly just for isopods, and you won't be keeping a gecko in there for any length of time, you can just mist them lightly once a day, or a little heavier 2 or 3 times a week. No need for a water dish. It sounds like a great little terrarium! I have had 3 plastic shoeboxes with 3 different kinds of isopods in them for about a year now, and they do really well with a once-a-week spritz, and most of the things you listed above. Just remember to feed them as well; a baby carrot once a week or so, an apple slice, they will also eat the leaf litter, or leftover Pangea. Very easy to keep!
      Eileen
      TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
      Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

The water dish is the #1 cause of death of isopods in my largest planted viv (they drown), so I agree with TAD on how to keep them. When you're using the enclosure for your gecko, add a water dish, but take it out when the gecko is elsewhere.
        3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

ooh ok. i just really want a water feature in there cos they look stunning
          ive got a mix of aspen, earthmix arid and leaf litter as their substrate, if thats ok for them
          and yeah ima be keeping my gecko in there, but ONLY as a place to put her when im cleaning her. Honestly its just an excuse for my mum to let me get an isopod terrarium xD

Comment

Working...
          X