Feeding micro geckos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding micro geckos

Looking at a Cameroon dwarf gecko - I have an empty 8x8x12 terrarium, and thought this might be a nice addition; diurnal and beatiful - too fast to be handleable, though (& that's OK with me). I am wondering how difficult it is to feed and clean a small tank for these micro geckos. The care sheet says they will eat CGD as a supplement, which is great, but that they would eat flightless fruit flies and pinhead crickets when grown. I have avoided crickets with my other lizards, and have never kept or tried to feed flightless fruit flies. I don't know anything about keeping them - how often I would have to buy for a single gecko, how do you feed them, etc.

I also wonder, since they say these guys are fast, how much of a flight risk they are when I need to clean the tank. I probably would not go bioactive, so it would probably just involve removing a mat substrate, a piece of cork bark and a fake plant or two. I would get only one dwarf gecko.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

I highly recommend that you do a bioactive setup so you don't have to clean the enclosure. I have micro geckos (at the moment Sphaerodactylus sputator and the somewhat larger Gonatodes albogularis fuscus), one in an 8x8x12 and one in a 12x12x12. If you get a flightless fruit fly culture from a reasonable source (not the big box pet stores; their flies don't seem to live as long), you can have enough to feed for at least a month before they die. I'm sure google will show you how to culture your own. They are usually kept in a 32oz deli cup with a vented cover. To feed, simply tap the container so the flies fall to the bottom, open it and dump some flies into a small container with supplement. Shake to coat and put them in the cage. If you are near a reptile store, you can buy pinhead crickets. If I get too many, they just get fed to my next largest size gecko.

Aliza

Comment

Working...
    X