Noob to leopard geckos please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob to leopard geckos please help

Hi I am new I am getting my first leopard gecko I don’t know fully what the condition it has been kept in only what I have heard about him. What should I look for or do when I get him apart from letting him sit for a few days. I don’t believe he has been fed gut loaded but I will be doing so. I am in general look for any tips anyone has for beginners owners. Thank you

Keep it warm, give it lots of hiding spots, feed it well, and leave it alone for a week or two.
    I an assuming that you have researched proper care and housing for this species.

Comment

The Geckos Unlimited forum has a lot more information on leopard geckos. Aliza - acpart on this forum, is a moderator on that one, and very knowledgeable along with others who can help you get started.

Here is a basic leopard gecko care sheet: http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care...Leopard-Gecko/
      Eileen
      TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
      Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

I'm actually not a moderator on Geckos Unlimited, but I do check it out nearly every day. Read the care sheet and then come back here with specific questions, otherwise I'd have to reproduce a care sheet in this thread which I don't want to have to do.

Aliza

Comment

Originally posted by Herpin Man View Post
          Keep it warm, give it lots of hiding spots, feed it well, and leave it alone for a week or two.
          I an assuming that you have researched proper care and housing for this species.
          Thank you so much and yes I have done a lot of research but any information will be a great help.

Comment

Thank you I have done quite a lot of research but I am always looking for any information anyone can provide

Comment

In a nutshell, the most important things for a leopard gecko are:
              --proper heat (low 90's on floor of hot side measured by temp gun or digital thermometer with probe
              --proper supplementation (calcium with vitamin D3 used to dust feeders every other feeding)
              --reasonable amount of space (minimum 20 gallon long --12"x30" floor space for an adult
              --safe substrate (ceramic tiles are great, also paper towel, repti-carpet and, if you have to use something particulate, eco earth)

the rest is commentary.

Aliza

Comment

Thank you for your helpful information it will be a great help to me.

Comment

My leopard gecko loved a having a heating mat. Also, they will get into/behind anything you put in there cage so be careful you don't put anything in the cage that could hurt them. For example, my leopard gecko got behind the styrofoam backdrop that I had glued to the back of his terrarium for decor and inside a hollow fake cactus.
                  I never fed meal worms as they can easily cause impaction In leopard geckos.
                  I gut loaded my crickets but you don't need to dust them. Leopard geckos know how much calcium they need and will lick up calcium powder from a dish as they need it.
                  My never liked being handled but would tolerate it. I wouldn't try to handle for the first week and also if he doesn't eat for the first week you get him that would be normal as he is adjusting.
                  Also, I wouldn't try to offer food for the first 2 days as it may stress him.
                  As far as health problems to look for the main thing is whether he has a fat tail. The fatter the tail the healthier the gecko as they store fat and nutrients in it.
                  Hope this helps

Comment

I find leopard geckos like having things to climb in their tanks, I have a cork fake log thingy that I put above their regular hides in the warm spot, they like climbing up into the log and even on top of it. Just make sure it's not up too high where they could injure themselves if they fall.
                    The mealworm impaction thing is a myth, my leos always have access to a dish of mealworms with vitamins and calcium powder on them and get roaches and crickets too. I gut load all of my feeders with whatever I can get them, be it apples, potatoes, oats, fish flakes, cucumbers or greens from the garden (no pesticides or insecticides, though!). Bugs only give your herp nutrition if you feed them too!
                    A heat mat or heat cable underneath the tank is the best you can do for a leo, they're nocturnal so any light bulbs will just make them hide. With a properly sized tank, the mat will give them a warm zone and a cool zone, they can choose which side they need. Give them a hide on each side, in the wild they're a tasty snack and they know it even in captivity. Consider making or buying a wet hide also (a cave with some moist substrate at the bottom and a lid you can lift to spray the substrate with water).
                    Good luck with your gecko!
                    3.5 crested geckos
                    2.5 leopard geckos
                    0.2 mourning geckos
                    1.1 tokay geckos
                    1.1 giant day geckos
                    1.1 madagascar ground geckos

Comment

Mealworms are fine for leos, but more of an impaction risk for cresties, or so I've read. (Would prefer not to take the chance with my crestie.)
                      Eileen
                      TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
                      Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

I feed my crestie females mealworms and superworms very scarcely, mostly to help them fatten up before winter since I let them brumate from November to January and they're less active during that time. They're more of a treat than anything and I always watch them to make sure they don't choke.

Since this gecko in question is a leo, I can recommend mealworms if the lizard is healthy enough and has an under the tank heater which supports digestion of their shells. Calciworms and waxworms may also be used, but not all geckos seem fond of calciworms and waxworms are very high in fat. Think of crickets as salad, waxworms pizza and mealworms as apples.
                        3.5 crested geckos
                        2.5 leopard geckos
                        0.2 mourning geckos
                        1.1 tokay geckos
                        1.1 giant day geckos
                        1.1 madagascar ground geckos

Comment

Noob to leopard geckos please help

Great information

Comment

Working...
                          X