Mourning Gecko Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mourning Gecko Question

I have a mourning gecko who has just started laying. In her first clutch, just one egg was viable. In her second, that appears to be the case as well. Is this normal when they first start producing?

The first egg just hatched, can't get over how tiny yet perfect these little geckos are!

if they are anything like Crested Geckos, then yes its perfectly normal. But Id wait for someone else to answer. Congrats on the first hatchling!
    .1.DOG Jiggles
    1.1.CRESTED GECKO Phantom & Lovely
    .1.YBST Cloveth
    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis RIP
    1.0.2COCKATIELS

Comment

I've bred dozens of species, and not all geckos have the same pattern of infertility or issues with eggs in the first year. So, I don't think comparing them to crested geckos is a good assumption to make because it could potentially be a different or more serious issue.

Of all the reading I've done, I've never come across anyone even mentioning this particular issue with these geckos, which is what is concerning me. So, I worry that perhaps the adult animals need more of something in their diet or environment. And unfortunately, their care before I got them wasn't exactly ideal, although they appear well fed and no worse for wear.

Comment

Originally posted by Niffarious View Post
        I've bred dozens of species, and not all geckos have the same pattern of infertility or issues with eggs in the first year. So, I don't think comparing them to crested geckos is a good assumption to make because it could potentially be a different or more serious issue.

Of all the reading I've done, I've never come across anyone even mentioning this particular issue with these geckos, which is what is concerning me. So, I worry that perhaps the adult animals need more of something in their diet or environment. And unfortunately, their care before I got them wasn't exactly ideal, although they appear well fed and no worse for wear.
        okay. IDK, I was just saying. That does sound concerning though, the fact that youve never come this issue. goodluck. I hope its normal.
        .1.DOG Jiggles
        1.1.CRESTED GECKO Phantom & Lovely
        .1.YBST Cloveth
        .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
        1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis RIP
        1.0.2COCKATIELS

Comment

Ah, sorry! I didn't mean to sound snarky. I've just learned by experience that every species is different and has its quirks.

Normally I'd like to speak with other breeders, but I can't find anyone nearby working with these guys. And it seems odd it's never been mentioned in any of the bazillions of articles, papers, posts etc. that I read on them.

Comment

It's totally normal. Mourning geckos will often start by laying dud eggs, one egg at a time, or two eggs with only one fertile. It's incredibly common. As they mature, you'll get more consistency.

I've worked with these guys for several years now and raised many from babies to adulthood.
            https://www.facebook.com/Creptileroom

Comment

Originally posted by Crestielovely View Post
              It's totally normal. Mourning geckos will often start by laying dud eggs, one egg at a time, or two eggs with only one fertile. It's incredibly common. As they mature, you'll get more consistency.

I've worked with these guys for several years now and raised many from babies to adulthood.
              Thanks for taking the time to answer! Good to know.

Another question for you, if you don't mind: do hatchlings readily take to CGD, or are they better started on insects?

Comment

Working...
              X