Question on Soil - my crickets are dying & I'm worried for my anole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Soil - my crickets are dying & I'm worried for my anole

My son and I have been raising a green anole for about a year now in the original small cage she came in. Potting soil base with a philodendron plant provided by the seller. She catches and eats crickets which live in the cage with her.

I thought it would be nice to upgrade her to a larger cage, more plants and bought three new plants (2 philodendrons and a dracaena) and tank and potting soil (Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Soil). Also added cypress mulch over about a third of the soil surface area.

This morning, we woke to crickets with what looks to be neurological problems (rear legs straight out behind them and appearing to be dying). Anole has been immediately removed and back in old cage and at the present appears to be okay.

Help please - anyone aware of issues like this. And can you please suggest what to use as substrate? I'm scared I've hurt our little anole in the process of trying to be nice.

Thanks in advance!

Denise & O

That product contains chicken manure. You also need to be sure that the new plants you purchased have not been treated with pesticide...which it sounds like they likely were given the state of the crickets.

Use plants that have not been sprayed, and a soil mix that does not contain manures and fertilizer.

You may want to look up ABS soil mixes, as well as bioactive terrariums in general.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Niffarious View Post
      That product contains chicken manure. You also need to be sure that the new plants you purchased have not been treated with pesticide...which it sounds like they likely were given the state of the crickets.
      Thank you for the feedback. Pulled all the plants after reading your reply. Charlot is still in her old tank and we will be doing another "do-over" tomorrow with new substrate (EcoEarth) and artificial plants from our local pet store for the time being until we can sort out where to get plants that we can be certain haven't been treated with pesticides.

Our little green gal and her dinner thank you!

Denise & O

Comment

Working...
      X