Advise?New Fat-tail won't eat or drink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise?New Fat-tail won't eat or drink

So I've kept various reptiles for 25 years. This is my first AFT. Got him a month ago from Petco as a 60g adult male. He was housed on bark with a water bowl and 1/2 log hide. They said he had been there a year and were so happy to see him go to someone who knew reptiles(I buy crickets there and knew he had been there at least 6 months that I have seen him). Store policy only allowed them to feed him crickets. I put him on papertowels the first week and then ecoearth(like all my other humid reptiles). He has a moist hidebox with moss that stays 95-100F. Enclosure is 75 on cool side and 90 on warm side. He loves the humid hide and is active in the tank at night. He will show interest in crickets, but won't eat them after chasing them. Also will not take mealworms or waxworms from a bowl,tongs,wriggling on the ground. He is very calm and just walks from hand to hand or sits in my lap. Didn't handle him the first week and not anymore as he won't eat. He had a normal poop and shed after 2 days with me. The poop then got smaller over a few days and became only the white urine. Now I haven't even seen urine in 2 weeks. He is not sluggish and does not appear sick at all. I have run the gambit of reptile illnesses over the years and have seen it all, so I'm pretty confident I would have an idea of illness. NEVER have I had this experience with any lizard unless I was intentionally brumating them. Any ideas? I am out of ideas and will not go to the vet unless I do see illness as they often do more harm than good in my experience. This is why I never buy petstore animals, kicking myself now. Click image for larger version

Name:	20160503_124703.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1102074Click image for larger version

Name:	20160503_124638.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1102075

He looks pretty good. I've had my ups and downs with fat tails and eating. Sometimes they go on fasting jags. Usually I hold the gecko gently and poke a cricket at his mouth. Often the gecko will bite the cricket and eat it. Sometimes that "jumpstarts" them to eat again. Otherwise, keep offering and don't sweat it unless he visibly starts losing a lot of weight. I've had geckos that don't eat for a surprisingly long time and are fine.

Aliza

Comment

Working...
    X