Getting a Leopard gecko!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a Leopard gecko!

Hello, I'm getting a leopard gecko hopefully tomorrow and I just want to make sure that I have everything I ned before I get one. Could you give me some feedback?

Info about my habitat;
    -10 gallons
    -normal heat lamp
    -fleece bedding
    -sticks w/fake leaves
    -thermometer
    -rock
    -cardboard hideout
    -water dish
    -toilet paper roll
    Other things I have
    -Mealworms (food)
    - Calcium powder (will put on food and in a small dish)
    - Spray bottle
    - Heat lamp timer

No lamps. Most Leo do not need a lamp the only reason I have one is for day night cycles... which I will be taking down soon. They digest via belly heat and I can't even tell you how many posts (in this forum alone) I've seen about a Leopard Gecko having minor to severe burns because the owner chose to use a lamp of some sort. You need a heat mat to put under the tank. if the fleece bedding is the repti carpet then that will work. Thermometer good, hides good, the rock isn't a heat rock is it? Mealworms are ok. The calcium to put on the worms needs to be with D3 and the calcium for in the cage needs to be without D3. Only time I use a spray bottle is to spray the humid hide. and The timer will be unnecessary as they don't need the lamp so I would exchange it for a thermostat to regulate the heat pad so It doesn't go over 95 degrees (F)
    1.2.0 Crested Gecko (Galaxy, Nanner, Haitachi)
    0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Charley)

Business starting in 2017 Awesome Surprises (facebook only atm) breeding Cresties and Gargs! May breed other reptiles and species in the future but for now just going to collect them all!

Comment

Also, the humid hide should be something not cardboard because you'll be spraying it (get a gladware plastic container, cut a hole in the top, put paper towel or coco fiber in it and keep it moist). A 10 gallon will work for a juvenile, but is on the small side and most people recommend a 20 gallon long (30"x12"x12") these days. Enjoy your gecko.

Aliza

Comment

Thanks for letting me know about the heat mat. About how much do they coast? I cant really spend much over $20 since I have 4 other pets to buy supplies for without my parents help...

Comment

You can probably get a leopard gecko for $20 but you get what you pay for. It may not be that healthy. If you're in that kind of financial situation, I recommend you wait until you have more funds.

Aliza

Comment

Yeah not be a rotten downer, but when people say "I can only afford cheap things for my animals" I instantly say "then wait till you are more financially stable". Just because the leopard gecko is one of the 'cheaper' reptiles, that doesn't make them inexpensive. The proper equipment to keep them healthy and happy is very expensive. The gecko alone is going to be around $20 from the pet store (which you really should avoid, buying from breeders is the best option to avoid a sick animal which has the possibility of either dying on you, or required vet care which for exotic animals is VERY expensive).

Not trying to be rude here at all, just giving you an honest opinion to save you from the stress.
            Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
            Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
            1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Comment

Working...
            X