Uromastyx set up and care ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uromastyx set up and care ok?

Hi, I just got a new uromastyx lizard. His name is Willard Willard is about 8 inches nose to tip of tail and is a saharan uromastyx. I have always loved this species, but never owned one before so I was hoping I could describe my set up and you guys could let me know if I am doing alright. There is so much information online, it is hard to know who’s advice to take.
    Cage: a 40 gallon breeder (36 x 18 x 17) I know he will need more space eventually.
    Substrate: I have a 1/4- 1/2 in layer of white millet.
    Lights: He has a reptisun 10.0 uvb tube, a ceramic heat emitter, and a spot bulb. The basking site is approx. 120 degrees F. The cooler side is in the 80s.
    He has a cave that props up the logs for the basking site, but prefers to sleep under the log and on top of the cave when not basking. I am getting him a cool side hide. When I got him, he seemed dehydrated and slurped from a water dish. Ive been keeping it in because the humidity has stayed low. I have been putting in a food dish when I wake up and adding veggies like endive, spring mix, some collard greens, and warmed frozen veggies. I have also sprinkled some mazuri tortoise pellets now and then. He did not seem to eat anything for the first several days I had him (but at that point I was only able to offer collard greens which I know is unacceptable). Yesterday he pooped and it looked like he may have nibbled on his new and improved salad. Does it sound like I am doing things right? I really want to take good care of him. Please let me know any concerns, tips, or suggestions you may have. Thank you!

Everything sounds great. Good luck keeping him!

Comment

He's likely going to get bigger so I would suggest getting a 4ft viv - this will also help with your temperature gradients. Arid species do benefit from having access to a humid area (either burrow or hide) which will help prevent dehydration.

I would look at varying his diet - uros will eat seeds and dry lentils, I would also try offering flowers and wild plants. There are some good guides for what is suitable. The bigger variety you can provide, the better for the animal
      Abronia ~ Hemidactylus ~ Hemitheconyx ~ Holaspis ~ Paroedura ~ Phelsuma ~ Tribolonotus ~ Tropidophorus ~ Tropiocolotes

Comment

Oops, double post!
        Abronia ~ Hemidactylus ~ Hemitheconyx ~ Holaspis ~ Paroedura ~ Phelsuma ~ Tribolonotus ~ Tropidophorus ~ Tropiocolotes

Comment

Working...
        X