Mali Uromastyx substrate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mali Uromastyx substrate?

I know there is a lot of disagreement on the proper substrate for Uromastyx, so I want the opinions of those who have kept Uromastyx or know much about them.

In the wild they live on a hard dirt/ sand mixture which they can dig in to create burrows. To try to replicate this I've dug up some dirt around my house, it's very high in red clay, and mixed it washed play sand. The mixture is about 33% clay/dirt and 66% play sand.

This is what I've come up with:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	1101680

Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	1101681

Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	1101682

The first picture is the sand, the second is the clay/dirt from my yard, and the third is the mixture in a sterilite tub I had laying around.

You will notice that I dug in the mixture after it was dry to see how it would hold up.

What do y'all think? Would it be okay? Should I maybe try to find some organic topsoil without additives to mix in?

I really would rather try to replicate their environment rather than just place some tile down. It may complicate their care but I'm willing to go the extra mile.

They will thank you for this to because they love to dig holes to China. I do not see anything wrong with your mix, spray it with water and see how well the clay holds up for them to dig burrows. If it falls apart the add more clay, you can amend it with topsoil but you would need to add more clay. I did a mix of 3 parts clay, 5 parts sand and 2 parts topsoil for a digging mix and for permanent hard packed burrows I did 4 parts clay, 3 parts sand and 2 parts topsoil and made the burrows myself. I also used excavator clay.

You can also add superworms and their beetles to the enclosure to eat any poop since Uro's are vegetarians, they won't bother them.
    “I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?”-The 11th Doctor.
    1.0.0-Leopard Gecko Ziggy
    1.0.0-Crested Gecko Axel-The Frogman
    0.1.0-Guinea Pig Brownie
    Various insect breeding projects-B.dubia, T. molitor, M. quinquemaculata

Comment

Yeah well that plan fell through... literally. I ended up falling apart. It got so hard when I dried it out that it just collapsed. So I'm thinking of something else..

I'm wondering if I bought either powdered or chunks of pure calcium bentonite clay if it would be better than the clay stuff in my backyard. I'll try to find the links. Just type in pure calcium bentonite on amazon and it should come up

Comment

As long as the clay is not toxic, get whatever works. I saw on a bio-active Facebook group that someone used pottery clay in a leopard gecko enclosure and the only thing that happened was it cracked while drying but it did not damage the structural integrity of the burrow she made.
        “I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?”-The 11th Doctor.
        0.1.0-Guinea Pig Brownie

Comment

I want him to be able to make his own burrow. But I may just have to do it instead.

Comment

Ok I chatted with an Admin from the bio-active group I'm a member of on Facebook and he sent me this video link as a tutorial on how to make the clay and sand to where they can tunnel. It's just a bit of trial and error.

If you want to and are on Facebook, Reptiles and Amphibians Bioactive Setups is a good group of people and several people have set-up Uro tanks.
            0.1.0-Guinea Pig Brownie

Comment

Okay thank you very much! That's very helpful!

Comment

You're welcome
                0.1.0-Guinea Pig Brownie

Comment

Working...
                X